UPSET ALERT

1prouddad

Going into SS, who are some wrestlers that may play spoiler. While both of the guys I’ve got have good records, there are some that claim it’s due to their week schedule(excuse). At EVV SS

106- Chris Newman(MV). Kid is solid and fun to watch

120- Sam Scott(HH). I’ve called his name before. Exciting to watch and gave Boarman all he wanted today. 

3 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

Going into SS, who are some wrestlers that may play spoiler. While both of the guys I’ve got have good records, there are some that claim it’s due to their week schedule(excuse). At EVV SS

106- Chris Newman(MV). Kid is solid and fun to watch

120- Sam Scott(HH). I’ve called his name before. Exciting to watch and gave Boarman all he wanted today. 

I think the schedule comments regarding Sam Scott are fair.  And that's not a knock on him.  He's a good wrestler.  But is he as battle tested as some of these other guys fighting for the podium?  His freshman year he was 38-3 heading into SS and lost to Owen Sego in the first round.  Last year, as a sophomore he entered the SS 32-5 finishing 2nd at Regional with an 8-7 loss to Cole Ross.  He won his first SS match and then lost in the ticket round to Kysen Montgomery.  

There's no doubt he's good.  The question is, how good?  Can he get over the hump to the next level?  Is the jump to 120 a bit much considering the other competition?  It's hard to get a read because there isn't much info available about off season tournaments and no real signature wins are evident.   Your designation of spoiler could very well be spot on.  He won't be an easy out for anyone as was shown today.  Boarman took him down 3 straight times and Scott didn't quit.  I can't say how much the effect of Boarman tweaking his knee had on the rest of the match, but the fact is Scott battled and had no quit.

He's one I'm looking forward to seeing next weekend.

Personally, I think the 120 weight is more fitting for him. How much of maintaining the lower weights in years past held him back is the question?  He was battle tested last week and completely controlled the whole match in a 7-2 victory over Casebolt( 2017 qualifier and 6th in 2018). Then to come out today and wrestle the way he did against a wrestler as accomplished as Boarman, I’d say he’s ready. HOWEVER, anything can happen in an instant and he gets the pink slip. 

2 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Personally, I think the 120 weight is more fitting for him. How much of maintaining the lower weights in years past held him back is the question?  He was battle tested last week and completely controlled the whole match in a 7-2 victory over Casebolt( 2017 qualifier and 6th in 2018). Then to come out today and wrestle the way he did against a wrestler as accomplished as Boarman, I’d say he’s ready. HOWEVER, anything can happen in an instant and he gets the pink slip. 

Let's hope he doesn't see Littell in the ticket round.  Could be a tough spot for either him or Casebolt depending on how the draw plays out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.