Regional Format

At our Regional we use 3 Mats Round 1, then they take a mat away and run semi finals and finals on two mats. I am curious how many other Regionals use only 2 mats in the 2nd round of the tournament? I understand the final round on 2 Mats but it seems to add a lot of extra time but not sure if this is how it is done everywhere. 

Evansville North goes 3 mats for first round, then down to 2 mats for Semi-Finals, and 3rd/4th place-Championship matches.

When it was at Castle, they would run 3 mats for the first round, semi-finals, and 3rd/4th place matches. Then down to one mat for the finals.

At Jay County we used 3 mats for the first two rounds.  Then we went to 2 mats and ran the finals and 3/4 at the same time.

Jay County did wait until the end of all wrestling before they passed out any awards.  I thought this was a little odd, but it did keep people in the stands.

The history of the Carroll regional format is long and storied.

Back in the day before the build the Fieldhouse(2011) they would run two mats all day long. They even would run one for the finals at least a couple times.

After the illustrious Fieldhouse was build they ran four mats for the first two rounds and then down to two for the finals.

However, a few years ago we went down to three mats for the first two rounds and then two for the finals.

6 hours ago, raider140 said:

Bloomington South uses 4 mats for the quarters and semis.  Then does consoles on 2 mats and finals on 1.

The day goes fast but 4 mats makes for a pretty hectic 1st 2 rounds. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.