Carson Brewer

1prouddad

11 minutes ago, Mattyb said:

To clarify... (and i know that i really don’t have to but want to help you understand) as he went to make contact with his head, Donahue moved back. At the point he did lunge forward in an attempt to make head to head contact (he likes to be forehead to fire head). Made the mistake of coming forward too hard. It was a mistake but I assure you that it was not malicious. It also took Carson out of his game. He clearly did not wrestle the same after the head butt. He felt bad and didn’t want to do it again. We did get a chance to discuss it with the Donahues last night. Glad to report that we made some new friends. Great people. Culver is going to be very good!!! 

Btw.. he’s good with the boos. Not upset about it. Just proud to be a champ. Hopefully the legend of the pb&j will live on for years! 

the boos speak to how ridiculous those ppl are putting down a hs kid and don't reflect on how most feel about Carson.. He didn't deserve that treatment even though he can handle it.

12 minutes ago, RaiderColfax said:

I’ll never understand boos to a kid. A KID! Sure boo the coaches or staff. But not a kid. It was an unintentional headbutt. There is no need to boo any kid in high school.

Guys it’s fine. Again.. he really don’t care. He’s here at Indy nationals coaching the underclassmen and soaking up being a state champ.

With that said... please don’t do it to other kids. It may crush them. But as far as Carson goes he’s been through enough that one mistake or boos weren’t going to ruin a great season. 

Edited by Mattyb

I was kind of disappointed they showed the replay of the headbutt and even more that the interviewer referenced it in the interview.  Sure, the wrestler shouldn’t have head butted his opponent, whether it was intentional or unintentional.  But the referee made the call and penalized the kid.  So I didn’t think the booing was necessary. 

Edited by piscis1956
Fixing misspelled word

2 hours ago, Kookie953 said:

Anybody that thinks it was intentional needs their head examined.  It's called hard wrestling.  It's stupid to insinuate otherwise.  

It’s called getting head position lol I still have a scar on my eye brow from a guy trying to get head position on me lmao

First I want to congratulate young Mr. Brewer on a state title & a great career. I have appreciated watching him wrestle. Second, I also want to say that I don't believe the head butt tarnished what he accomplished. Wrestling is a physical sport & these sorts of things are going to happen especially in such high stakes/highly intense matchups. Furthermore, I don't believe for a second there was any malicious intent.

But, I am going to have disagree with the majority here in that I didn't care for the PB&J exhibit. He did this in Evansville as well. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think this was some horrible/atrocious act. I just don't see it as appropriate given the setting. The introduction of the two finalists is a moment to recognize both wrestlers that have gotten there. Pulling a stunt like that, while it might be all in good natured fun, is at best an attempt to say 'look at me' while at worst ,IMO, a little disrespectful to your opponent. It's his moment too & you're making light of it. Now while a big majority may not mind it at all, there could be some that would be offended by it. Like it is a statement that you have little to no respect for them & what they have done to get there. JMO

5 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

First I want to congratulate young Mr. Brewer on a state title & a great career. I have appreciated watching him wrestle. Second, I also want to say that I don't believe the head butt tarnished what he accomplished. Wrestling is a physical sport & these sorts of things are going to happen especially in such high stakes/highly intense matchups. Furthermore, I don't believe for a second there was any malicious intent.

But, I am going to have disagree with the majority here in that I didn't care for the PB&J exhibit. He did this in Evansville as well. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think this was some horrible/atrocious act. I just don't see it as appropriate given the setting. The introduction of the two finalists is a moment to recognize both wrestlers that have gotten there. Pulling a stunt like that, while it might be all in good natured fun, is at best an attempt to say 'look at me' while at worst ,IMO, a little disrespectful to your opponent. It's his moment too & you're making light of it. Now while a big majority may not mind it at all, there could be some that would be offended by it. Like it is a statement that you have little to no respect for them & what they have done to get there. JMO

or he is really hungry from wrestling all day?  Reading into a young mans eating habits seems a crazier than a kid actually grubbing b4 his biggest matches of the year...

