2019 MS Heartland Duals Gold and Blue Teams

JMILL

After MS state we have quickly finalized the teams with firm commitments from all of the below kids to finalize the rosters.

It should be noted that this is the quickest we have gotten all commitments locked down and to my recollection the most 1st and 2nd place finishers to make up the teams.  I have to admit I was skeptical about the early weigh ins affecting this and it appears it had no affect on getting the best kids to participate in the Team IN teams for Heartland Duals so to Center Grove people I say thank you for all you have done to make this years MS state a success.

With that being said here are the MS teams:

GOLD                                                        BLUE

75    Tye Linser                                                 Isaac Ash

80    Seth Syra                                                  Jairo Acuna

85    Preston Haines                                         Evan Seng

90    Coy Hammack                                          Bryce Denton

95    Blake Wolf                                                Gavin Whitehead

102  Cheaney Schoeff                                      Hayden Brady

110  Sergio Lemley                                          Cole Solomey

117  Lane Gilbert                                              Jeb Prechtel

125  Hunter May                                               AJ Cashman

132  Kaden Lone                                              Reed Brandenburg

140  Drew Mills                                                 Makai Smith

150  John Purdy                                               Cody Goodwin

160  AJ Steenbeke                                           Cael Albaugh

175  Seth Willems                                             Van Skinner

195  Leighton Jones                                         Royce Deckard

220  Greg Johnson                                           Sam Mossoney

275  Richie Pena                                              Edgar Decker

Coaches:

Sean Schmaltz                                                  Tyson Skinner

Trent Worden                                                    Wyatt Seng

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:48 AM, navy80 said:

Great lineup! When and where is this tournament and what states will have teams?

Council Bluffs Iowa and last year there were 38 teams from approx. 30 different states from all over the country.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry I have been and am still in training this week at work and can not post the rosters yet due to lack of time (I do all of my IN Mat stuff at work....LOL).  Also am still trying to fill a few spots so stay tuned in next wk or so. 

Now with that said those that have already made the teams (MS and elem) we will be holding a team practice for anyone who can attend at Contenders WA march 31st  at the following times:

elem 10-1p

MS    1-4p

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:19 PM, JMILL said:

After a few MS roster changes below is the confirmed and paid for spots of kids that are going on trip..

MS team:

GOLD                                                        BLUE

75    Tye Linser                                                 Luke Rioux

80    Seth Syra                                                  Jairo Acuna

85    Preston Haines                                         Evan Seng

90    Toby Billerman                                          David Marcum

95    Brady Ison                                                Gavyn Whitehead

102  Cheaney Schoeff                                      Hayden Brady

110  Sergio Lemley                                          Cole Solomey

117  Jeb Prechtel                                             Aiden Torres

125  Hunter May                                               AJ Cashman

132  Kaden Lone                                              Reed Brandenburg

140  Drew Mills                                                 Makai Smith

150  Cody Goodwin                                          Orlando Cruz

160  AJ Steenbeke                                           Cael Albaugh

175  Seth Willems                                             Van Skinner

195  Leighton Jones                                         Royce Deckard

220  Peyton Kendall                                         Sam Mossoney

275  Richie Pena                                              Riley Anderson

Coaches:

Sean Schmaltz                                                  Tyson Skinner

Trent Worden                                                    Wyatt Seng

Elementary Team

GOLD                                                              BLUE

50     Jaxson Harris                                                 Sam Rioux

55     Lane Williams                                                Deacon Gibbs

60    Peyton Schoettle                                            Charlie Hutchison

65    Case Bell                                                        Case Bridge

70    Nate Rioux                                                     Eddie Goss

75    Tommy Gibbs                                                Isaac Ash

80    Easton Doster                                                Quienton Schoeff

85    Jake Hockaday                                              Griffin VanTichelt

90    Wyatt Davis                                                   Andrew Mercer

95    Malachi Terrell                                               Clinton Shepard

100 Anthony Rinehart                                            tbd

105 Gabriel Rose                                                   tbd

112 Gavin Davis                                                     tbd

120 Zane Skinner                                                  Jaden Osborn

130 Bryson Mota                                                   tbd

140 Dylan Feree                                                   Tyson Ingle

160 tbd                                                                  tbd

COACHES:

Ryan Parrish                                                       Matt Clark

Dustin Bentz                                                       Travis Hutchison

As you can see we have openings at the spots listed as "tbd" so if any wrestler, parent or coach knows of a kid that could and wants to fill the spots please contact me at Jason Miller 219-730-9489 via text or call.

