Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
base

2019 IHSAA Finals - Team points race

Recommended Posts

Annual breakdown on team scoring. Teams score ONLY advancement points for Friday night matches (A TRAVESTY!) then count advancement AND activity bonus points (fall = 2, technical fall = 1.5, major decision = 1) from Saturday morning on.

Points awarded are for advancement (2.0 per round you move forward in championship, 1.0 in consolation) and placement points.  Since the advancement and placement points are locked in, here is how the placers will score - the variable then is the bonus activity points.

  • 1st = 22 points + bonus on 3 Saturday wins
  • 2nd = 18 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 3rd = 13 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 4th = 11 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win
  • 5th = 8 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 6th = 6 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win
  • 7th = 4 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win
  • 8th = 3 points (no bonus possible)
     

TEAMS IN CONTENTION (and # of wrestlers)

  1. Brownsburg (9)
  2. Mater Dei (9)
  3. Avon (7)
  4. Crown Point (6)
  5. Merrillville (6)
  6. Portage (6)
  7. Perry Meridian (6)
  8. Warren Central (5)
  9. Roncalli (5)
  10. Cathedral (5)
  11. Columbus East (5)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Key matchups:

  • 106 Carlton Perry (WC) vs Logan Miller (BROWN) in the 1st round. With only 5 wrestlers, Warren really needs these points.  Brownsburg has to have lots of people advance too. Perry defeated Miller 8-2 earlier this season
  • 106 Blaze Garcia (AVON) vs Suhas Chandi (Carmel) in 1st round. Rough matchup for the freshman - if he can win I consider those huge bonus points for Avon
  • 113 Jacob Moran (PORT) vs Cole Ross (EMD) in 1st round. Brutal draw for Mater Dei - if he wins then Portage is essentially done. If Moran wins as expected then that is a big loss for EMD
  • 113 Zeke Seltzer (CATH) vs KT Nelson (BROWN) in 2nd round. Nelson is hot, but can he control Seltzer?  I’m guessing no, which would put Nelson with a 5th place finish as best possible scenario
  • 120 Brayden Lowery (RONC) vs Tyler Conley (AVON) in 1st round. Likely that Avon loses one of their 7 here Lowery is too much
  • 120 Blake Boarman (EMD) vs Chris Stewart (WC) in 1st round. Winner gets Riley Bettich (CROWN) in the 2nd round.  What a group of 4!  I think Stewart has the chance to pull an upset here but advantage Boarman. Warren absolutely has to have Stewart get to the points rounds to have a shot. Boarman vs Bettich - WOW!  Loser can only place 5th at best WOW. Big points swing possible
  • 120 Kysen Montgomery (BROWN) vs Carson Eldred (Westfield) in 1st round. The two have split matches this year. Montgomery has his work cut out for him, but it’s a big swing match for Brownsburg
  • 126 Brock Peele (PORT) vs Brayden Curtis (YORK) in 1st round. Winner gets Lukasz Walendzak (CATH) in 2nd round.  Another stacked group of 4. Peele is great but can he knock off both of these? If Curtis wins, can Walendzak score on the solid senior?
  • 126 Kane Egli (EMD) vs Logan Wagner (Zionsville) in 1st round. Another tough first round for Mater Dei. Wagner is very experienced - but I think it’s close enough and Egli could provide the minor upset. Winner gets Hunter Watts in the 2nd round!
  • 126 Jesse Mendez (CROWN) vs Hunter Watts (Jimtown) in semifinals. There’s a huge difference in points (22 vs 13) between 1st and 3rd place. Can Mendez repeat his 5-2 win over Watts?
  • 132 Ricky Hegedus (PORT) vs Drake Campbell (BROWN) in 1st round.  Winner gets Alec Vidya (RONC) in 2nd round.  Yet another crazy quarter-bracket!  Could be a BIG points move if the winner of Hegedus/Campbell can beat Viduya. Viduya has to score big for Roncalli
  • 138 Jaden Reynolds (AVON) vs Dylan Goudy (Western) in 1st round. Goudy will be a tough matchup, but I’d consider these some critical bonus points if Reynolds can win it. 
  • 145 Jacob Burford (CROWN) vs Antwaun Graves (WC) in 1st round. Winner has a good chance to get to the final 4 so that would be big points for whoever comes out ahead here. 
  • 152 Tyler Conley (AVON) vs Elliott Rodgers (CATH) in 1st round. WOW this is a blockbuster in terms of points because either of these could go a long way in the bracket for some major points. I think Rodgers needs to finish top 2 to give Cathedral a shot at the title.
  • 152 Sam Fair (PERRY) vs Jake Schoenegge (CO EAST) in 1st round. WOW another great matchup! Pretty much a must-win for both teams cause these are high scorers, and without them neither team has the numbers to make it up
  • 160 Peyton Asbury (BROWN) vs everybody. Asbury has a pretty good draw. Can he make it through to the semifinals where he would likely see Slivka (CATH)? A 3rd/4th place finish for Asbury would be nice points
  • 170 Eli Mahan (RONC) vs Thierry Jean-Baptiste (BROWN) in 1st round. Mahan is electric - can Brownsburg draft a strategy to slow him down and steal a win here? I don’t see it happening
  • 170 Nick South (COL EAST) vs Joe Walker (Mishawaka) in 2nd round. South won a 2-1 decision at the Al Smith. Columbus East will need him to win it all to keep in the team race. If he defeated Walker, South could see Mahan in the semifinals
  • 182 Carson Brewer (AVON) is the only one at the weight on one of the teams listed. Should be big points for Avon here
  • 195 Austin Lane (PERRY) and Ethan Potosky (CROWN) both are up against higher ranked opponents in 1st round.  Tough for either to advance
  • 220 Lawson Aiken (BROWN) will have a rough 2nd round match against the winner of Kyle Cornwell (Elwood) vs Joey Kidwell (W Lafayette). Aiken knocked off the #1 wrestler at semistate, can he keep the hot hand?
  • 220 Jacob Bolte (COL EAST) vs Drew Webster (N Montgomery) in 2nd round. Webster is a dangerous opponent for Bolte. Columbus East needs every single point it can get
  • 285 Dorian Keys (BROWN) vs Yehezquel DeVault (Penn) in 2nd round. Heavyweight is always so unpredictable, but if Keys can get some big points here for Brownsburg it would be a huge boost for them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My picks:

