Laplace vs Brewer Friday night

Penn04

12 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

Oh, FC.....since we can't compare results of a (top 3 nationally ranked) 160 to a 182 pounder, why are you able to then compare results of a FREESTYLE tech to a FOLKSTYLE state match? Be consistent, bro...So I guess if the logic in comparing 160 to 182 can be questioned, then Freestyle results to Folkstyle can certainly be questioned as well?  Would you concur with that thesis?

And I'm not hating on @Mattyb , he knows me, so I can debate him! I have no idea who will win, but again, I'd be surprised by a major decision.

I was just using everybody's wrestling math theory and you're right about styles being different..but having a 160 pounder who's smaller and not as strong is a different than a 182 pound D1 bound stud.. i'm not questioning the kids skills i'm just saying comparing a 160 to a 182 pounder is ridiculous. 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

1 minute ago, UncleJimmy said:

Again, what does a freestyle tech have to do with folkstyle match? See where we're going here?

exactly..I do see where its going and me stating that a 182 pounder vs a 160 pounders results is pointless just like you stated about wrestling results of different styles...

and for the ppl that wanna keep bringing up last year its comical..Yea brewer got upset Friday night but winning the way he has this year and over the comp at Brecksville should account for something... And I'm not the type to rub in ppl face if brewer does major him...its just mind boggling that ppl are grilling me over me saying they make weight classes for a reason and I promise you Brewer at 182 is a a way tougher match than a 160 p4p stud regardless of his accolades... This is about the now not the past.

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

I would say its a different type of tough, but the 160 lb p4p will be just as tough. The p4p guy is likely a little more technical, and potentially quicker so its tougher in that sense, were as the 182 pounder will have more power. Ill admit I havent really paid as much attention nationally as I used to, but I know for a fact in years past some of those p4p guys were that much better and could very well make up that size difference with technique against a lower weight class ranked guy.

Edited by NICfan

LaPlace is also not your typical 182 pounder.  He had a BIG growth change from 145 last year.  He wrestles more like a middle weight.  Also an interesting fact from last year's state, Jacob lost to Nathan Conley of Avon in the tiebreakers on Friday night 4-1.  Redemption???  Definitely gonna be a beauty to watch.

55 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

and for the ppl that wanna keep bringing up last year its comical..Yea brewer got upset Friday night but winning the way he has this year and over the comp at Brecksville should account for something... And I'm not the type to rub in ppl face if brewer does major him...its just mind boggling that ppl are grilling me over me saying they make weight classes for a reason and I promise you Brewer at 182 is a a way tougher match than a 160 p4p stud regardless of his accolades... This is about the now not the past.

I believe I was the first one in this thread to bring up the different weight classes and you ran with it.  And I agree with you 100%!.  

The match may not be a major, hell Brewer may not win.  But using a result at 160 a month before the HS season started as why LaPlace will not get majored is weak.  You're arguing unit of comparison and brought up one of your own that you know isn't apples to apples either.  Attacking your comparison does not make the original one correct.  

It should be a fun match to watch.  Many people don't think Brewer will major him.  Some do.  My question is, what if Brewer is dominant in a 5-1 win?  Who is right in that case?  Personally, I'd fall on the side of those that think he'll win by major. but that's just my opinion.

So an In state qualifier at 182 is assumed better than a world class 160 lber who already is a state champ, world medalist, and will go whatever weight to whatever D1 school he wants based on size alone? If That’s the only counter argument you have you haven’t watched Facundo wrestle. Laplace kept It closer with him than the senior going to Oklahoma state at Flo’s ‘Who’s Number One’. Only Silas Allred is a comparable athlete out of our wrestling pool, as he’ll be #1 in the country after the seniors leave the rankings. Good luck to Brewer I expect it to be a close match 

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

I believe I was the first one in this thread to bring up the different weight classes and you ran with it.  And I agree with you 100%!.  

The match may not be a major, hell Brewer may not win.  But using a result at 160 a month before the HS season started as why LaPlace will not get majored is weak.  You're arguing unit of comparison and brought up one of your own that you know isn't apples to apples either.  Attacking your comparison does not make the original one correct.  

It should be a fun match to watch.  Many people don't think Brewer will major him.  Some do.  My question is, what if Brewer is dominant in a 5-1 win?  Who is right in that case?  Personally, I'd fall on the side of those that think he'll win by major. but that's just my opinion.

