Number of sectional participants

takemtothemat

22 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

I was at Southridge Saturday...i would say that sectional would be one of the fewest dont you think?

I counted 96 wrestlers (but I totally could have miscounted). Looks like Southridge, Jasper, and Floyd had a full lineup while North Knox had 12, Pike Central had 10, Forest Park had 9, New Albany had 6, BNL had 8, and Mitchel had 9.

A few numbers to consider from the East Chicago Central sectional, which saw a ton of FFs.

Merrillville cruised to victory in racking up the highest team score state-wide, with 12 champions and then 2nd place for the two wrestlers that didn't win their weight class. Only complete line-up of the ten team field.

103 and 195 had just two wrestlers apeice for their classes.

Hammond Gavit brought 12 wrestlers and had a champion at 160 in Jaymeire Johnson. One wrestler appeared to not make weight in the 195 weight class however, which as said previously left that class with just two wrestlers.

Munster brought ten wrestlers, but I don't believe they have any kids ranked in SS...definitely a down year for the Mustangs but it should be noted the football team actually cancelled their JV season because of numbers. It appears to be a trying time in athletics for a proud school.

Hammond Morton usually brings in at least a couple hammers and Reese Rodriguez proved that correct as the senior won by MD over Pejovski of Merrillville @ 132 pounds. Morton brought 8 wrestlers.

Numbers for the other participants...

Hammond Clark - 8 wrestlers
Whiting - 6 
East Chicago - 4

Gary West Side, Hammond Bishop Noll, and Hammond High brought just 3 wrestlers apeice. 

Edited by Silvertone1696

18 hours ago, patriotfan said:

I counted 96 wrestlers (but I totally could have miscounted). Looks like Southridge, Jasper, and Floyd had a full lineup while North Knox had 12, Pike Central had 10, Forest Park had 9, New Albany had 6, BNL had 8, and Mitchel had 9.

There were 95. That's 6.8 per weight, which isn't very close to the lowest despite a number of teams having low numbers.

16 hours ago, Silvertone1696 said:

A few numbers to consider from the East Chicago Central sectional, which saw a ton of FFs.

Merrillville cruised to victory in racking up the highest team score state-wide, with 12 champions and then 2nd place for the two wrestlers that didn't win their weight class. Only complete line-up of the ten team field.

Hammond Gavit brought 12 wrestlers and had a champion at 160 in Jaymeire Johnson. One wrestler appeared to not make weight in the 195 weight class however, which as said previously left that class with just two wrestlers.

Munster brought ten wrestlers, but I don't believe they have any kids ranked in SS...definitely a down year for the Mustangs but it should be noted the football team actually cancelled their JV season because of numbers. It appears to be a trying time in athletics for a proud school.

Hammond Morton usually brings in at least a couple hammers and Reese Rodriguez proved that correct as the senior won by MD over Pejovski of Merrillville @ 132 pounds. Morton brought 8 wrestlers.

Whiting - 6 
East Chicago - 4

Gary West Side, Hammond Bishop Noll, and Hammond High brought just 3 wrestlers apeice. 

All told, there were 71--or 5.1 per weight.

18 hours ago, Silvertone1696 said:

Whiting - 6 
East Chicago - 4

There were 4 originally seeded at 195, I think one was scratched at weigh-ins and the other was DQd for Flagrant, that is why he was removed and all his points taken away.

I can see this Sectional being mixed up in the future. There are rumors of the School City of Hammond downsizing to only 2 High Schools instead of the current 4. Bishop Noll was supposed to be JV only this year, with the low participation numbers, I am not too sure how much longer they will remain a program.  Jamal Lawrence is coaching at West Side, so it will be exciting to see if he can revive the program. I know I have already seen him around the youth tournaments.  Removing Lake Central from this Sectional really hurt the depth as they would always bring a full team.  This Sectional has never been one of the stronger ones, but it always has produced some solid individuals and most teams would bring close to full line-ups.  This was the first time that I can remember that we did not have at least one weight class with a first round match. Lowest number of participants I have seen in my time with this Sectional, hopefully in the next couple years we can get the participation up to what it once used to be.

I'm curious why none of the Hammond area teams are more involved with the youth Region Wrestling program?  It seems like this program is turning out some great wrestlers year after year and is within driving range from Hammond

13 minutes ago, base said:

I'm curious why none of the Hammond area teams are more involved with the youth Region Wrestling program?  It seems like this program is turning out some great wrestlers year after year and is within driving range from Hammond

Money

2 hours ago, XCard said:

There were 4 originally seeded at 195, I think one was scratched at weigh-ins and the other was DQd for Flagrant, that is why he was removed and all his points taken away.

I can see this Sectional being mixed up in the future. There are rumors of the School City of Hammond downsizing to only 2 High Schools instead of the current 4. Bishop Noll was supposed to be JV only this year, with the low participation numbers, I am not too sure how much longer they will remain a program.  Jamal Lawrence is coaching at West Side, so it will be exciting to see if he can revive the program. I know I have already seen him around the youth tournaments.  Removing Lake Central from this Sectional really hurt the depth as they would always bring a full team.  This Sectional has never been one of the stronger ones, but it always has produced some solid individuals and most teams would bring close to full line-ups.  This was the first time that I can remember that we did not have at least one weight class with a first round match. Lowest number of participants I have seen in my time with this Sectional, hopefully in the next couple years we can get the participation up to what it once used to be.

Excellent insight on the situation. I would like to see Highland, Griffith, and Calumet in this grouping if  the Hammond 5 turns into the Hammond 2.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.