1. Cathedral - they only bring 5 this year, but they are all high potential scorers. Mosconi (145) and Slivka (160) have relatively good paths to the finals. Seltzer 2nd round match will be a good one but otherwise I think he makes the finals. Rodgers (152) and Walendzak (126) are the keys - especially Rodgers

2. Mater Dei - Matt Lee (145) and Eli Dickens (152) have good paths to the finals although Cooper Noehre could be a roadblock for Dickens. Parkinson (170) could make top 4. Freeman (106) is on the wrong side of the bracket - he should make top 4 but then hits Cottey in semis. Boarman (120) vs Bettich in quarterfinals is winnable - that’s a big one. Any other points would be considered bonus points, with some bad 1st rd matchups

3. Avon - Garcia and Brewer are prohibitive favorites to win it all. I also like the draw for Rioux at 126 in his quarter bracket but further points would be a challenge. Both Conleys have very tough draws in first round. The key for Avon will be the young Garcia (106) and Reynolds (138) they need some additional points at both

4. Brownsburg - Lots of wrestlers, lots of talent - but I don’t see them at the very top end.  However, these guys are battle tested and know how to manage a match to keep it within winning range late in the 3rd. They have a LOT of swing matches listed above - I think they are capable of winning any of them but they will need to win MOST of them to get guys into the 3rd/4th place range instead of the 5th-8th or put out in first round

5. Columbus East - Like Cathedral, not many guys but they are top shelf. Rooks and South are favorites - although South has a tough path. Bolte (220) could make it to the finals if he gets hot. Schoenegge has tons of talent but to reach finals would have to likely go through Sam Fair, Brock Ellis *and* Elliott Rodgers - that’s tough!

6. Portage - Moran and Donnell Washington are both guys I expect to see in the finals, and I think they both will win it. Brock Peele is great but draws Brayden Curtis in the 1st round. Hegedus gets Drake Campbell. 

7. Roncalli - Only 5 guys, but they have some big potential. Could be among top few if they have a great weekend. Brayden Lowery could win it all at 120, but will have the other Brayden in semis. Alec Viduya (132) could also win it all but Garcia is the favorite and Alec will have to get through 2 other monsters to get to him. Freije actually has a great bracket draw - he should breeze to the final 4 and a good shot to get to the finals. Eli Mahan should get top 4 but would have to beat South or Walker to make the finals.  Heavyweight John Harris may be their key

Others - Crown Point, Merrillville, Perry Meridian, Warren.  All these are solid squads, but other than Mendez for Crown Point, I just don’t see enough of their people going for a top place or getting past all of their early round matchups.  They can be the spoilers in many cases for the teams listed higher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great write up, Base. I didn’t realize there was such a point difference between 1st, 2nd and then 3rd-8th. No clear favorite this year. Going to be fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, base said:

My picks:

