Semi-State Poll Question - Mat Assignment Preference

janders2

Semi-State Poll Question - Mat Assignment Preference   

117 members have voted

1. 1. Mat Assignment Preference

• Mats Assigned on the bracket
    • First Available Mat assigned by Trackwrestling

This poll is closed to new votes

Mixed feelings on this - assigned mat is easier for wrestlers to prepare and easier to follow for fans

First available gets the tournament through the day as quickly as possible.  A pet peeve is having 2 open mats while the heavyweight matches are stacked 3 deep on the other mats.  If you can switch from assigned to first available at the end of the round, then that would be optimal

Since you are looking for feedback - one ask is that the scoreboards for each mat display the weight class of the wrestlers on the mat. From there, I can usually figure out the match on my program by the singlets. Hate it when I don't know what weight class I'm watching

1 hour ago, base said:

Mixed feelings on this - assigned mat is easier for wrestlers to prepare and easier to follow for fans

First available gets the tournament through the day as quickly as possible.  A pet peeve is having 2 open mats while the heavyweight matches are stacked 3 deep on the other mats.  If you can switch from assigned to first available at the end of the round, then that would be optimal

Since you are looking for feedback - one ask is that the scoreboards for each mat display the weight class of the wrestlers on the mat. From there, I can usually figure out the match on my program by the singlets. Hate it when I don't know what weight class I'm watching

I'm going off memory which can be shaky at times, but I swear at EV SS last year the scoreboard had either the weight class or the match number, either which would get you there.

I have mixed feelings as well.  I like the mat assignments assigned but it is hard if you are trying to write winners in your scorecard when 4 mats are going and you have one mat still at 138, another at 152, another at 160 and the last has jumped all the way to 182.  I feel like nearing the end, assignments were moved around to keep mats from being empty, but not until 220/285.

Edited by SWINfan

I am almost certain 1st Available by TW was used at the Sect & Reg sites I went to. It was confusing for fans & some wrestlers too. At Perry last week, they had to switch out computers almost constantly during the 1st round as each of the mats experienced scoreboard/computer issues at some point. Because of these problems, the scoreboards sometimes showed the weight class, sometimes showed the match number & sometimes showed nothing at all. 

In my opinion, the regional / semistate / state sites with 4 mats should assign mats based on the bracket. Then if 1 mat finishes early while the others are 2 or 3 behind, then you move a few of the big boys' matches to that mat. It's probably easier for the wrestlers to know which mat they will be on & just focus on where they're at. Plus, parents can be prepared & don't have to scamper all over the gym to get a good view & take pics.

Edited by slice60

Thank you all so much for voting and giving feedback. I will leave this poll up for another day to get some more votes in. Personally,  I think it is more advantageous in a regular gym for a regular tournament to just do First Available.  When you get to the higher ranking tournaments like SS and the facilities are a little harder to navigate around with so many fans, it probably is better to assign mats based on the brackets. 

9 minutes ago, janders2 said:

Thank you all so much for voting and giving feedback. I will leave this poll up for another day to get some more votes in. Personally,  I think it is more advantageous in a regular gym for a regular tournament to just do First Available.  When you get to the higher ranking tournaments like SS and the facilities are a little harder to navigate around with so many fans, it probably is better to assign mats based on the brackets. 

The problem with using trackwrestling mobile and keeping track of changing mat assignments up to the minute, which EVERYONE should be for, is that facilities do not have WiFi and have terrible cell phone reception.

On that note, I must give props to the Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corp.  Their guest wifi at Evv North was AWESOME and helped greatly keeping track of not only that regional but taking a peak at some of the others and being able to maneuver quickly through TW Mobile.

I did like the hybrid system they used at state last year where it was first available but the top half bracket was assigned to mats 1 and 2, and bottom half to 3 and 4. That makes it easier for parents, but also coaches. Assigning each quarter bracket to a mat makes coaching a little harder because you have to worry about a fast or slow mat causing your 126 and 138's to be up at the same time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.