1 hour ago, SIACfan said:

I didn’t like it either. Call me an old timer but I thought it was disrespectful. Especially for someone who has never been there before. His own teammate Garcia always acts with class. You would never see Howe, Angel, T-shirt’s eat a sandwich in that moment. 

1 minute ago, Gasman said:

I didn’t like it either. Call me an old timer but I thought it was disrespectful. Especially for someone who has never been there before. His own teammate Garcia always acts with class. You would never see Howe, Angel, T-shirt’s eat a sandwich in that moment. 

If i would have pulled out a sandwich like that before my match you can believe my old wrestling coach Walt Prochno would have had me eating sandwiches the next monday followed by copious amounts of stair laps whilst I yack in the trusty Rubbermaid located conveniently at the base of the concrete stairs near mezzanine entrance. 

40 minutes ago, Gasman said:

He's clearly a very talented wrestler, D1 recruit, state champ, etc.  Unfortunately, people will be talking about the sandwich rather than his wrestling for a couple of years.  I know it is all in good fun, but seems out of place.

I didn't intend for my post to start a bashing fest of Carson Brewer. I don't know Carson or his family, but I have never seen anything from him in the past that would lead me to believe that he meant any disrespect. But my previous post sparking some unintended comments is a perfect example that sometimes it doesn't matter what our intentions are, there are going to be some that interpret them negatively.

I suppose that part of why I didn't appreciate the PB&J display is because I think there is too much boastfulness & not enough humility from athletes these days.

In speaking with my son Silas about the head but......he made a great point.  Mind you, Silas knows Carson well and they’ve travelled together competing on the same squad numerous times.  Silas’ perspective.....

”Dad.....Carson likes to establish head position.  Even if he’s got wrist control or in the tie, he looks to position his head.  If I’m trying to do the same thing.....and I head but a kid, the slow motion video will undoubtedly make it look intentional.  It’s like in baseball, if a pitcher accidentally hits a batter.  When they show it in slow motion, to the naked eye it could appear that he threw it right at the guy.  When actually.....he just missed his spot.”

I think Carson deserves a lot of credit for psychologically staying strong.  Getting thrown Laplace on Fri after last years issue with Mahan.....put his mental toughness to the test immediately. And the young man passed with flying colors.   

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

What is with Indiana and them being against kids having a little fun? It’s a sandwich. It’s not him taking away from his opponent at all by eating it. It didn’t affect the outcome of the match in any way. Trent Hidlay literally ate a hoagie after Who’s #1 and it was celebrated as a great celebration by a great wrestler. The kids here can’t do anything spontaneous or out of the ordinary without being called classless. Chad Red got criticized for dancing after winning, same with Deondre. I can only imagine how much excitement runs through someone after winning a state championship or even being in the match.  Brewer ate a sandwich during the face off most likely because he was hungry. It didn’t hurt anyone. They’re kids. Let them have fun. Not everyone has to have these stale facial expressions. We should want some spontaneity.

4 minutes ago, H.B. said:

...It’s a sandwich. It’s not him taking away from his opponent at all by eating it... ...The kids here can’t do anything spontaneous or out of the ordinary without being called classless... ...Brewer ate a sandwich during the face off most likely because he was hungry... They’re kids. Let them have fun.

Do you know for a fact that it did not in any way take anything from his opponents enjoyment of the ceremonial introductions? Because I never came close to calling Carson Brewer classless but apparently that is how you interpreted my thoughts.

I believe I can say with conviction that it wasn't spontaneous and he made a conscious decision to do it at that particular moment given he did the same thing in Evansville the week before. And are you serious that you think he most likely did it because he was hungry? Like that was the only opportunity he had to eat the entire day.

Carson Brewer is obviously a hardworking, dedicated & extremely talented individual. I would never want to deny him of enjoying his accomplishment. But his opponent deserves that same courtesy.

You are right about one thing, these are kids & they should be allowed to have fun. But they also need to learn that there is a right time for jokes just as there is a right time to show respect to your opponent. And the ceremonial introductions of the state finals is a time to show respect, IMO.

