Congratulations forum for making it through the season withoug a major class post on class wrestling

1st lets keep It that way.  To the Chagrin of Galagore, this is the year without a major class wrestling debate.  Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall a major discussion.    Probably a good thing because it gives the dead  horse a chance to recuperate.    Anyway, Im saving all my "A" material for next years debate just in case.

5 hours ago, WrestleMan said:

What is the cutoff? 1000 students? If we were to go to two classes, would anyone foresee wrestlers transferring to smaller schools to win an individual state title? 

690 would be the cut-off for splitting the schools in half based on enrollment. There are 154 schools with 690+ and 154 with less than 690 students.

Transferring is out of control right now...so who knows what would happen. Look at this year's state champs
106- From Ohio
113- Wrestled as a freshman at Crown Point
120- Wrestled as a freshman at Perry Meridian
126- Originally from Lake Central
132- Wrestled 7th grade at Danville
160- Originally from Shenandoah
170- Wrestled as a freshman at Jennings County
285- Wrestled at Ben Davis as a freshman, played on the Ben Davis state champion football team in 2017

Just now, Y2CJ41 said:

690 would be the cut-off for splitting the schools in half based on enrollment. There are 154 schools with 690+ and 154 with less than 690 students.

Transferring is out of control right now...so who knows what would happen.

I agree the transferring is crazy. This could have an impact on where kids are transferring to though. Maybe kids wouldn't be as inclined to transfer to the larger schools and instead choose a smaller school for their shot. Maybe it wouldn't have an impact at all, but to me it's interesting to think about.  

17 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

1st lets keep It that way.  To the Chagrin of Galagore, this is the year without a major class wrestling debate.  Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall a major discussion.    Probably a good thing because it gives the dead  horse a chance to recuperate.    Anyway, Im saving all my "A" material for next years debate just in case.

Consider me fully chagrined.

15 minutes ago, bbulldog152 said:

Why 2 and not 3 like they use for team state? I personally feel the format they have for team evens things out pretty good.

Two classes mean about 155 teams per class. That still means you are in the top 10% of the state if you qualify for state. It also means there would not be as much dilution of talent.

If two classes work you could always add a third like Illinois did, but I'd rather start with two then expand.

17 minutes ago, bbulldog152 said:

Why 2 and not 3 like they use for team state? I personally feel the format they have for team evens things out pretty good.

Seems like 2 would be an easier thing to pitch to IHSAA. Big school champ and small school champ.

My preferred thing for 3 classes would be big, small, private. Then the private schools can do whatever they want to attract talent and compete against each other.

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Transferring is out of control right now...so who knows what would happen. Look at this year's state champs
106- From Ohio
285- Wrestled at Ben Davis as a freshman, played on the Ben Davis state champion football team in 2017

As I looked at the top Teams at State Finals I told my son , that if you don't by pure chance have random athletes who just happen to be top notche wrestlers move to your school for better education it is a uphill battle.  EMD pretty much has the same kids year after year so in my opinion the one people try to blame for it really don't but I could be wrong.

Edited by tskin

4 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

106- From Ohio

huh ????   but the public address guy, the jumbo-tron and the interweb all said it was his first year....... you have to be wrong

4 minutes ago, JMILL said:

huh ????   but the public address guy, the jumbo-tron and the interweb all said it was his first year....... you have to be wrong

@Y2CJ41 has info on ___,___,___ that’s a lot of comas, kids on this site . 

Nobody slides by unchecked . 

The Notorious 

If you split to two classes, is Mater Dei forced to wrestle with the smaller schools?  Is there any other school that voluntarily wrestles out of their "class" for the Duals State Title?  With less than 500 students, would MD kids be better off dominating "Class A" or competing with the big boys?  

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

If you split to two classes, is Mater Dei forced to wrestle with the smaller schools?  Is there any other school that voluntarily wrestles out of their "class" for the Duals State Title?  With less than 500 students, would MD kids be better off dominating "Class A" or competing with the big boys?  

IHSAA rules allow schools to move up a class if they choose to do so.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.