1. Cathedral - they only bring 5 this year, but they are all high potential scorers. Mosconi (145) and Slivka (160) have relatively good paths to the finals. Seltzer 2nd round match will be a good one but otherwise I think he makes the finals. Rodgers (152) and Walendzak (126) are the keys - especially Rodgers

2. Mater Dei - Matt Lee (145) and Eli Dickens (152) have good paths to the finals although Cooper Noehre could be a roadblock for Dickens. Parkinson (170) could make top 4. Freeman (106) is on the wrong side of the bracket - he should make top 4 but then hits Cottey in semis. Boarman (120) vs Bettich in quarterfinals is winnable - that’s a big one. Any other points would be considered bonus points, with some bad 1st rd matchups

3. Avon - Garcia and Brewer are prohibitive favorites to win it all. I also like the draw for Rioux at 126 in his quarter bracket but further points would be a challenge. Both Conleys have very tough draws in first round. The key for Avon will be the young Garcia (106) and Reynolds (138) they need some additional points at both

4. Brownsburg - Lots of wrestlers, lots of talent - but I don’t see them at the very top end.  However, these guys are battle tested and know how to manage a match to keep it within winning range late in the 3rd. They have a LOT of swing matches listed above - I think they are capable of winning any of them but they will need to win MOST of them to get guys into the 3rd/4th place range instead of the 5th-8th or put out in first round

5. Columbus East - Like Cathedral, not many guys but they are top shelf. Rooks and South are favorites - although South has a tough path. Bolte (220) could make it to the finals if he gets hot. Schoenegge has tons of talent but to reach finals would have to likely go through Sam Fair, Brock Ellis *and* Elliott Rodgers - that’s tough!

6. Portage - Moran and Donnell Washington are both guys I expect to see in the finals, and I think they both will win it. Brock Peele is great but draws Brayden Curtis in the 1st round. Hegedus gets Drake Campbell. 

7. Roncalli - Only 5 guys, but they have some big potential. Could be among top few if they have a great weekend. Brayden Lowery could win it all at 120, but will have the other Brayden in semis. Alec Viduya (132) could also win it all but Garcia is the favorite and Alec will have to get through 2 other monsters to get to him. Freije actually has a great bracket draw - he should breeze to the final 4 and a good shot to get to the finals. Eli Mahan should get top 4 but would have to beat South or Walker to make the finals.  Heavyweight John Harris may be their key

Others - Crown Point, Merrillville, Perry Meridian, Warren.  All these are solid squads, but other than Mendez for Crown Point, I just don’t see enough of their people going for a top place or getting past all of their early round matchups.  They can be the spoilers in many cases for the teams listed higher

I see 5 of our 6 but cant count anyone out on those Friday night matches :) LOVE Friday night death matches 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cosgrove said:

I see 5 of our 6 but cant count anyone out on those Friday night matches :) LOVE Friday night death matches 

Here's how I see Crown Point (in my opinion - and I know anything can happen)

  • 106 Roberson - best case scenario 5th. I don't see him beating Cottey
  • 120 Bettich - 2nd round matchup with Boarman. Winnable, but very tough. I'll give him benefit and take him all the way to 2nd place
  • 126 Mendez - 1st place very possible
  • 145 Burford - I don't see him getting past Graves but if he does then likely 3rd/4th at best
  • 152 Hollendonner - difficult Friday night match. I have him at 0
  • 195 Potosky - Allred in 2nd round if he gets there. Max of 5th place

So with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and two 5ths that's 69 team points plus bonus. I don't think that will be enough to get it done but that would be a great weekend for your team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, base said:

Here's how I see Crown Point (in my opinion - and I know anything can happen)

  • 106 Roberson - best case scenario 5th. I don't see him beating Cottey
  • 120 Bettich - 2nd round matchup with Boarman. Winnable, but very tough. I'll give him benefit and take him all the way to 2nd place
  • 126 Mendez - 1st place very possible
  • 145 Burford - I don't see him getting past Graves but if he does then likely 3rd/4th at best
  • 152 Hollendonner - difficult Friday night match. I have him at 0
  • 195 Potosky - Allred in 2nd round if he gets there. Max of 5th place

So with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and two 5ths that's 69 team points plus bonus. I don't think that will be enough to get it done but that would be a great weekend for your team

Yeah we wont win this team race this year but... it is coming. The Dogs and The Region will be bringing this back in another year or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Cosgrove said:

Yeah we wont win this team race this year but... it is coming. The Dogs and The Region will be bringing this back in another year or two. 

Hey!!!... that’s @TeamGarcia s shtick. Don’t be stealing my guys thunder like that. 

