Impact freshman

ontherise219

5 minutes ago, MackG said:

An 87 lber wrestling a 106 (that most likely walks around at 110) is equal to a 145 wrestling a 175 lber.  Giving up 20% of body weight. 

That is significant for sure.  My point is that an undersized 106's disadvantage is the same as a good 171 pound freshman.  Both will take their lumps because both have a disadvantage which all freshmen do.  Why does it seem there are more 106 in the list of top incoming?

At 106, you will probably never see a senior.  So if you wait a year and make 106, you have basically ensured you will not struggle.  You start your career like a senior at the upper weights because you would rarely see anyone older than you.  You really should dominate at that point.  So I think there is a perceived incentive for those kids to repeat a grade because they see a chance at a title immediately.  What I am saying is that it is still worth it to let the kids struggle despite the lure of a 106 title as a freshman.  Other kids struggle and still succeed as they mature.  I just don't think the carrot justifies holding kids back because they will at least be facing kids their age to start.

this is silly.  why would anyone care what another family is doing, whether it be holding a kid back or moving communities.    you do what's best for your own kid and not worry about what other kids are doing. 

I have pros and cons for both sides of holding kids back but ultimately it's a personal decision to do what's best for your kid. 

I can see both sides. Personally, I lacked mental maturity as a 17-18 yr old and could have used another year at home.  And that has nothing to do with wrestling.

Another consideration undersized freshman not only lack size, they lack testosterone. 

But some kids are ready and wrestling only lasts so long, so focusing on education is best for some.

But I agree that each family’s decision is their own. And regardless of what they decide, it really isn’t anybody else’s business. 

Edited by MackG

I get your point, but I think the degree of difficulty is different. It's my observation that a talented freshman 171 can hold his own with 'most' upperclassmen, but I agree he is likely going to take some lumps.

Southridge has a 90lb freshman. I could tell from watching he had some skill, and if he sticks with it he'll do well; but, I don't believe he was able to win a match all year. As mentally tough as a youngster may be, that's hard.

I do agree with your larger point and although it was hard, it was a good experience for my son. My main point was and still is, "I" wouldn't do it differently, but I certainly understand why some parents consider it.

3 hours ago, doctorWrestling said:

That is significant for sure.  My point is that an undersized 106's disadvantage is the same as a good 171 pound freshman.  Both will take their lumps because both have a disadvantage which all freshmen do.  Why does it seem there are more 106 in the list of top incoming?

At 106, you will probably never see a senior.  So if you wait a year and make 106, you have basically ensured you will not struggle.  You start your career like a senior at the upper weights because you would rarely see anyone older than you.  You really should dominate at that point.  So I think there is a perceived incentive for those kids to repeat a grade because they see a chance at a title immediately.  What I am saying is that it is still worth it to let the kids struggle despite the lure of a 106 title as a freshman.  Other kids struggle and still succeed as they mature. I just don't think the carrot justifies holding kids back because they will at least be facing kids their age to start.

15 hours ago, RaiderColfax said:

Better future? Please explain more 😂

He did not live in the best neighborhoods and now he lives behind the Lee family. Also, no offense to the Evansville schools, but take a moment to look up where Brownsburg ranks in the state (academically), it’s near the top. Lastly, his dad got an incredible job opportunity here as well. 

Curious to hear why his future was better there.

7 hours ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

He did not live in the best neighborhoods and now he lives behind the Lee family. Also, no offense to the Evansville schools, but take a moment to look up where Brownsburg ranks in the state (academically), it’s near the top. Lastly, his dad got an incredible job opportunity here as well. 

Ohhh I heard that many years ago. 

My family is living both sides of this situation currently.  I have a 5th and 6th grade grandson who are both very small (50 pounds and 65 pounds)….who are both very young for their respective grade.  I also have a 4th grade grandson from my other child who was born the day before the 6th grade grandson.  All are academically outstanding and socially fine as far as I know.  The parents of my 4th grade grandson decided to do an extra year of preschool and an extra year of kindergarten.  When he reaches 6th grade he'll look like superman, where as my 5th and 6th graders now struggle to compete at the MS 75 pound weight class.  

