Perry Meridian Regional

Indysportsfan

Potential matches between state ranked wrestlers:

106:  #1 Cottey vs #7 Perry // #1 Cottey vs #15 Glithero // #7 Perry vs #15 Glithero

113:  #3 Pierson vs #15 White

120: #4 Lowery vs #10 Stewart

138:  #2 Freije vs #9 Smith // #2 Freije vs #12 Rowlett // #9 Smith vs #12 Rowlett

145:  #4 Warren vs #5 Graves

152: #3 Noehre vs #4 Coleman // #3 Noehre vs #9 Fair // #4 Coleman vs #9 Fair

160:  #3 Davis vs #10 Taylor

285:  #9 Hubbard vs #10 Harris // #9 Hubbard vs #12 Alexander // #10 Harris vs #12 Alexander

Edited by Indysportsfan

Allow me to provide analysis for this weekend with probably the most unbiased opinion on this forum.  🙂   Let me apologize in advance this will be slanted toward 3 teams who will be battling for the Ship.

It is a 3-way race with Warren Central in the drivers seat.  Throughout the year the Warriors have proved they are the better overall team than both the Rebels and Falcons.  They defeated them at County by a healthy margin, unless we see a few upsets along the way I believe the Warriors will prevail once again.  The Rebels defeated the Falcons at County and last week in Sectionals the Falcons returned the favor by winning with approximately the same margin.  As you will see there are many matches that could sway the team race to either Perry or Roncalli based on a mild upset and/or a toss-up going the other way this time.....it will be a fun day at Perry!

All 3 teams advanced their 14 wrestlers in the following fashion:

Warren -- 10 Champs & 4 Seconds; Roncalli -- 6 Champs, 4 Seconds, 4 Thirds; Perry -- 7 Champs, 5 Seconds and 2 Thirds.

1st round matches (3-seed vs 2-seed):

Warren vs Roncalli -- 2 (182 & 220 -- HUGE matches for team scoring)

Warren vs Perry -- 0

This weight class belongs to Mr. Cottey, with a close battle for 2nd.  Cottey has wins this season over #7 Carlton Perry and #15 Kody Glithero; it would surprise me to see him get a serious challenge before Saturday morning at Bankers Life.  Second place should be a tough battle between the other state ranked contenders.  This season Perry is 2-0 vs Glithero but the results were 3-1 & 3-2.  If the Roncalli frosh can pull off the mild upset it would definitely tighten up the team race.

Cottey, Perry, Glithero, Smith

Similar to 106 I see a clear cut favorite in #4 David Pierson.  He finished 4th in the state last year and I am certain a deep run will occur again this year.  The battle for 2nd should be hotly contested between Andrew Haggerty and Christian White.  I don't believe they have faced each other and common opponents are not easily found.  White has the better record, Haggerty has the tougher schedule.  Wilson, from Roncalli, has a win over ss #8 Brac Hooper so he has the potential to find some magic and take 3rd place.

Pierson, White, Haggerty, Wilson

The favorite is #4 Brayden Lowery, sitting at 32-0, but he has been challenged on 2 occasions from #12 Chris Stewart (3-0 & 4-2).  Both wrestlers have faced an array of challengers this year, and although Stewart has 7 losses they have come at the hands of Littell, Montgomery, Lowery, etc....  With that said I still have Lowery being the winner in convincing fashion, regardless of the score.

Lowery, Stewart, Morton, Donlan 

#11 Jeivan Ross is the wrestler to beat here and ss #7 Sam Slivka will be the opponent giving it a try in the Finals.  Ross owns 2 wins over Slivka this year (Fall & 8-0) but I believe Slivka will continue to close the game on Saturday.  Slivka has 4 losses on the year (Rioux & Curtis) so he has been tested plenty of times and should be ready on Saturday.  Ross, who was shot in the forehead last year while laying in bed, has had an outstanding year and I pull for him in any match outside of facing a Rebel.

Ross, Slivka, Mckee, Cotter

#2 Alec Viduya should succeed on Saturday facing a well-known wrestler in ss #5 Aundre Beatty in the final.  Alec has 2 wins over Beatty (20-5 & 15-5) and should continue that streak while moving on to New Castle.  This weight was deprived of an outstanding wrestler in Gavin Rose when he was forced to withdraw due to an injury; who will seize the opportunity to gain an invite to New Castle that probably would not have been available?

Viduya, Beatty, Taylor, Defreese

One of the best weights in the Regional.  You have #2 Tyce Freije, #9 Gabe Smith and #12 Jarred Rowlett battling for that #1 seed at New Castle.  Freije is the favorite having multiple wins over Smith and a Team State win over Rowlett.  Smith defeated Rowlett earlier in the year but that semi-final match could go either way.  I believe Goodwin (Southport) has been ranked this year in the semi-state so he is a wrestler you can not overlook...quite the entertainment should be provided from this group.

