Evansville North Regional

SWSpectator

Very surprising that this is not a topic yet, this use to be one of the most talked about Regionals in the State.

I'll throw out some predictions maybe to get some conversation going....

106: Freeman, Newman, West, Amento.....Newman vs West will be a good one, but don't think any of them can top Freeman.

113: Ross, Sutton, Kendall, Boyd....I think Kendall could pull the upset over Sutton, but nobody challenges Ross.

120: Boarman, Scott, Casebolt, Wueth....no really good matches here, Scott is tough, but I don't think he has what it takes to hang with Boarman.

126: Egli, Amento, Overton, Hunt...Amento vs Overton can go either way, I like Amento though in this one.

132: Egli, Heeke, Polen, Martin...Martin has came on strong as of late with wins over Heeke (PAC) and Polen (Sectionals), but I'll take Heeke and Polen this time around.

138: Mayer, McNeely, Wellmeier, Morgan...could be our first sweep of the sectional top 4, lot of good first round matchups that can go either way.

145: Lee, Fulks, Bryant, Hartz...Fulks is having a great season, but still don't think its enough to compete with Lee.

152: Dickens, Dilbeck, Rodriguez, Conner...Dickens runs away with it.

160: Deters, Sollars, Singleton, Schmidt...Top 3 could go anyway.

170: Parkinson, Martin, Hoover, Willman...nobody challenges Parkinson, but another Central Sectional sweep is very possible.

182: Rodgers, Kemper, Moore, Willman...another weight that any of the Top 4 could win it. Will Willman be healthy enough?

195: Nunn, McGennis, Carrier, McGrew...McGennis wins two tight matches last week, but don't think he has what it takes to knock off Nunn.

220: Stewart, Robison, Hirsch, Buck...Stewart vs Robison will be a good one.

285: Brievogel, Rea, Wimpelberg, Combs...Wimpelberg could be a spoiler here.

Not much drama here...   only a handful of match ups that could affect the top spot.  No disrespect to the kids competing for placement, but from an outside (not directly involved with a team/wrestler) perspective it's a relative yawner.  Hence the lack of discussion. 

1 minute ago, Indysportsfan said:

It is not that hard if the other person is better.

Yes very great point. But, in this case Heuring is the better wrestler, not disputing that, and I am probably wrong on my prediction, I didn't see either of the first two matches between these two, but I see a 7-3 result, and that could be the difference between not giving up a takedown and getting one. Good luck to both wrestlers.

Just now, SWSpectator said:

Yes very great point. But, in this case Heuring is the better wrestler, not disputing that, and I am probably wrong on my prediction, I didn't see either of the first two matches between these two, but I see a 7-3 result, and that could be the difference between not giving up a takedown and getting one. Good luck to both wrestlers.

Agree, it could have been 5-3 with a late scramble that made it 7-3.  I was just pointing out that the adage of "it is tough to beat someone 3 times" doesn't apply in many circumstances according to stats sites and/or Vegas betting lines.

46 minutes ago, MDP02 said:

What about at 160 evansville harrisons Jacob Boyd?

and at 285 harrisons Dawson Garrett has a good match first round, both wrestlers are pretty even in skill levels

I haven't seen Harrison wrestle this year, so not to familiar with those two guys.

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Not much drama here...   only a handful of match ups that could affect the top spot.  No disrespect to the kids competing for placement, but from an outside (not directly involved with a team/wrestler) perspective it's a relative yawner.  Hence the lack of discussion. 

Next week it gets a lot more interesting. 

1 hour ago, MDP02 said:

and at 285 harrisons Dawson Garrett has a good match first round, both wrestlers are pretty even in skill levels

I'm guessing since this is your first post, you know something about these two or are affiliated with Harrison in some way.  Please tell us what do you think?  What can you tell us about the two wrestlers?  How did they fare in duals against Mater Dei, Memorial, Union Co., etc.?  Why is Garrett only 6-3 on the year?  He's 4-3 in the past two weekends.  Who and when were his other two wins?

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I'm guessing since this is your first post, you know something about these two or are affiliated with Harrison in some way.  Please tell us what do you think?  What can you tell us about the two wrestlers?  How did they fare in duals against Mater Dei, Memorial, Union Co., etc.?  Why is Garrett only 6-3 on the year?  He's 4-3 in the past two weekends.  Who and when were his other two wins?

