Jump to content
Y2CJ41

Georgia State Finals

Recommended Posts

It seems many other states have issues with their state associations.

In Georgia they expanded the state tournament to FOUR days. On top of that the last day they do not get any extra weight. They have WAY too many classes with 7 classes along with a girl's division. For the first 3 classes there are 12 man brackets and the other 4 there are 16 man brackets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alabama's tournament is split into 3 "classes".  The first is all 1A - 5A schools.  Then separate tourneys for 6A & 7A.  The 1A - 5A bracket is 16 wrestlers.  The 6A bracket is 16 and the 7A bracket is 8 wrestlers. They also have a girls division.

They start Thursday at noon and go to 8pm.  Friday is 9:30am - 8pm.  Saturday 9am to 8pm.  They do have full wrestlebacks. 

They have 32 schools in 7A with enrollments from 1050 to 2200.  
They have 54 schools in 6A with enrollments from 1029 to 605.
They have tons of small schools, including 31 schools with enrollments of less than 100.

Tennessee has 3 "classes" plus a girls division.  AAA is the largest schools and has a 32 wrestler bracket.  A-AA is the smallest two classes of school and together they have 16 wrestler brackets.  DII is made up of private schools only, from what I can tell.  They go 3 days, going from 3 - 10pm Thursday, 10am - 8pm Friday and 10am - 7pm Saturday and have full wrestlebacks.

Alabama is having their tournament in Huntsville this year in an arena similar to Evansville's Ford Center.  Last year it was at the Birmingham Crossplex which is a nice facility that hosted the DII and DII Wrestling Championships in 2017.

Tennessee hosts their finals at the Williamson County Expo Center, outside of Nashville.  Doesn't look too impressive.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Population growth in Atlanta is unbelievable. I’ve read they are opening a new HS almost every 6 months  . Much like the Dallas/Ft. Worth area with that population boom,  I visited a HS there last year,  those HS are unbelievable. (7) football fields, 1 main stadium. (5) soccer fields, (4) baseball/Softball fields and this was 30-40 miles away from Dallas area .

Crazy the amount of State Placer Georgia has. Probably could add a day and have a Tournament of Champions with 7 State Champs . 

Edited by TeamGarcia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, piscis1956 said:

Correction: 8 state champions.

Would you add the girl with the guy classes in TOC ? 

Edited by TeamGarcia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm.., I’d say yes ? If they want to enter in a TOC.  Georgia has some great wrestlers in those classes that are National Ranked . They probably love a TOC to see who’s the best. I thought they had one here in Football few years back ? Idk  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

It seems many other states have issues with their state associations.

In Georgia they expanded the state tournament to FOUR days. On top of that the last day they do not get any extra weight. They have WAY too many classes with 7 classes along with a girl's division. For the first 3 classes there are 12 man brackets and the other 4 there are 16 man brackets.

Not sure how many has wrestling in Georgia HS, crazy stats and growing . 

187

 

DISTRICTS

 

450

 

HIGH SCHOOLS

 

29,970

 

FULL-TIME TEACHERS

 

529,553

 

STUDENTS ENROLLED 

 

Indiana 

337

 

DISTRICTS

 

406

 

HIGH SCHOOLS

 

19,284

 

FULL-TIME TEACHERS

 

348,920

 

STUDENTS ENROLLED 

Texas 

1,044

 

DISTRICTS

 

1,785

 

HIGH SCHOOLS

 

103,720

 

FULL-TIME TEACHERS

 

1,557,851

 

STUDENTS ENROLLED

Edited by TeamGarcia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Illinois made a change to full double elimination this year, and eliminated walkovers.  They also used to use the repechage system, but now all first round losers have a shot at 3rd in three different classes. Their first round, regionals, is still loaded with forfeits statewide.  You'd be lucky to get five-man brackets in most weight classes in a number of regionals.

 

Edited by busstogate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Not sure how many has wrestling in Georgia HS, crazy stats and growing . 

187

 

DISTRICTS

 

450

 

HIGH SCHOOLS

 

29,970

 

FULL-TIME TEACHERS

 

529,553

 

STUDENTS ENROLLED

There are NOT 30,000 high schools in Georgia. That would be literally almost 100X more than in Indiana for a state that isn't even double the state of Indiana in terms of population.

Based on their classifications there are 455 high schools in Georgia, some do not have wrestling obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Y2CJ41 said:

There are NOT 30,000 high schools in Georgia. That would be literally almost 100X more than in Indiana for a state that isn't even double the state of Indiana in terms of population.

Based on their classifications there are 455 high schools in Georgia, some do not have wrestling obviously.

Just coping & pasting Joe.... Top to bottom 

26973201-8413-4EDF-A24B-0DD12C8FC0AB.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

There are NOT 30,000 high schools in Georgia. That would be literally almost 100X more than in Indiana for a state that isn't even double the state of Indiana in terms of population.

Based on their classifications there are 455 high schools in Georgia, some do not have wrestling obviously.

The numbers come first in his post.  He’s saying 450 high schools.  The 29000+ value is the number of teachers.

Edited by piscis1956

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Alabama's tournament is split into 3 "classes".  The first is all 1A - 5A schools.  Then separate tourneys for 6A & 7A.  The 1A - 5A bracket is 16 wrestlers.  The 6A bracket is 16 and the 7A bracket is 8 wrestlers.

They have 32 schools in 7A with enrollments from 1050 to 2200.  
They have 54 schools in 6A with enrollments from 1029 to 605.
They have tons of small schools, including 31 schools with enrollments of less than 100.

 

So,

In 7A 1 in 4 wrestlers make the state finals

In 6A 1 in 3.375 wrestlers make the state finals

Why not just give everyone a participation metal?🙄

This is why being able to call yourself a State Champ in Indiana means something.

It appears to me it is probably often harder to win a title in the smaller school division since there are probably hundreds of schools in the tournament instead of 54 or 32.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you’ve wrestled or coached or personally been to state finals you would be disappointed anywhere else. Nothing like Indiana wrestling at state tournament in the country. Hope we never Do what basketball did. Indiana wrestling is turning into a national power!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are far more super duals and tournaments than I ever remember that have teams with fewer than 10 guys. We may be producing outstanding quality at the top, but the middle and bottom are eroding quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

54 minutes ago, Jim calhoun said:

Once you’ve wrestled or coached or personally been to state finals you would be disappointed anywhere else. Nothing like Indiana wrestling at state tournament in the country. Hope we never Do what basketball did. Indiana wrestling is turning into a national power!

 

38 minutes ago, Galagore said:

There are far more super duals and tournaments than I ever remember that have teams with fewer than 10 guys. We may be producing outstanding quality at the top, but the middle and bottom are eroding quickly.

IS IT TIME!???  Annual Class-Wrestling melee about to start??!!??  I look forward to this every year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.