Mendez vs. Watts

smitty11

Definitely the premier match of the tournament. I expect the score to be closer than the Al Smith match. Both are always on the attack, should be a lot of action. Mendez is probably the best freshman I have ever seen and I think this match is the determining factor between a one-loss 3x champ and undefeated 4xer. I’d like to say the senior vs. freshman aspect will be a factor, but it never seems like the moment is too big for Jesse.

Edited by Caleb Spires

12 minutes ago, gogoplata89 said:

This reminds me of the Cashe Quiroga v Jason Tsirtsis semi final back in 2009. Freshman phenom meets up with a state champ in the semis. I think we know how that turned out.  

In that case though, it was the veteran state champion who beat the freshman during the season.

But, man oh man, was that ever an exciting match to watch in the semi-finals that year!

2 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

Definitely the premier match of the tournament. I expect the score to be closer than the Al Smith match. Both are always on the attack, should be a lot of action. Mendez is probably the best freshman I have ever seen and I think this match is the determining factor between a one-loss 3x champ and undefeated 4xer. I’d like to say the senior vs. freshman aspect will be a factor, but it never seems like the moment is too big for Jesse.

Best Freshman vs. Senior match up since Lee vs. Micic in ‘14. That one will be hard to top going forward.  

1 hour ago, BClark said:

We maybe didn't realize it at the time but 2005 had a pretty good one too.

Championship

Reece Humphrey (48-0) Lawrence North (12) def. Andrew Howe (47-1) Hanover Central (9), dec. 5-1.

Was 1-0 and headlock came through. Phew both badass dudes there 

2 hours ago, backtothemat said:

Best Freshman vs. Senior match up since Lee vs. Micic in ‘14. That one will be hard to top going forward.  

Tons of hype all season long. I don’t remember any other senior vs frosh hype like that. 

Quiorga seemed to be a solid favorite that year.  Cashe ran through everyone.  Tsirtsis had a solid game plan in the semifinals that year.  Tsirtsis may have lost in a dual against the merriville wrestler on a late reversal? Then maj. dec him at semi-state

Micic took it to Lee if I recall.

Edited by smitty11

Watts showed great energy last weekend, Looks like a man on a mission!

Mendez dominated the whole field. No match lasting enough to get his blood pumping. 

The last time Mendez went all the way to the third was along time ago, and I could bet watts has not either until against Curtis.  Watts was the better wrestler against Curtis. 

This will be epic!  Mendez with his relentless attack and watts with Defense and length.  Could go either way!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.