Dawson Garrett was not able to wrestle until this January that is why he has not wrestled. Jacob (160) is a very strong aggressive wrestler who comes out typically very strong. Against Mater Dei Jacob is no match (but not many are a mach against Mater Dei). Dawson held his own and lost by one point against the Mater Dei Mathew Woodruff. I do not remember off the top of my head Dawsons wins.

31 minutes ago, FortunatlyGreat said:

Did Boyd Wrestle 160 all year for Harrison? Because I don’t remember seeing him at the Harrison 10-way

Boyd wreslted 145 for most of the season and recently jumped to 160. He wrestled the Harrison 10-way at 145.

55 minutes ago, MDP02 said:

Dawson Garrett was not able to wrestle until this January that is why he has not wrestled. Jacob (160) is a very strong aggressive wrestler who comes out typically very strong. Against Mater Dei Jacob is no match (but not many are a mach against Mater Dei). Dawson held his own and lost by one point against the Mater Dei Mathew Woodruff. I do not remember off the top of my head Dawsons wins.

Thanks for the reply and the info.  

I think Boyd has a tall task.  I'm not sure how the new weight class will help him.  Is he closer to his walking around weight and the cut was too tough at 160?  If so, this may be a good thing.  Unfortunately Harrison is one of the Evansville schools that seems allergic to using Track Wrestling so it is tough to get much info on what he did at 145.  I don't know enough about him or Dalton Schmidt to know how good his chances are in the first round.  If he gets by Schmidt, he seems destined for 4th place.  The good news is he may not have to face Rob Deters again, as a semifinal match against Sollars would be tough.  In the 3rd/4th place match, Singleton or Deters are both very good.  If he can get to 4th place, the experience he gets going to semistate the following weekend will be huge for him going forward as he is only a sophomore.  Not sure if he plays other sports, but the off-season has the potential to really help him improve going into next year.

Garrett lost to Aidian Rea last week (TB1) and to Jacob Hirsch (fall) and Matthew Woodruff (SV) at the SIAC.  Hunter Wimpleberg, his first round match, beat both Hirsch and Woodruff at the SIAC and has more experience.  Anything can happen at HWT, but he's got an uphill battle ahead.  He's a junior so the offseason could also provide a big boost for next year as it appears he has limited experience.  Harrison has struggled badly in recent years.  It would be nice for some of their guys to experience some success, put the time in during the offseason and come back and help build something better.

Edited by SWINfan

5 hours ago, SWINfan said:

It’s a lack of discussion because it hasn’t been posted by HookandHalf. He typically writes up a great article every year but it seems work has him tied up these days. No disrespect to Spectator for bringing up the topic though and I like the picks with just a few adjustments. While the talent level may seem to be down this year, make no mistake that there will be some good wrestling. Don’t sleep on any of the Boonville boys and we know Coach Moll will have the boys from the corn fields ready to rumble. 

Some matches that are going to be interesting barring any “upsets”

106-West vs Newman. Both are great scramblers but West is finally a legit 106 and is one of the best scramblers I’ve seen. The crowd is in for a treat with this high paced match. 

113- Kendall vs Sutton  Both seasoned wrestlers coming in for a critical match with a lot on the line.The winners consolation prize is a shot to take down Ross. The loser of this will possibly come away with a 3 seed and an uphill battle to take out a  2 seed(not impossible though)

126- Amento vs Overton  Don’t let Amentos record fool ya. He’s a scrappy young man and could pull off a victory vs a very tough Overton  

145-Lee vs Fulks  Two bulls going at it here. That gym will be crazy for these 2 studs. 

160-Deters vs Singleton   Can Singleton stage off the high octane pursuit of Deters? Doesn’t get any easier in the finals as I believe who ever wins this match will have Sollars waiting for him. Singleton beat Sollars at the EMD Classic 4-0

182-Rodgers vs Willman. Both come in with an attractive W/L record. The prize for winning here is a polished Kemper awaiting him  

195- McKinley vs McGennis. These 2 seniors come battle in the last regionals as high schoolers for an opportunity to battle Nunn. Nunn pretty much manhandled McKinley at the sectionals, can he get redemption?

5 hours ago, MDP02 said:

I think arguing who finishes in 4th place in this regional at this weight may be diving a little too deep?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.