The travel baseball coaches for our grandsons preach holding kids back for a better chance at a scholarship.  It's a different world.

My daughter was the oldest kid in her class. We held her back in kindergarten because she would have been the youngest in her class and was not emotionally ready in our opinion and it all worked out fine.  All of the teacher or counselors said the same thing. No parents who held their kid back as they start school ever regretted but many parents who didn’t wish they had. The reason they wish they had was because to hold them back later is too late (i.e. too hard on them socially/culturally). 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 5:12 PM, Kyle Ayersman said:

Can’t never go wrong for job advancement, but the schools in Evansville are not as bad as you may think. Evansville area schools have high marks as well. US news and world report has 2 Evansville area schools above Brownsburgh and 1 other not too far behind. That’s not including the Catholic Schooling which has very high academic and success rates. 

Crime rate as Matthew has stated is not even comparable. The Ville is getting bad. 

As a parent myself, it’s ultimatley my wife and I decision as to how we groom our boys. To those that wanna judge my parenting, I just let them fume over it as I know we did the best thing for them and our family. 

19 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Can’t never go wrong for job advancement, but the schools in Evansville are not as bad as you may think. Evansville area schools have high marks as well. US news and world report has 2 Evansville area schools above Brownsburgh and 1 other not too far behind. That’s not including the Catholic Schooling which has very high academic and success rates. 

Crime rate as Matthew has stated is not even comparable. The Ville is getting bad. 

As a parent myself, it’s ultimatley my wife and I decision as to how we groom our boys. To those that wanna judge my parenting, I just let them fume over it as I know we did the best thing for them and our family. 

All I know is that Brownsburg was first in the state in ISTEP testing (Standarized tests). They also had all schools in the corporation be rated an A, for like the 6th year in a row. Top notch schools.

Why is this a debate ? @Matthew Nelson Said he did for the better of his Family. 

Doesn’t matter where, he made the best decision for kid(s). I did the same thing 12 years ago , Muncie to Avon . Gotta do what’s best for them . You posters wanna talk like he did something wrong . He moved his family like ***(175) MILES away*** Lol . Not like it’s 5 miles away or to  a different neighborhood thats 15 mins away in Evansville. 

Edited by TeamGarcia
Spell check

46 minutes ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

All I know is that Brownsburg was first in the state in ISTEP testing (Standarized tests). They also had all schools in the corporation be rated an A, for like the 6th year in a row. Top notch schools.

Brownsburg Community School Corp 513 658 78.0% 427 662 64.5% 398 654

60.9%

Carmel High School 1068 1244 85.9% 924 1250 73.9% 872 1241

70.3%

10th grade ISTEP Info copy/paste from Indiana Dept. of Education.  This is sophomore ISTEP results.  Not saying either is bad.  Just a bad stat coach.  

34 minutes ago, Ed Pendoski said:
Brownsburg Community School Corp 513 658 78.0% 427 662 64.5% 398 654

60.9%

Carmel High School 1068 1244 85.9% 924 1250 73.9% 872 1241

70.3%

10th grade ISTEP Info copy/paste from Indiana Dept. of Education.  This is sophomore ISTEP results.  Not saying either is bad.  Just a bad stat coach.  

Straight from the indystar. States Brownsburg has the best combined scores. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.indystar.com/amp/1507804002

Here is the link. Not sure a bad stat is the correct term. I believe it is all relevant, happy and lucky to be at one of the best schools in the state.

A071FC9A-1F7B-4C07-9A2F-D0CBA3C83A8C.png

6 hours ago, Matthew Nelson said:

Better job, better school, better community, more opportunity, less crime. Do i need to go on?

Thats funny? Judgemental pos

Let’s say your kid wasn’t a wrestler, would you have made the move? This was the same stuff that was said when they were trying to get my brother to Mishawaka. Not judgemental, I’ve just heard this song before. That’s what’s funny to me.

Edited by RaiderColfax

8 hours ago, RaiderColfax said:

Let’s say your kid wasn’t a wrestler, would you have made the move? This was the same stuff that was said when they were trying to get my brother to Mishawaka. Not judgemental, I’ve just heard this song before. That’s what’s funny to me.

