2015 Middle School State

Y2CJ41

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=143045009

There were some great matches there and it is always fun looking at how some kids have grown...or not grown!

One interesting champ that stands out to me is 175lbs Jack Kiser, he was Mr. Football and doesn't look like he ever stepped on the mat in high school.

27 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

https://www.trackwrestling.com/tw/opentournaments/VerifyPassword.jsp?tournamentId=143045009

There were some great matches there and it is always fun looking at how some kids have grown...or not grown!

One interesting champ that stands out to me is 175lbs Jack Kiser, he was Mr. Football and doesn't look like he ever stepped on the mat in high school.

Jack went on multiple national team trips that I was a part of back in elementary and middle school. Always tried to get him to keep wrestling. Kid is an awesome athlete! After I heard about his football skills, I knew we lost a great one. Super proud of that kid! 

MS - 102

• 1st Place - Jake Schoenegge of Northside MS
  • 2nd Place - Brayden Curtis of Yorktown MS
  • 3rd Place - Alex Mosconi of Indiana Pride WA
  • 4th Place - Samuel Fair of Perry Meridian WC
  • 5th Place - Jordan Slivka of Shenandoah
  • 6th Place - Eli Dickens of Union County Wrestling Club
  • 7th Place - Gary Kitko of CIA
  • 8th Place - Matthew Gimson of Jimtown

Oof.

16 minutes ago, Caleb Spires said:

MS - 102

• 1st Place - Jake Schoenegge of Northside MS
  • 2nd Place - Brayden Curtis of Yorktown MS
  • 3rd Place - Alex Mosconi of Indiana Pride WA
  • 4th Place - Samuel Fair of Perry Meridian WC
  • 5th Place - Jordan Slivka of Shenandoah
  • 6th Place - Eli Dickens of Union County Wrestling Club
  • 7th Place - Gary Kitko of CIA
  • 8th Place - Matthew Gimson of Jimtown

Oof.

more impressive with that weight class that year was who didn't place....

Cayden Rooks

Gavin Rose

Geremia Brooks

Broick Peele

Brice Colman

Jayden Reynolds

I was there for that 13 hour day. People saw Shenandoah pop up in the 1A polls the last couple of years. If they would have been able to keep that middle school group together, they would have competed for a state title. They had the Williams kid that lost to Jack Kiser in the finals in OT (moved away). They also had Jordan Slivka, Dallas Pugsley (SQ), Hayden Lohrey (lost to Asa in the finals that year and looking for his 3rd trip to the bank this year) AJ Black 2x State runner up, and Silas Allred (you may have heard of him). John Slivka did a great job building that program when these kids were in middle school before they moved to Cathedral. I can’t imagine seeing a better 1A team.  

ISWA 2014 Schoolboy/girl - 98

Guaranteed Places

• 1st Place - Graham Rooks of Columbus East
  • 2nd Place - Baxter Annakin of Maurer Coughlin
  • 3rd Place - Nick South of Red Cobra
  • 4th Place - Clay Egli of Maurer Coughlin
  • 5th Place - Christian Hunt of Yorktown
  • 6th Place - Anthony Mosconi of Indiana Pride
  • 7th Place - Tyce Freije of Carmel USA
  • 8th Place - Eric Hiestand of Yorktown

Someone asked on the youth forum how many 3 time middle school state champs there were, so I have been going through brackets for a few hours.  So far I can only find 3.

Jesse Mendez (85, 102, & 125)
Brayton Lee (90, 110, & 132)
Drew Hughes (75, 80, & 85)

Edited by Sig40
added weights

3 minutes ago, Sig40 said:

Someone asked on the youth forum how many 3 time middle school state champs there were, so I have been going through brackets for a few hours.  So far I can only find 3.

Jesse Mendez
Brayton Lee 
Drew Hughes

Enough said.  Based on this info I;m going out on a limb and picking Jesse Mendez to win state at 126 this year. 

17 minutes ago, Champ725 said:

We could be getting a 4 timer as some kids attended for the 4th time this year and I’m sure it will happen again.