Team IN trip is to Council Bluffs Iowa April 12-14th and costs $250.  This includes singlet, t-shirt, 1/4 zip long sleeve, fight shorts and gear bag.  You will need to provide transportation and book a hotel out of the block of rooms we have secured at the team Hotel.  

All information is listed on the ISWA home page under the tab Team IN and drop down to Heartland Duals.

Please call or text with any questions either myself or Ryan Parrish 317-213-8598

Edited by JMILL

update to Elem teams

Elementary Team

GOLD                                                              BLUE

50     Jaxson Harris                                                 Sam Rioux

55     Lane Williams                                                Deacon Gibbs

60    Peyton Schoettle                                            Charlie Hutchison

65    Case Bell                                                        Case Bridge

70    Nate Rioux                                                     Eddie Goss

75    Tommy Gibbs                                                Isaac Ash

80    Easton Doster                                                Quienton Schoeff

85    Jake Hockaday                                              Griffin VanTichelt

90    Wyatt Davis                                                   Andrew Mercer

95    Malachi Terrell                                               Clinton Shepard

100 Anthony Rinehart                                            Joseph mcCurdy

105 Gabriel Rose                                                   Nicholas Amodeo

112 Gavin Davis                                                    tbd

120 Zane Skinner                                                  Jaden Osborn

130 Bryson Mota                                                   tbd

140 Dylan Feree                                                    Tyson Ingle

160 tbd                                                                   tbd

COACHES:

Ryan Parrish                                                       Matt Clark

Dustin Bentz                                                       Travis Hutchison

****************************************************************************************************************

We still need a blue team 112, 130, 160 and a gold team 160

so if anyone knows anyone or wants to fill the spot please reach out or have your coach reach out to me asap !!!!

****************************************************************************************************************

• 4 weeks later...

Great teams! I’m currently in a remote location in the Grand Canyon on an Indian reservation trying to find my spirit animal (true story) since @JMILL blacklisted me. Going have to climb a cliff or two to get service to stay updated. Kick butt boys!!! Bring home that elusive title! 

Edited by Mattyb

Day 1 in the books.  Indiana Gold finishes day 4-1, Indiana Blue 2-2.  Still Have 4 individuals undefeated

Gold
110lbs-Sergio Lemley
150lbs-Cody Godwin
220lbs-Leighton Jones
Blue
175lbs-Van Skinner

Gold Individual Results

Blue Individual Results

Final results and rosters.  Great trip, but we as a state have some work to do on being united for an effort to put our best team forward to compete with the MN, NE & Missouri teams.  Look for some potential changes coming in future for this process to ensure we put our best teams out there.  Great effort for those kids that made the trip to the 2019 Heartland Duals (elementary and MS).   **Girls director and team leader Jason Delois will post the girls results and that team finished the highest of any IN team making the trip !!!!

Elementary Team

GOLD                                               BLUE

50     Jaxson Harris   2-4                         Sam Rioux  0-6

55     Lane Williams  3-4                          Deacon Gibbs  2-5                         alt: Max Cantu 1-7

60    Peyton Schoettle  4-2                      Charlie Hutchison  3-4                    alt: Zavier Acuna  4-4

65    Case Bell  5-2                                  Case Bridge  6-1                            alt: Gavin Ash 4-4

70    Nate Rioux  5-2                                Eddie Goss  4-4                             alt: Sean Harris  0-6

75    Tommy Gibbs  3-3                           Isaac Ash  4-3

80    Easton Doster  7-0  AA & MPV        Quienton Schoeff   3-4

85    Jake Hockaday  6-0 AA                   Jairo Acuna  6  6-1   MVP

90    Wyatt Davis  4  5-1                          Clinton Shepherd 3-3

95    Malachi Terrell  1-5                          FF

100  Anthony Rinehart  6-0  AA & MVP   Jackson mcCurdy  1-7

105  Gabriel Rose  5-1                             Nicholas Amodeo  2-5

112  Gavin Davis  5-1                               graham blythe  1-5

120  Zane Skinner  0-5                             allistair mohmed  0-8

130  Bryson Mata  2-3                              jayden Osborn  1-5

140  Dylan Ferree  3-2                             Tyson Ingle  2-4

160  zachary clark  1-4                             FF

COACHES:  Ryan Parrish                                      Matt Clark

Dustin Bentz                                      Travis Hutchison

MS team:

GOLD                                             BLUE

75    Tye Linser 5-3                                 Luke Rioux 7  5-2

80    Seth Syra 7-1                                  Damien Resendez  4-3

85    Preston Haines  5-3                        Evan Seng 4-3

90    Toby Billerman  1-7                         David Marcum  1-6

95    Gavyn Whitehead 4-4                     Keaton Morton  2-5

102  Cheaney Schoeff  7-1                     Hayden Brady  2-5

110  Sergio Lemley 8-0 AA                     Cole Solomey  6-1

117  Jeb Prechtel  6-2                             Aiden Torres  6-1

125  Hunter May  6-2                              AJ Cashman  2-5

132  Kaden Lone  4-4                             Reed Brandenburg  0-7

140  Drew Mills   5-3                               Makai Smith 1-6

150  Cody Goodwin  8-0 AA & MVP       Orlando Cruz 5-1

160  AJ Steenbeke  7-1                          Cael Albaugh 3-4

175  Seth Willems 7-1                            Van Skinner  7-0  AA & MVP

195  Leighton Jones  5-0  AA                 Ronin Hammond  5-2

220  Peyton Kendall 4-2                         Sam Mossoney   4-3

275  Richie Pena  5-2                             Riley Anderson   5-2

Coaches: Sean Schmaltz                                  Tyson Skinner

Trent Worden                                     Wyatt Seng

**Records do not reflect FF’s as Flo does not count those on line for results

**AA means All American award was given by tournament

**MVP means the most valuable wrestler of team award was given by tournament

Well in order to compete at a National level ISWA/Indiana has to make changes...more than a few.

Year after year you have kids like Goin, Purdy, Cruz, Goodwin, Jones, Schoeff, Rioux, Harden, Gilbert, Carrol. Steenbeke...I can go on for days!!

These are the top tier kids in the state & country (I know I missed quite a few), they’ll wrestle on the Scorpions, Buxton, Minion, Team USA, Texas Dynamite etc

Here’s the thing Indiana can be a top 5 team at these National Duals year after year if they would take the top kids from each weight class and compete. 

All the while keeping in mind that this isn’t all about money and $250 team fees, with 4 holes in the lineup that are sure to be Pink bracket bound.

Understand it’s about wrestling and growing our sport, NOT money!!

There should be a 4 Regionals for MS State and it should be seeded correctly, there should be a qualifier for ISWA State (used to be top 4 on a weekend tournament),  the whole 2 weekend tournaments to be qualified for Freestyle state is fine, BUT what about the young men who go on International trips, UWW events, FloNats, all these should count towards the “2” tournaments for Freestyle State.

I understand that ISWA/Indiana is not receiving the big $35 entry fee, but I also understand that if these young men/women go to the above events that they will see the top competition in the country & see where the bar is at.

The end result is a better, well rounded wrestler that can compete at a National level plain and simple.

Take Fargo for instance, $995 for both styles??? Is that what is best for Indiana???

By the time parents pay the “fees” and then fly out to ND, food, hotel, loss of a weeks pay...this is a $3-4K week of wrestling.

Organize, Inform, go to the best Duals in the country, compete, see where the bar is at...repeat!!

At the end of the day it is about putting together the best team possible, & turning out quality Nationally ranked wrestlers that represent the state of Indiana, NOT MONEY!

Someone needs to grab a hold of the giant pool of talent in this state and put together a Gold bracket National team that can compete, and forget about dollar signs!!! JMO

There is a lot of National talent in the state of Indiana.  It has been frustrating to see these wrestlers split among several different teams due to competing clubs, coaches, parental friends, and locational wrestle offs.  The Compound Indy took the initiative this year to try and get most of the top talent in the state onto 1 team to go and compete against other state teams with a very deliberate selection process (without wrestle offs).  A selection criteria was used, and some good friends were left off of the team, however, it wasn't about friends and or teammates, it was about the state of IN.  With the help of clothing sponsors, state companies and supporters, the total cost for gear (fight shorts, qtr zips, singlet, t-shirt, entry fee) was less than 1/2 of other state dual costs.  16 of the 19 wrestlers were from the state of IN, and the team would have been 19/19 but there was an injury, a wrestler who's father was transferred out of state during the season, and then a wrestler who had to decommit.  The Compound Indy went and won the AAU National Duals and was the 1st IN team to do so.  If we can find a way of keeping this very special group of wrestlers together and continue to add to the development and growth of the youth wrestlers, Indiana can continually compete with the PA, IL, OH, MN, etc...  It all begins with accepting that National Teams should be built to win.  Congrats to all the wrestlers who competed throughout the country this past weekend.  Indiana as a state is showing that the talent is there, it just needs to be put together in the best way and taken to the most competitive duals.  Regardless of state affiliations.