What comparison of mine did I attack?  only thing that I said that was questionable is brewers win over Bates being in freestyle.. Regardless these are 2 great talents and I just think Brewer is on another level than most. 

11 minutes ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

What comparison of mine did I attack?  only thing that I said that was questionable is brewers win over Bates being in freestyle.. Regardless these are 2 great talents and I just think Brewer is on another level than most. 

I meant others attacked your freestyle example.  Doing so doesn't somehow validate their comparison of wrestling a 160 lb Facundo tough.  We're on the same page.

Some of these comments are comical! I know both wrestlers well. Carson and Jake are both great wrestlers, great kids and the sky is the limit for both. Instead of being on the sidelines or on here talking about how one is so much better...let’s just say they are both great and enjoy a great match!  Looking forward to seeing two of Indiana’s best go at it. Only sad point is it’s on a Friday night

1 hour ago, Jim calhoun said:

Some of these comments are comical! I know both wrestlers well. Carson and Jake are both great wrestlers, great kids and the sky is the limit for both. Instead of being on the sidelines or on here talking about how one is so much better...let’s just say they are both great and enjoy a great match!  Looking forward to seeing two of Indiana’s best go at it. Only sad point is it’s on a Friday night

Agree, it's just crazy this has to happen on a Friday night. The loser tonight could potentially tech fall a place winner tomorrow... It is what it is..  

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

I meant others attacked your freestyle example.  Doing so doesn't somehow validate their comparison of wrestling a 160 lb Facundo tough.  We're on the same page.

I see what you're saying now ...And I am no way trying to offend or question how good Laplace is.. the young man is phenomenal wrestler I just caught up in some of the comments..I appreciate everybody on here regardless If we see eye to eye about anything..I just love that the sport has a lot of dedicated supporters that really care about the sport and kids...We may have silly debates or whatever but in this instance regardless the outcome of the match its sad 1 wrestlers season ended from an injury but on the other hand a top notch Laplace that lost to another great wrestler is bk in the tournament.. good luck to all competitors tonight! 

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

1 minute ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I see what you're saying...And I a.m no way trying to offend or question how good Laplace is.. the young man is phenomenal wrestler I just caught up in some of the comments..I appreciate everybody on here regardless If we see eye to eye about anything..I just love that the sport has q lot of dedicated supporters that really care about the sport end kids...We may have silly debates or whatever but in this instance regardless the outcome of the match its sad 1 wrestlers season ended from an injury but on the same hand a top notch Laplace that lost to another great wrestler is bk in the tournament.. good luck to all competitors tonight! 

No one is trying to downgrade LaPlace.  It's just the inherent nature of message boards (and to a greater extent our society now) that if you argue against someone's point, you are automatically against that person.  The two can absolutely be mutually exclusive yet that is recognized by so few today.  And on message boards, when you try to defend your argument of the point, it really makes it seem you are against the person and not the point, and even at times, actually turns you against the person because of how they attack your argument and fail to recognize it in its merit.  It was like that with the Boonville before SS.  

People stated the Boonville wrestlers wouldn't win because they weren't experienced or tested enough.  Defenders asked what you have against Boonville.  The answer = nothing, I just don't think they'll win because of xxxx.......  The response = you don't know what you're talking about/they're good/your argument doesn't mean anything, etc....  It becomes two separate conversations masked as one.

Wait wait wait. 22 pounds is a huge difference in technique, and strength?!  Looks as if 22 pounds doesn’t affects Kyle Snyder or gable Stevenson. 

Anyone can be beat at any given match. And I feel a lot are over looking Laplace. He is a big 182 monster as well. And he too is hungry as well. Every kid is hungry, no matter who it is.

Dont try and compare a tech in freestyle to another getting beat in folk style. And then say there is a difference in weight. There is a difference in style also. 

I hope the best for both kids and I hope it’s the best match we have ever seen. 

17 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

I think the fact that you said he was on another level LAST year too ( I believe your exact words were it will take a Herculean effort to beat him and Elijah Hercules Mayan did it first round)and now again saying the same things This year that has people jumping  on you a little! It just proves how hard it is to win in Indiana at this level and how nothing is guaranteed no matter what national accolades you have . Brewer is very good I am glad he finally placed but like 99.99% of these kids he is not unbeatable .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.