Something needs to change

roughneck133

4 minutes ago, roughneck133 said:

Ft. Wayne Semi State - the competition needs to get better. 

The area is primarily made up of 1a/2a schools. Would you like to go plant your seed to increase numbers? Schools like Jimtown and Yorktown have year after year produced placers/champs against schools with triple or quadruple their numbers.

There is the Madman Wrestling Academy at Bellmont. It has started turning out some state qualifiers at area schools to the kids that put in the commitment. But then you either get some of the top guys that don't realize what true commitment means to snow up all the time, or you have to guys that think they are too good to train with others and end up hitting a plateau.

11 hours ago, roughneck133 said:

Probably the problem is Ft Wayne the 2nd largest city in the state is not pulling the amount of wrestlers they should be. 

I’d say this sums it up. So you get back what you put in. On the bright side, I doubt they have many top sixteen eliminated in the ticket round. 

Just now, Observing said:

I’d say this sums it up. So you get back what you put in. On the bright side, I doubt they have many top sixteen eliminated in the ticket round. 

Fort Wayne surprising historically has some of the worst death draws. There was a run there where at least every year had a ticket round match of returning State Placers, including a 3rd place rematch

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Fort Wayne surprising historically has some of the worst death draws. There was a run there where at least every year had a ticket round match of returning State Placers, including a 3rd place rematch

Just last year the #1 ranked 138 pounder was put out in the ticket round.

19 hours ago, littlevito said:

There is the Madman Wrestling Academy at Bellmont. It has started turning out some state qualifiers at area schools to the kids that put in the commitment. But then you either get some of the top guys that don't realize what true commitment means to snow up all the time, or you have to guys that think they are too good to train with others and end up hitting a plateau.

Remember also that the area has many 1A and 2A schools with 3 sport athletes. I'll take team success over individual. If individual happens that's even better. Don't forget our Adams County and surrounding areas are rural farming communities. Hay and straw have to be baled and livestock tended. Plus we also have a ton of residents who only go to 8th grade and don't go to our schools.

My favorite subject. We down right suck right now. I really wish it wasn’t so. You are correct that the small schools do a great job. The pride and community in the Adams area alone helps. But in general we aren’t getting it done. SAC would produce at least 1 or 2 champs a year or at least get some the finals a couple decades ago.  But there has been a big drought there for a while. I will not bag on the coaches of those schools they are fighting the good fight but it is a big up hill battle.  No middle school programs is where it starts but there is also more issues at play.  We all would love to get the area back in going. Even if we got some great Academy not sure that will change much. Warrior Elite does a pretty good job but the kids around here aren’t coming out in droves. You can hold a clinic that is free with good coaches and the interest still isn’t that big. Plus it isn’t like good coaches grow on trees. Everyone knows to run a successful program it pretty much fills up your whole life. So if you want to be a good family man it is a tough balance. Which is why you see so many coaches only coach when their kids are going through.

It does seem like part of the problem is the population of the schools that make up the Fort Wayne semi-state. 

How long ago was it that the semi-states went through some "redistricting" (Fort Wayne lost Wawasee and Warsaw, but picked up Jay County, Randolph Southern, Winchester, etc.)? 

Would there be a good way to carve things up in a way that would give Fort Wayne some South Bend area schools? Having Mishawaka and Penn could help change the story on the Fort Wayne semi-state. 

7 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Talking with Robert Faulkens there will be some changes to the sectionals coming. In particular we have the Elkhart sectional that will need a team added as Elkhart Central and Memorial will combine in the Fall of 2020.

Penn would be the closest school I believe...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.