#YoungDogs

#TheCrown

Edited by Mattyb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trackwrestling is only giving 1 Team Point to winners so far. I thought tonight's winners all got 1 pt for 8th + 2 Advancement Points. Did they double down & screw up the team scoring even more by removing Friday night Adv Pts too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they announce Team Scores at end of session? If so, did they count the 2-point Advancement or is Trackwrestling correct?

image.png.bbd90b76911d807da818e03e78cb01fe.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Did they announce Team Scores at end of session? If so, did they count the 2-point Advancement or is Trackwrestling correct?

image.png.bbd90b76911d807da818e03e78cb01fe.png

Looks like a race between the Parochial schools and the One Hit Wonders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Did they announce Team Scores at end of session? If so, did they count the 2-point Advancement or is Trackwrestling correct?

image.png.bbd90b76911d807da818e03e78cb01fe.png

One point advancement w no bonus points on Friday night. BBurg looking strong. Overachievers this year by a mile. Wide open. BBurg, EMD, Irish, CE. Harris losing hurts the Rebels big time. 4 horse race in my 3rd shift logic opinion. Let’s have a great Saturday. Revel or Patron Saint if you’re bored downtown this eve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

One point advancement w no bonus points on Friday night. BBurg looking strong. Overachievers this year by a mile. Wide open. BBurg, EMD, Irish, CE. Harris losing hurts the Rebels big time. 4 horse race in my 3rd shift logic opinion. Let’s have a great Saturday. Revel or Patron Saint if you’re bored downtown this eve. 

Did they really change the Team Scoring AGAIN?

Last year, each Friday night winner got 2 Advancement Points + 1 Point for clinching 8th place. That's how Base summarized the scoring at the start of this thread. 

If this is true, why is the IHSAA continually making Team Scoring as silly as possible & WHY WOULD THE COACHES GIVE THEIR APPROVAL TO ANY OF THIS???

There are no Forfeits & no weak wrestlers at the State Finals. All Advancement Points & Bonus Points are hard earned in all 4 rounds & should count. Why don't the Coaches demand full Team Scoring at the State level?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team Wrestlers Current Points Max Points Max w/o Bonus
Brownsburg 7 7 182 140
Indianapolis Cathedral 5 5 130 100
Evansville Mater Dei 5 5 130 100
Avon 4 4 104 80
Roncalli 4 4 104 80
Columbus East 4 4 104 80
Crown Point 3 3 78 60
Perry Meridian 3 3 78 60

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

 

Team Wrestlers Current Points Max Points Max w/o Bonus
Brownsburg 7 7 182 140
Indianapolis Cathedral 5 5 130 100
Evansville Mater Dei 5 5 130 100
Avon 4 4 104 80
Roncalli 4 4 104 80
Columbus East 4 4 104 80
Crown Point 3 3 78 60
Perry Meridian 3 3 78 60

Deep. The Pub with Center Grove, Brownsburg, Wabash Apaches, Lawrenceburg, and 2Xer Brandon Ingalls from the Wildcats of Lawrence North High School (btw, no qualifiers for the first time in 22 years)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 11:19 PM, base said:

Annual breakdown on team scoring. Teams score ONLY advancement points for Friday night matches (A TRAVESTY!) then count advancement AND activity bonus points (fall = 2, technical fall = 1.5, major decision = 1) from Saturday morning on.

Points awarded are for advancement (2.0 per round you move forward in championship, 1.0 in consolation) and placement points.  Since the advancement and placement points are locked in, here is how the placers will score - the variable then is the bonus activity points.

  • 1st = 22 points + bonus on 3 Saturday wins
  • 2nd = 18 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 3rd = 13 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 4th = 11 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win
  • 5th = 8 points + bonus on 2 Saturday wins
  • 6th = 6 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win
  • 7th = 4 points + bonus on 1 Saturday win
  • 8th = 3 points (no bonus possible)
     

 

Help me understand this using Cathedral as an example.  As of right now, Zeke Seltzer is showing 16 points earned.  His guaranteed place is 2nd.  For this example, let's say he finishes 2nd.  In that case, is he done scoring at 16?  It lists advancement points as 4.  Are those for the two wins today?  Are there no points awarded for Friday night? 

Lukasz Walendzak has 1 point, for a guaranteed 8th place.  It shows no advancement points.  So if he loses is he done at 1 point?  If he wins does he get two more and end at 3 for finishing 7th?  

The points don't seem to be matching the scale above.  Is there something I am missing?

Just trying to understand what points have been awarded and what's left to earn.  Only using Cathedral as an example because they are on top according to TW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who takes the team title? Will Cathedral hang on to their lead?

 

Indianapolis Cathedral  70.0
2 Avon  58.0
3 Brownsburg  57.0
4 Evansville Mater Dei  54.0
5 Roncalli  49.0
6 Columbus East  46.0
7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.