Alternate Question

wrestleliferfan

38 minutes ago, wrestleliferfan said:

What are the stipulations in which an alternate is used? 

And if an alternate is used  do they replace the exact seed or does everyone move up a seed? 

At the regional the 5th place from the replaced wrestlers sectional is the first alternate. If that wrestler is unavailable then the next alternate is the 6th place wrestler from that sectional. They do not replace the exact seed. Everyone moves up from that sectional.

1 minute ago, tskin said:

and regionals is the only level where an alt can be used I found out a few years ago.

Semi-state used to or at least I’ve seen them allow alternates in at that level before.  Did they adjust that rule recently?

1 hour ago, tskin said:

a few years back we had an alt and then were informed only at regionals is an alt is allowed and they gave the other wrestler a FF on Friday night at State

That is interesting to hear.  A son of a friend of mine was told to show up early at Bankers Life the last two years as a possible alternate ... just in case.  

I have personally inputted alternates into the New Castle Semi-State and at Banker's Life. I do this if not every year at the SS, it is every other year. Whoever told you otherwise is incorrect. The ADs are involved as are the other Tournament Directors at each site. 

. Regionals to Semi‐States – The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place contestants in each weight class will advance to the semi‐

state.

1. Alternates – If it becomes necessary to provide an alternate for any contestant eligible to advance, the following

procedure will be used:

a. The alternate may be officially weighed in immediately after the end of the official weigh‐in period.

b. The 1st alternate will be the last individual defeated by the champion who did not advance by placing.

c. When a 1st place contestant is unable to make weight or weigh‐in and wrestle, the 2nd place contestant shall

be advanced to the position vacated, the 3rd place contestant shall be advanced to the position vacated by

the 2nd place contestant, and the 4th place contestant shall be advanced to the position vacated by the 3rd

place contestant.

d. When a 2nd place contestant is unable to make weight or weigh‐in and wrestle, the 3rd place contestant shall

be advanced to the position vacated and the 4th place wrestler shall be advanced to the position vacated by

the 3rd place contestant.

e. When the 3rd place contestant is unable to make weight or weigh‐in and wrestle, the 4th place contestant

shall be advanced to the position vacated by the 3rd place contestant.

f. Flagrant Misconduct – The advancement procedure above shall also apply when a contestant has been

disqualified for flagrant misconduct and is not permitted to advance to the next level of the tournament.

C. Semi‐States to State Finals – The 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place contestants in each weight class will advance to the state

finals.

1. Alternates – If it becomes necessary to provide an alternate for any contestant eligible to advance, the following

procedure will be used:

a. The alternate may be officially weighed in immediately after the end of the official weigh‐in period on Friday

evening.

b. The only alternate will be the 5th place contestant in that weight class from that site.

c. The 5th place alternate will be the last individual defeated by the champion who did not advance.

d. If it becomes necessary to provide an alternate for any contestant eligible to advance, the same procedure as

used for the semi‐state will be used for the state finals.

I would have to go back and find emails from IHSAA there might be more to the story than my old brain can remember.  Maybe I am not remembering this situation correctly which wouldn't be the first time that happened....lol

1 hour ago, tskin said:

I would have to go back and find emails from IHSAA there might be more to the story than my old brain can remember.  Maybe I am not remembering this situation correctly which wouldn't be the first time that happened....lol

at state it only goes to the #1 alternate, it doesn't go down the list

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.