Penn State vs. Iowa

Yeah, Big Ten rotation scheduling and travel partners.....   There are 9 Big Ten duals and 14 teams, so not all teams face each other.  The sad part is, however the rotation fell this year, it allowed Iowa to not only miss Penn State but Michigan and Ohio State as well.

A few years ago, the teams missed each other and Penn State agreed to come to Iowa for a non-conference dual.  That visit has not be returned by Iowa as of yet.  Whether it ever will be is likely based on whether Coach Brands feels like they have a chance to win.  

Edited by SWINfan

2 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

My understanding is Cael Sanderson extended the invite and Brands made noises about doing it, but it has been crickets since. Too late to happen this year. Too bad. Would have loved to see that dual.

That is the perpetual story being told on the Penn St. board.  It's my understanding there was a tacit agreement they would return the favor when Penn State went there, but left open-ended.  Since Iowa has not come to Penn St., Nittany Lion fans crow that Brands is scared and refuses to come to Penn St.  That may be the case, but there is no real evidence a specific discussion has been had about this or any year.  PSU fans just assume every year Iowa isn't on the schedule that they are running scared and they assume the conversation is re-opened every time.  

Extending the invite 5 years ago (guessing on the # of years), does not mean it was extended and refused every year.  It's a technical difference, but if you are getting that from the BWI board, you are getting one side of the story and a speculative one at that.  Anyone that follows PSU understand how little Sanderson speaks openly about the program's dealings.

22 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

That is the perpetual story being told on the Penn St. board.  It's my understanding there was a tacit agreement they would return the favor when Penn State went there, but left open-ended.  Since Iowa has not come to Penn St., Nittany Lion fans crow that Brands is scared and refuses to come to Penn St.  That may be the case, but there is no real evidence a specific discussion has been had about this or any year.  PSU fans just assume every year Iowa isn't on the schedule that they are running scared and they assume the conversation is re-opened every time.  

Extending the invite 5 years ago (guessing on the # of years), does not mean it was extended and refused every year.  It's a technical difference, but if you are getting that from the BWI board, you are getting one side of the story and a speculative one at that.  Anyone that follows PSU understand how little Sanderson speaks openly about the program's dealings.

Believe me I  know how one sided BWI is. It is interesting to keep up on the many ways they have been slighted by Flo, for example, when the largest number of stories are about PSU.