First year?!

Caleb Spires

Congratulations to Dorian Keys winning a state title. I know he is a very inexperienced wrestler, but I had the pleasure of coaching him as an 8th grader at Chapel Hill (Ben Davis) where he was part of an undefeated team. Also coached him as a Freshman at BD. Unfortunately, he didn't finish his Freshman season.

Also want to congratulate his workout partner Lawson Aiken.

Edited by coachnabb

Dorian is freaky athletic.  So strong and such great hips and feet...which I know well from football.  So I knew he'd do good.

In fact, I thought he would win a state championship...NEXT year.  Prior to the season I thought he might surprise and be able to advance to the semistate based on his strength and athleticism.  Total surprise this year with his very limited experience!  Awesome job by him, the coaches, and his teammates!  

Edited by Kookie953

3 hours ago, Sweats McFurley said:

Made me think last night, how many state champs in recent years (10ish) were non AAU/freestyle wrestlers? With HS athletes becoming more single sport athletes, who are some champs that never wrestled out of season?

Several years back used to be a post highlighting every state finalist that was part of a USA Wrestling club and also showed  those that placed in ISWA state at the cadet/junior level.  It usually listes all but a handful of guys were at least involved at the card level.  Figured it was used as a promotional tool to get more kids involved    Not sure if someone hasn’t been worried about do that or if the numbers don’t look as good, but it used to be an interesting read.  

He wrestled at Ben Davis for a few years
https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/predefinedtournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=218340009

As a freshman he was on the roster for the Shamrock Slam in December, but did not wrestle.

He was on the 2017 Ben Davis State Championship football team.

Dorian never wore a singlet in high school until this year as far I understand it.  I have never filled out the finals form for announcements, but we should have said something like “his first time wearing a singlet in high school was this year”.  His first match this year he was one locked hands from from a disqualification.  A few weeks before the sectional he asked me, “So coach how do these overtime rules work”.  He just said and asked some of the most ridiculous questions for someone having so much success.  It’s kind of an inside thing on our team and seemed to get Dorian wrestling even better...and it cracked us up because he really didn’t know the answers or why the questions were funny.   When he would ask a very basic question, guys would same something like “dude if you weren’t a rookie you would know that”.  Again, an inside thing we had going with Dorian.  Kind of had to be there. Lol. 

Snyder 

I like this story. He may or may not have had what sounds like very little previous experience in wrestling, but either way I dont find it any less impressive.  Sure we want the neat movie script version where the nuance and detail are scrubbed away in the name of the story, but life is messy and rarely ever linear. If his career record equals his 2018-19 record, like what was reported during the intro, then that's good enough for me. And even if the two are ever so slightly different, count me still impressed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.