Wrestlebacks question

H.B.

I’m just wondering about how long would the duration of our tournament series be if we had full wrestlebacks or wrestlebacks of any sorts? For example, if at semi-state only quarterfinalists can wrestle back and at State all participants are allowed to wrestleback. I don’t see them adding a whole day, but would starting earlier be a possibility?

Obviously a very big topic this time of year.... just some thoughts on wrestlebacks at each level.

Sectional - we have them after the pigtail matches.  So as long as kids are seeded correctly and non-seeded kids are placed in pigtail rounds I think this is a good way to run the Sectional.

Regional - You wrestle your way into your seed from Sectional and since only 2 Sectionals feed into a Regional there is no luck of the draw. Keep the same.

Semi-State - Biggest opportunity for wrestlebacks but if you only do wrestlebacks after the 1st round then people will start asking for wrestlebacks all the way through and 16 man brackets cant be run in 1 day without running into the 5 match rule.  Also most of the time the Semi State is wrapping up in the evening.  To add Wrestlebacks might only add a couple hours but that means the event is going until late evening and the length of Saturdays is a big discussion regarding what is killing the sport (I know this applys much less cause most of these kids and families would gladly stay longer at this level but its still an issue).  There also might not be the support of the HS admins as this would mean kids out on roads later in Feb when weather could be an issue and some are traveling 1-2 hours to get to their SS. There will always be bad draws and upsets.  I say leave it the same.

State - While it might not seem as if time would be an issue with the big break taken before the finals I dont think that break can be eliminated as they clear out BLF and re-admit everyone but there is more of an opportunity at State because it is 2 days.  All that being said, I don't necessarily see the value.  It might help with some recruitment but as out of season tournaments are becoming bigger and bigger with more and more coverage from flo and others I only see this helping a very few and the IHSAA isnt going to change for just a few.

All in all it probably makes the most sense to look at WB for semi-state but time and matches make it the most difficult to implement.  Plus we wouldnt get the 7 page thread on "death draws" and "need for wrestlback" in the forum to keep us entertained the week before SS!

Very .... Very.... Very.... long topic of discussion few years back and it seems it’s brought up every year. Bunch of people complaining and such . Topic gets locked 99% of the time and lastly it’s like talking to the wall next to you. Nothing going to change . 

The Notorious 

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

Very .... Very.... Very.... long topic of discussion few years back and it seems it’s brought up every year. Bunch of people complaining and such . Topic gets locked 99% of the time and lastly it’s like talking to the wall next to you. Nothing going to change . 

The Notorious 

Fews years back? This has been a long topic before Indianamat existed and we used the ISWA forum.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:44 PM, Rookies03 said:

Obviously a very big topic this time of year.... just some thoughts on wrestlebacks at each level.

Sectional - we have them after the pigtail matches.  So as long as kids are seeded correctly and non-seeded kids are placed in pigtail rounds I think this is a good way to run the Sectional.

Regional - You wrestle your way into your seed from Sectional and since only 2 Sectionals feed into a Regional there is no luck of the draw. Keep the same.

Semi-State - Biggest opportunity for wrestlebacks but if you only do wrestlebacks after the 1st round then people will start asking for wrestlebacks all the way through and 16 man brackets cant be run in 1 day without running into the 5 match rule.  Also most of the time the Semi State is wrapping up in the evening.  To add Wrestlebacks might only add a couple hours but that means the event is going until late evening and the length of Saturdays is a big discussion regarding what is killing the sport (I know this applys much less cause most of these kids and families would gladly stay longer at this level but its still an issue).  There also might not be the support of the HS admins as this would mean kids out on roads later in Feb when weather could be an issue and some are traveling 1-2 hours to get to their SS. There will always be bad draws and upsets.  I say leave it the same.

State - While it might not seem as if time would be an issue with the big break taken before the finals I dont think that break can be eliminated as they clear out BLF and re-admit everyone but there is more of an opportunity at State because it is 2 days.  All that being said, I don't necessarily see the value.  It might help with some recruitment but as out of season tournaments are becoming bigger and bigger with more and more coverage from flo and others I only see this helping a very few and the IHSAA isnt going to change for just a few.

All in all it probably makes the most sense to look at WB for semi-state but time and matches make it the most difficult to implement.  Plus we wouldnt get the 7 page thread on "death draws" and "need for wrestlback" in the forum to keep us entertained the week before SS!

But if you went back to the old way of qualifying for semi-state (top 3 only - had to win 2 matches at Regionals), then maybe you could do wrestlebacks at SS. Less first round matches with regional champs getting a bye. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.