2015 Middle School State

Y2CJ41

I remember watching some of these matches. Those were some long days, and was impressed how well some of those middle school kids wrestled. What's even more impressive is how much MS wrestling competition is getting better and deeper. Those middle weights at MS state are usually a pretty long tough road to win in those big brackets.

Impressive list of guys on there.

20 hours ago, wchew20 said:

I was there for that 13 hour day. People saw Shenandoah pop up in the 1A polls the last couple of years. If they would have been able to keep that middle school group together, they would have competed for a state title. They had the Williams kid that lost to Jack Kiser in the finals in OT (moved away). They also had Jordan Slivka, Dallas Pugsley (SQ), Hayden Lohrey (lost to Asa in the finals that year and looking for his 3rd trip to the bank this year) AJ Black 2x State runner up, and Silas Allred (you may have heard of him). John Slivka did a great job building that program when these kids were in middle school before they moved to Cathedral. I can’t imagine seeing a better 1A team.  

I understand where you're coming from, and Shenandoah should be very proud of the kids they've developed, but isn't Mater Die technically a 1a team by enrollment? I'd have to say they are the best ever going by that classification.

22 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

MS - 102

• 1st Place - Jake Schoenegge of Northside MS
  • 2nd Place - Brayden Curtis of Yorktown MS
  • 3rd Place - Alex Mosconi of Indiana Pride WA
  • 4th Place - Samuel Fair of Perry Meridian WC
  • 5th Place - Jordan Slivka of Shenandoah
  • 6th Place - Eli Dickens of Union County Wrestling Club
  • 7th Place - Gary Kitko of CIA
  • 8th Place - Matthew Gimson of Jimtown

Oof.

Wow! Talk about loaded. 

20 hours ago, Champ725 said:

The only thing I saw on flyer was you couldn’t wrestle if you did 8th grade once already. Also for weigh ins added early weigh ins for $20.....easy $4000 made and wish more tournaments offered this 

What cost do the tournament organizers incur that warrants the $20 fee? 

3 minutes ago, 4U2NV said:

What cost do the tournament organizers incur that warrants the $20 fee? 

Maybe not as much as the cost the wrestler incur when he can’t/doesn’t pay that fee then has to wrestle someone who had that extra day to gain additional weight and energy before their morning match.    Kinda seems like your paying to get that slight morning advantage. 

2 hours ago, MattM said:

Maybe not as much as the cost the wrestler incur when he can’t/doesn’t pay that fee then has to wrestle someone who had that extra day to gain additional weight and energy before their morning match.    Kinda seems like your paying to get that slight morning advantage. 

It does seem like there is a competitive advantage in paying $20 for the privilege of weighing in a day early. Seems like a bit of a money grab for the organizer’s organization. Next they will be selling “Takedown or Stalling Cards” If people are willing to pay $20 to weigh in early, they would surly pay at least $50 for a free takedown or reverse a stall call. lol. 

14 minutes ago, TeamInjuryTime07 said:

Early weigh in for an extra fee happens at a lot of tournaments.  It’s a very smart concept you make some extra money for whatever organization and you get a good chunk of kids weighed in early which cuts down on morning weigh in times so it is a win-win. 

The biggest difference is the other events offer the early weigh-ins a few hours before the normal weigh-ins, not 12+ hours ahead of time.

We already had a Ben Davis person telling how they have a hard time with number and off-season participation due to money, this just makes this sport even more expensive just to be able to compete.

21 minutes ago, TeamInjuryTime07 said:

Early weigh in for an extra fee happens at a lot of tournaments.  It’s a very smart concept you make some extra money for whatever organization and you get a good chunk of kids weighed in early which cuts down on morning weigh in times so it is a win-win. 

I don’t see it as a win-win when you can buy a competitive advantage for $20. 

Edited by 4U2NV

45 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

The biggest difference is the other events offer the early weigh-ins a few hours before the normal weigh-ins, not 12+ hours ahead of time.

We already had a Ben Davis person telling how they have a hard time with number and off-season participation due to money, this just makes this sport even more expensive just to be able to compete.

I agree more time between weigh ins but most of those other tournament don’t offer a day of weigh in either so that means people from out of town have to pay for a hotel room. In this particular situation anyone close by can avoid the fee and weigh in day of. 

As far as the Ben Davis example,  we all have problems,their kids are still given the same opportunity to compete for the same price as anyone else. Those with extra money and feel like it is beneficial to them will pay it and weigh in. I do wish Wrestling wasn’t as costly but unfortunately that’s the way it goes, I love that at tournaments like IHPO and super 32 coaches get a discount or free wristband with a membership card I had to pay $60ish dollars at Virginia Beach to coach my own kids that to me is a bigger issue than weighing in early for $20. 

52 minutes ago, 4U2NV said:

I don’t see it as a win-win when you can buy a competitive advantage for $20. 

There is some advantage but you make it seem like these kids are buying a 2lb allowance, they get some extra time to recover if they are cutting weight. They still have to make the same weight and the opportunity is there for everyone to pay the fee if they see fit. My point was this isn’t new and I think it is smart 

All I know that in 2015 we were at ihop at 12 midnight celebrating on a school night! 

Great to see more and full mats. With that said, the late night kinda added to the whole experience (in some weird way). 

With all that said, it feels like it was yesterday. For those familes that participated at Center Grove.... You are about to start the high school journey. There will be highs and lows. Just enjoy it all and soak it all in. It will all be over in a blink of an eye! 

5 minutes ago, TeamInjuryTime07 said:

I agree more time between weigh ins but most of those other tournament don’t offer a day of weigh in either so that means people from out of town have to pay for a hotel room. In this particular situation anyone close by can avoid the fee and weigh in day of. 

As far as the Ben Davis example,  we all have problems,their kids are still given the same opportunity to compete for the same price as anyone else. Those with extra money and feel like it is beneficial to them will pay it and weigh in. I do wish Wrestling wasn’t as costly but unfortunately that’s the way it goes, I love that at tournaments like IHPO and super 32 coaches get a discount or free wristband with a membership card I had to pay $60ish dollars at Virginia Beach to coach my own kids that to me is a bigger issue than weighing in early for $20. 

There is some advantage but you make it seem like these kids are buying a 2lb allowance, they get some extra time to recover if they are cutting weight. They still have to make the same weight and the opportunity is there for everyone to pay the fee if they see fit. My point was this isn’t new and I think it is smart 

The kids are buying a big weight allowance as the kids that weighed in on Saturday night are probably 2-5lbs heavier. They are able to eat two decent meals before they hit the mats while the ones that weigh-in on Sunday morning only get a small breakfast before they hit the mat.

There is a big difference in giving the kids a couple hour "advantage" to weighing in versus a 12+ hour advantage. The other events that offer VIP weigh-ins only allow it for a certain number of individuals and not everyone. 

I'm not a big fan of the VIP weigh-ins period, but 12+ hours ahead of time is even more out of line. I have a feeling this was done to be a money grab as the $20 can add up pretty quickly especially if half the participants weighed in early.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:46 PM, Sig40 said:

Someone asked on the youth forum how many 3 time middle school state champs there were, so I have been going through brackets for a few hours.  So far I can only find 3.

Jesse Mendez (85, 102, & 125)
Brayton Lee (90, 110, & 132)
Drew Hughes (75, 80, & 85)

I think these guys were up there being 3xer but dont quote me on it lol

Jason Tsirtsis

Jacob Tonte

Jarred Brooks

And I was a 3xer -- 08' (75), 09' (85), 10' (110)

so adding these guys makes for one heck of a list

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.