7 hours ago, SIACfan said:

You are right about one thing, these are kids & they should be allowed to have fun. But they also need to learn that there is a right time for jokes just as there is a right time to show respect to your opponent. And the ceremonial introductions of the state finals is a time to show respect, IMO.

How funny would it have been if instead of shaking Donahue’s hand, he gave him a bite of the sandwich?!?! #mindblown

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Noticed another awesome Carson Brewer moment while rewatching the finals. Check him out in the background while Raymond Rioux is getting introduced in the FaceTime. He loses his mind and it’s awesome. 

Cool story about those two (Ray and Carson). They started wrestling together in kindergarten under Lee Harris at Avon wrestling club. They both were really really bad! I don't think that either won a single match for a year maybe two. The Riouxs and my family went to tournaments every weekend and we would all leave before lunch. A couple years in we decided to give a kid that was starting an academy out of his parents two car garage a shot. His pets would run across the mat from time to time and when he opened the garage door the wrestling would end up on the asphalt driveway from time to time. That kid was Mr. Ryan Parrish and that is where the Contenders Wrestling Academy started. Since those days we have traveled the county with the Riouxs. Logging countless miles taking and giving lumps. I even coached Ray and his brothers in football. To say that those two go way back is an understatement. What you saw there was legit love for a brother that has walked in the same shoes as him as long as he can remember. My family and I legit feel that much love for Ray and his family. I am sure that the reaction for Asa was similar. Those boys, the Conleys,and the Reynolds have been through so much together. They are all very close. 

With all of that said, he did not mean to offend the tradionalist. He was not showing up Donahue. Im pretty sure that he spent most of his post match interview saying how tough he was. I assure you has expressed to me how much respect he has for young Andrew and thinks that he is going to be really special (we all do). He legit was on the floor getting announced with a handful of his good friends and was just acting like a kid. I really didn't know that he had a sandwich in his pocket until he winked at me and patted his pocket. At that time a started to shake my head no. Then I thought… he is a kid he wants to have fun and be silly (again... sorry if that offends anyone that thinks the face off should be formal). I just shook my head and hoped that nobody took it the wrong way. As soon as One Proud started this thread, I shared his comments with Carson (something I never do as he knows little about this board). He smiled and said, "tell that man thank you! that's exactly what I was going for"! So glad that he got to share his sandwich love with three kids that mean a lot to him also. So.. if hes known for a sandwich and not wrestling, he will be fine with that. I assure that he takes just as much pride in being a lighthearted good friend as he does being a champ. 

With all of that said... Thank you so much to all of the coaches, parents, team leaders, and friends that have been a part of his journey with him. I assure you that he a Jordan are going to go to Ohio and make Indiana wrestling proud. 

Edited by Mattyb

Mr. Brewer,

I would just like to say that I have truly enjoyed watching your son wrestle, and I am confident he will indeed represent Indiana very well in the future.

While I don't believe the ceremonial introductions to be the appropriate moment for joking around, it does not make me think any less of him. I tried to convey that in my initial post. But as we saw, some people who read my comments took them to be more critical of your son than I intended. This is why those moments, which are intended to honor both athletes, are not the appropriate moment for jokes. There is a good chance that his opponents didn't take offense. But you are going to run across some people who are going to see that gesture as disrespect, or they just simply are not going to appreciate someone making light of something they too have worked really hard for.

I hate to sound like an old fart who wants to suck the fun out of everything, but there is a time to 'roast' your friends & there is a time to be serious & honor their accomplishments. And during the formal introductions of the State Finals (& Semi-State), you have an opponent who is sharing that moment with you. Additionally that opponent has parents, grandparents & other family & friends who are proudly watching. Someone making light of the situation may offend some of them as well.

Kids should be allowed to be kids, but they also need to understand that there are times when self control is the prudent action because their actions can & do at times affect others.

Good luck to your son in the future. I wish him nothing but the best.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.