MS State?  Unless rules have changed this year that I didn’t see it’s only open to 6th-8th graders that have not already completed one 8th grade year.  So that would work other than maybe the wording loophole allowing anyone held back in 6th or 7th grade to have more eligibility. 

Edited by MattM

2 minutes ago, backtothemat said:

Don't be shy.  Who you thinking of?

No one in particular but under the current rules it’s says you couldn’t have finished 8th grade. This year I believe we had a least two 6th graders win and potentially if held back before 8th grade could win 4. IMO you should only be allowed to enter 3 times no matter what

3 minutes ago, MattM said:

MS State?  Unless rules have changed this year that I didn’t see it’s only open to 6th-8th graders that have not already completed an 8th grade year.  So that would work other than maybe the wording loophole if they were held back in 6th or 7th grade. 

I think a loophole does exist and should be worded different.....I also think if you wrestle there you are only eligible for 3 consecutive years.

32 minutes ago, Champ725 said:

I think a loophole does exist and should be worded different.....I also think if you wrestle there you are only eligible for 3 consecutive years.

I noticed a couple kids that competed for their 4th year this year.  Must have just gotten lucky because they are only allowed 3 years.  Plus they are not supposed to compete twice as an 8th grader, if they were held back their 8th grade year.

3 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

If Kiser stuck with it, we could’ve had a Parris-Kiser matchup at state last year 

10 minutes ago, Sig40 said:

I noticed a couple kids that competed for their 4th year this year.  Must have just gotten lucky because they are only allowed 3 years.  Plus they are not supposed to compete twice as an 8th grader, if they were held back their 8th grade year.

Ya not sure how close it’s monitored but would like to see  a even playing field so that doesn’t continue to happen

1 minute ago, Champ725 said:

Ya not sure how close it’s monitored but would like to see  a even playing field so that doesn’t continue to happen

Maybe they changed it, because they used to send kids home that didn't make the weight they signed up for.  I did hear that the tournament was ran much smoother and quicker this year at Center Grove.

2 minutes ago, Sig40 said:

Maybe they changed it, because they used to send kids home that didn't make the weight they signed up for.  I did hear that the tournament was ran much smoother and quicker this year at Center Grove.

The only thing I saw on flyer was you couldn’t wrestle if you did 8th grade once already. Also for weigh ins added early weigh ins for $20.....easy $4000 made and wish more tournaments offered this 

5 minutes ago, backtothemat said:

Tell me that Kiser is at least playing at the next level.......

Signed to Notre Dame, but I think they currently have him slotted at a linebacker spot.  Still pretty impressive for a small school QB. 

Edited by MattM

34 minutes ago, backtothemat said:

Tell me that Kiser is at least playing at the next level.......

He is arguably one of the best 1A football players ever. 

He he played for team Indiana as well. Pure stud. He is equivalent to the mason Paris and Braylon lee. 

3 hours ago, wchew20 said:

I was there for that 13 hour day. People saw Shenandoah pop up in the 1A polls the last couple of years. If they would have been able to keep that middle school group together, they would have competed for a state title. They had the Williams kid that lost to Jack Kiser in the finals in OT (moved away). They also had Jordan Slivka, Dallas Pugsley (SQ), Hayden Lohrey (lost to Asa in the finals that year and looking for his 3rd trip to the bank this year) AJ Black 2x State runner up, and Silas Allred (you may have heard of him). John Slivka did a great job building that program when these kids were in middle school before they moved to Cathedral. I can’t imagine seeing a better 1A team.  

John Slivka is an effing legend. What a blessing he has been to the Cathedral program!

11 hours ago, navy80 said:

He is arguably one of the best 1A football players ever. 

I don’t think it is arguable at all as to whether he is ONE of best 1A football players ever.  I think that it is clear that he is, without any argument.  😀

What might be arguable is whether he is the single best 1A football player of all time.  That is, I imagine some Brett Law fans, as well as maybe some others, would do some arguing about that.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.