Edited by #TheBrand

If we are making suggestions or giving opinions on how to ensure you get the best team to represent Indiana at Heartland Duals... I have a few thoughts.

There are plenty of opportunities for Indiana kids to travel on a national level and wrestle top level competition. This can be done for a lower cost, and closer to home.  Just about every high level wrestler family knows this.  So there needs to be something more.  Team spirit is the top thing I have in mind here.  I took notice on Twitter that the Indiana team that went to Tennessee had that spirit.  Gathering in a circle before the championship dual, slapping the mat and chanting.  Kids were coming over from other teams to join in the chant!  It looked to be a great team atmosphere.  The kids looked inspired.

Before that I would have thought simply naming a team “Team Indiana” would be the way to inspire kids to win for their state and have a sense of unity, but those guys did something right.  I think it would make sense to find out what they did, replicate it, or try and recruit them to help with Heartland Duals next year!

This was the last "youth" dual for most of the 8th graders. Good job men! Out of the Gold MS team, there were a plethora of boys that joined Buxton, ScorpionsDynasty, M2 or other high end east coast all-star teams this past off season and we were hopeful about what Heartland would bring if everyone stuck it out and went together as Team Indiana... 

Wrestler selection: There probably needs to be a balance of fair/equitable approaches with pragmatism... Example: if a young man cuts >10% of wt for MS state, what's the probability he would be able to do the same >60 days later (after the spring break time frame)? I'd hazard a guess that there's probably not enough trust to move to a selection process vs. wrestle-off, though... Not sure if a matside weigh-in would help in that regard or not

I will say that Minnesota seems to have it figured out. They have been consistently tough over the last 4 years we've traveled out there. Does anyone know their process for team selection, costs, etc?

Thank you to the coaches and other folks who helped coordinate these events... Can't wait to see what these young men do over the next 4-5 years! 

8 hours ago, indypharmd said:

Wrestler selection: There probably needs to be a balance of fair/equitable approaches with pragmatism... Example: if a young man cuts >10% of wt for MS state, what's the probability he would be able to do the same >60 days later (after the spring break time frame)? I'd hazard a guess that there's probably not enough trust to move to a selection process vs. wrestle-off, though... Not sure if a matside weigh-in would help in that regard or not

Maybe I am misinterpreting the above post, but the MS team doesn’t have wrestle offs as it is.  They select 1st and 2nd from MS State, and then down from there.  

And the weight factor is an issue, for sure.  My son got 3rd this year and was invited, but part of the reason I declined is because I didn’t want to commit him to that weight two months down the road.  I do believe matside weigh ins for MSS would help.

Edited by graham

The above suggestions are things that have been talked about over and over.  The bottom line is there is no perfect solution to the problem and the system we have in place currently is the best system we have come up with.

Everyone calls for team selection, but we all know what would happen if that were the process there would be threads on here and all other social media outlets calling for peoples heads for favoritism and other prejudicial decision making (even though that is not the case).

Look the bottom line is the system can work if participation is done properly...... meaning for MS state the huge enormous amounts of weight cut to make a weight class is just simply stupid.  Yes maybe you win a MS state title and congrats on that as it is a great accomplishment, but a side affect of this is that you now have taken the #1 spot away from other kids who would have had an opportunity at it when in reality you can never make it back (or planned to get back to) that weight for Heartland.

For the Elementary teams we have to have the best kids from all over the state at the wrestle off's end of discussion there.  People think their kids are better than other kids and should not have to come spend the 2hrs to wrestle off and make the team well this is just not the case.  if you look at every level of wrestling at any age they have wrestle off's to make a team (finals X, world team trials....etc).  The bottom line here is putting your own team together and purposely poaching kids that you know will be on the ISWA National teams is what is making the national teams weaker.  All that is happening there is you are taking the talent in the state and splitting it up between 2 teams/trips.

Congrats to the Compound Indy for winning AAU Kingsport, that is a great honor and the kids should be very very proud of themselves, but why not take a team to Kingsport with a sponsorship (and a cheaper price because of that sponsorship) full of kids that can use the experience and hope to make the ISWA national team next year all while sending the best 17 Gold kids and the best 17 Blue kids at all weights to Heartland ?  Then we can send the next 17 (however many weight classes are in Kingsport) to kingsport to develop and build for the future. 

This is collaboration and what is best for the state to develop stronger more competitive teams, not being self centered and having tunnel vision for what is best for a couple of kids.  We have too much of the 1% mentality going on in the state and this alone will keep us from being competitive with the other states.

Feel free to blast me if you want, but deep down you all know this hits directly to the heart of the issue. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.