Freije, Smith, Rowlett, Goodwin

Two thoroughbreds are gearing up the finals at this weight.  #4 Aiden Warren and #5 Antwaun Graves are set to do battle for the Regional crown.  Warren holds the advantage this year with a 4-3 UTB victory in the County so it is obvious the 2 wrestlers are evenly matched.  Given the New Castle SS will have 3 other top 10 wrestlers waiting in the wings (Mosconi, Hall & Dunasky) being the top dog at Perry will provide you a 66% chance of avoiding one of them in the ticket round vs a 66% chance of wrestling one of them if you get 2nd.

Graves, Warren, Wright, Page

I will finish the last 7 weights tonight -- something called 'WORK' is bothering me at the moment.

Edited by Indysportsfan

I agree - although Perry doesn't have quite as many top-shelf guys as recent history, they are solid all the way through and Warren + Roncalli also bring some hammers.  Don't forget about Greenfield-Central too, it's a shame they lost Rose for his senior year but they have some other wrestlers who are very solid and could prove to be spoilers

#3 Cooper Noehre, #4 Brice Coleman and #9 Sammy Fair headline this weight.  The sectional win by Coleman, over Noehre, provided an huge advantage to the Warrior wrestler because he will most likely have an easier path to the finals.  Noehre owns a 5-3 OT victory over Fair this year, but Fair is the returning State runner-up and has plenty of moxy.  The potential of drawing into #2 Rodgers is real for the 2nd or 3rd place finisher, something each one of them would like to avoid until Bankers.

Noehre, Coleman, Fair, Akins

#3 Brooks Davis is the favorite at this weight but has a stiff challenge in the semi-finals vs 31-2 Jake Rebein, who lost a close contest to the Sectional & County champ #10 Aaron Taylor.  I suspect Taylor will find himself in the finals,awaiting the winner of the aforementioned match.  Davis is looking to build upon his 7th place State finish last year.  As a side note, returning State Champ Jordan Slivka will be at New Castle so better win now to avoid that ticket round match.

Davis, Taylor, Rebein, Moore

#5 Elijah Mahern is the favorite to take home the title at this weight.  At 30-1 he has had a fantastic season; with that said some of the records of the other wrestlers are very good as well (25-8, 25-12, 29-8, 21-7, 25-10).  Noah Baker led him late into the 3rd period last week before succumbing to a fall and previously ranked Damon McClain will probably be waiting in the finals.  170 at New Castle is legit, with  EIGHT ranked wrestlers, so the path to Bankers will be difficult regardless of the finish here.

Mahern, McClain, Baker, Clevenger

Wide open weight class, just waiting for somebody to grab it and OWN it.  There are no ranked wrestlers in this group but coming off his Sectional win, 27-1 Hayden Filipovich, has the best record.  He will be challenged by Tyler Goodall in the top half while down below Payton Frye will probably emerge as the victor, but he will have to earn it as well.  182 at New Castle is not loaded with ranked kids so a good finish here could propel someone to an unexpected trip to Bankers....Carpe Diem wrestlers.

Frye, Goodall, Salazar, Filipovich

#12 Austin Lane is the headliner at 195 but semi-state ranked wrestlers #7 Gavin Keesee and #8 Nathan Bishop will make him earn it.  Lane wrestled up early in the season so he did not see the other 2 ranked wrestlers at County, where Bishop beat Keesee.  Last week Keesee returned the favor and now has the easier path to the Regional Final.  I suspect Lane will be to much this Saturday and bring home a crown, especially knowing that #1 Silas Allred could be a ticket round match for 2nd or 3rd.

Lane, Keesee, Bishop, Beard

#15 Deshawn Young will try to build on his fantastic year (Sectional and County Champ) and add the Regional title.  Standing in his way is 27-2 Alexander Burton, who last week lost a 1-point decision to previously semi-state ranked Carlos Mitchell.  Mitchell owns a win over Young this year although last week he lost 3-1.  You also have the new kid on the block, and Sectional Champ, Jeff McClure from Perry Meridian.  His record shows is 3-0 this year; until last week he was a complete unknown to me which is not a common occurrence.  He had 3 falls and cemented himself as one of the contenders.

McClure, Young, Burton, Mitchell

Hang on to your seats because the 'big guys' are bringing plenty of fire power to the event tomorrow.  #9 Dennis Hubbard, #10 John Harris and #12 Antone Alexander are expected to battle for the Regional title.  Hubbard owns a win over Harris at Team State, Alexander is 2-1 vs Hubbard, and Harris was county runner-up to #1 ranked Watts.  It will be interesting to see who brings their 'A' game and avoids a possible ticket round match with the aforementioned Watts.

Harris, Alexander, Hubbard, Jones

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.