Replay Debate

TeamGarcia

Is there a debate ? 

HS Football soon to get it . 

HS Basketball has it ? 

When does HS Wrestling get it ? 

Every single match is video recorded anyways right. 

So many questionable calls every year. Who wants it ? Do we need it ? Benefits of it ? Pros & Cons ? 

“My Opinion” we need it . Use it only in State Series like they going to do in Football . Maybe a time limit . Everything else is timed anyways . 

This post has nothing to do what happen in the past, it’s over . What’s done is done . Move on . HS Wrestling needs to #Evolve . 

The Notorious 

Edited by TeamGarcia

Seeing how they have over done it in some college meets I’m am hesitant of having it, especially under the coaches control.  Does it fix some mistakes yes, but it also seems to cause problems too with match delays and allowing the tired wrestlers a breather.  I can maybe see it at the higher stakes events if the officials feel the call was close enough that a video replay would be helpful to judge a scoring situation. And even then limit it to a few views and if it’s not decisive the call stands so that the action can continue without. 10min break.  However, I can see how automatically giving replay just because a coach throw a brick could become as much of a hinderance to the match in some cases as it could be a help. 

Edited by MattM

22 minutes ago, MattM said:

Seeing how they have over done it in some college meets I’m am hesitant of having it, especially under the coaches control.  Does it fix some mistakes yes, but it also seems to cause problems too with match delays and allowing the tired wrestlers a breather.  I can maybe see it at the higher stakes events if the officials feel the call was close enough that a video replay would be helpful to judge a scoring situation. And even then limit it to a few views and if it’s not decisive the call stands so that the action can continue without. 10min break.  However, I can see how automatically giving replay just because a coach throw a brick could become as much of a hinderance to the match in some cases as it could be a help. 

Has to be timed I think as mentioned above . Limit the reviews per Coach . 1 per match . In OT, Refs call if they choose . Refs do a great job at this level in State Series . Much respect to them . 

54 minutes ago, MattM said:

Breathers happen all the time in wrestling. You don’t need replay to get them accomplished. 

3 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Slightly off topic, but related (in my mind anyway)......    In the current situation, how often does a call get changed when a coach steps out to question an official?  10%?  20%?  Never?

When it’s one ref.  Hardly never.  When there is an assistant ref to check with.  Sometimes. 

Edited by MattM

5 minutes ago, backtothemat said:

Breathers happen all the time in wrestling. You don’t need replay to get them accomplished. 

Nope, but we have enough of them as is that some wrestlers try to get away with in a match.   We don’t need one more reason to try and get one.   I think I’ve seen more matches have been decided by some convienent lung breaks and short term injuries than overturned called.  

Edited by MattM

1 minute ago, MattM said:

When it’s one ref.  Hardly never.  When their is an assistant ref to check with.  Sometimes. 

I believe that’s where it falls to the 10-20 percent. There are assistant refs that will give their opinion but the head ref keeps it the same because and I quote “this is their mat” which I totally understand but everyone makes mistakes and can’t see everything. I think one video replay per team per state. Not  per match. Let’s see what it does.

The problem I have, and seen a lot this year. Take the Conley/Rodgers match, they were in a similar position for about 10 seconds, no change and 2 was awarded to Rodgers which ultimately won him the match. My question is, if they didn’t change position how wasn’t that neutral or 2 given when it happened. I think video replay would clear that up greatly

On 2/16/2019 at 9:32 AM, RaiderColfax said:

The problem I have, and seen a lot this year. Take the Conley/Rodgers match, they were in a similar position for about 10 seconds, no change and 2 was awarded to Rodgers which ultimately won him the match. My question is, if they didn’t change position how wasn’t that neutral or 2 given when it happened. I think video replay would clear that up greatly

The TD call in that Conlley/Rodgers match, which I feel was obviously incorrect, not cost Conley the match and a state placing, it cost Avon the team championship.  Take away all the team points that Rodgers accumulated and add points to Avon, you have a state championship in the home of the Orioles.

4 hours ago, HOF93 said:

The TD call in that Conlley/Rodgers match, which I feel was obviously incorrect, not cost Conley the match and a state placing, it cost Avon the team championship.  Take away all the team points that Rodgers accumulated and add points to Avon, you have a state championship in the home of the Orioles.

This I understand. Without we will not know the true outcome of the OT 

5 hours ago, HOF93 said:

If stalls were called correctly TD call wouldn’t even matter. Your point is invalid take 2nd place in stride.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:22 AM, SWINfan said:

Slightly off topic, but related (in my mind anyway)......    In the current situation, how often does a call get changed when a coach steps out to question an official?  10%?  20%?  Never?

Depends upon the coach...some coaches are at the table so much they might as well be running the clock. Others pick and choose their spots.

Of course if you have magical powers such as myself you can just stand up and the ref will change his call before I even leave the corner.

5 hours ago, HOF93 said:

There were literally thousands of calls throughout the weekend involving Avon and the other teams.  Many of them went for Avon and many of them against I’m sure.  And many of those that went Avon’s way may too have been thought of as incorrect by Avon’s opponents.  And those calls may very well have had just as big of an influence on the final tournament scoring as the one to which you refer.  To single out one single call as the one that decided the state championship is just a bit absurd.

Hey, I get it.  I get frustrated when I see calls that I think are “obviously incorrect”.  And sometimes I too speculate what might have been.

But there is a reason why we have disinterested (and trained in the rules) parties making calls in the matches, doing their best to make impartial and fair calls.  And why us not-so-impartial participants and fans are not allowed to make the calls.  

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:14 AM, TeamGarcia said:

Is there a debate ? 

HS Football soon to get it . 

HS Basketball has it ? 

When does HS Wrestling get it ? 

Every single match is video recorded anyways right. 

So many questionable calls every year. Who wants it ? Do we need it ? Benefits of it ? Pros & Cons ? 

“My Opinion” we need it . Use it only in State Series like they going to do in Football . Maybe a time limit . Everything else is timed anyways . 

This post has nothing to do what happen in the past, it’s over . What’s done is done . Move on . HS Wrestling needs to #Evolve . 

The Notorious 

The obvious con of having instant replay would be the cost and logistical problems of doing this.   To do this you this you would have to have an official videographer at the site, and this would include a official replay screen along with some type of uniform sanctioned software to replay the video.   Also,  you would have to have a trained replay official at the site.   Note the cost of this as just added two more people to the expense of hosting a meet along with hardware costs.  Note there would be additional training for referees, coaches and ADs.   You're looking at significant costs to running an event.   Note there is a shortage of referees and I think they're underpaid as it is.  So add another element requiring more referees and more support people.  Its not sustainable,  especially when you apply a rule, it has to be uniform.    Just imagine if you had to apply this to every HS event at every HS.   You could never get that done.  I suppose you could make it optional, where a few more affluent schools might be able to pull it off.  But I don't think that would be good to have an optional rule of when to apply this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.