Not sure why this matters to you. He moved his family 150 or more miles away to a better opportunity for him and his family. Not across town to Mater Dei or Memorial or Castle. Hard to argue that he isn't going to a better school and that his dad didn't get a better job. And maybe it was partially for a better wrestling opportunity too. Can you blame him? Maybe KT gets a scholarship to wrestle in college that he never would have gotten had he stayed at the same school in Evansville. Think about that. That move could change the kids life. Good for him for having the guts to go.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:27 AM, doctorWrestling said:

I guess I am old school, but that is disturbing to me.  Here are a few reasons why it should be discouraged in my opinion.  First, wrestling probably shouldn't be such a priority for parents or kids at that age to want to give up a year of future earnings and leave their classmates so they have a better shot at winning matches.  Secondly, I think a year of taking your losses is a great lesson in life and the sport that will only help you later on and missing that lesson is definitely not going to help when you finally become a freshman in college if you continue in the sport.  I personally would much rather have a kid who struggles and then succeeds than a kid who took an advantage to make it easier to succeed when it comes to preparing for the beatings you will get in college.

I am not trying to attack those who did it.  Maybe a few even have a valid reason for it besides wrestling.  I just personally don't like it and think it isn't going to help them in the long run. 

Check birth dates, at least one of those kids, if they were a freshman this year would have gone away to college as a 17 year old.  You have your right to your opinion, but as the parent, I have way more right to my opinion.  When you get in a spot of realizing your son may be going 1000 miles away for college and they would be doing that at 17 years old - you may decide that's not the best situation to put your child in.  Indiana rules state anyone born after 8/1/2004 should be an 8th grader this year.  

Edited by wrestlingparent
I stand correct, 1000 miles not 2000

4 minutes ago, wrestlingparent said:

Check birth dates, at least one of those kids, if they were a freshman this year would have gone away to college as a 17 year old.  You have your right to your opinion, but as the parent, I have way more right to my opinion.  When you get in a spot of realizing your son may be going 2000 miles away for college and they would be doing that at 17 years old - you may decide that's not the best situation to put your child in.  Indiana rules state anyone born after 8/1/2004 should be an 8th grader this year.  

So your son is going to Hawaii or Alaska for college?

27 minutes ago, WrestleMan said:

Not sure why this matters to you. He moved his family 150 or more miles away to a better opportunity for him and his family. Not across town to Mater Dei or Memorial or Castle. Hard to argue that he isn't going to a better school and that his dad didn't get a better job. And maybe it was partially for a better wrestling opportunity too. Can you blame him? Maybe KT gets a scholarship to wrestle in college that he never would have gotten had he stayed at the same school in Evansville. Think about that. That move could change the kids life. Good for him for having the guts to go.

Oh it doesn’t matter to me, and to begin with I wasn’t attacking him for going to brownsburg. If you go back and read what I have put I never once was going after the nelsons for moving. I’ve just heard all of this before from coaches.

16 hours ago, navy80 said:

A good parent will do whatever they can for their child to succeed. 

Kudos to Nelson for making the move as it was a calculated risk that has paid off, so far. I’d do the same. 

I think its the "whatever they can" part that I tend to disagree on.  Moving to put your kid in a better academic school - totally understand.  Moving to put your kid in a better wrestling school - in some terrible situations, maybe.  Holding your kid back in 8th grade for the sole reason of having an age advantage over 99% of the other kids, that's where I start to wonder what the heck is going on.  You can do too much for your kids also - like parents who do their kid's homework, give them every possible advantage at the cost of letting their kid figure it out.  I would just encourage parents to think about the long term lesson in doing something like that.

6 minutes ago, doctorWrestling said:

I think its the "whatever they can" part that I tend to disagree on.  Moving to put your kid in a better academic school - totally understand.  Moving to put your kid in a better wrestling school - in some terrible situations, maybe.  Holding your kid back in 8th grade for the sole reason of having an age advantage over 99% of the other kids, that's where I start to wonder what the heck is going on.  You can do too much for your kids also - like parents who do their kid's homework, give them every possible advantage at the cost of letting their kid figure it out.  I would just encourage parents to think about the long term lesson in doing something like that.

Some parents pay 6 figures so their kid can go to a certain college...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.