Brackets from the Past

SWINfan

Looking through the rankings and then some old State brackets and as I always do, found a strong past bracket I thought was worth mentioning.  Titled it this way in case anyone else wants to add other brackets.  

2016 - 106
Strong bracket with 14 of the 16 wrestlers qualifying for State at least one other time.  This group at this point has amassed 27 total State Placements and 6 State Titles, led by.....

Asa Garcia - 2 Titles
Brayden Curtis - 2 Titles
Hunter Watts - 1 Title
Jacob Moran - 1 Title
Ty Mills - 4x State Placer 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd

7 wrestlers will begin competing Saturday for one last chance to make it to Banker's Life and onto the podium.  They are:
Asa Garcia - #1 at 132
Jacob Moran - #1 at 113
Hunter Watts and Brayden Curtis - the top 2 challengers to Super Frosh Jesse Mendez at 126
Sammy Fair 
Lukasz Walendzak
Devon Casebolt

These 106-lb brackets over the past 15 years often look unbelievable looking back. You've got a mostly freshmen weight, so those kids can start building accolades earlier than some other freshmen wrestling stronger kids. You're automatically isolating wrestling-focused kids who will have long-term success because you have to have put in the time in middle school and younger to compete at that level as a 9th grader. Finally, you're at a weight where most kids will also be wrestling-focused (and therefore probably highly skilled with great potential to keep winning) because they tend not to be big enough to achieve the same level of success at other sports. 

This weight really should be dubbed the "future stars" division because it's always chalk full of future champs and multiple-time placers.

2 hours ago, Kyle Ayersman said:

That’s a tough bracket. I remember my freshman year (2009 103) had 9 state titles, so this group has a chance to beat it! If anyone wants to do the math on the placers I’d be real interested in seeing how many placements the 2009 group had.

I would, but not sure how to find all the info.  Its a lot easier when you can look it up on Track and click on a wrestler and get his profile and quickly see prior and future years.  But I can do a quck list of the guys here:

Kyle Ayersman - Lake Central
Shannon Garretsor - Peru
Mason Todd - Pendleton Heights
Bryan Kuhn - Evansville Reitz
Travis Bryant - Muncie Central
Cameron Halstead - Crown Point
Dusty Keif - Franklin Community
Jared McKinley - Perry Meridian
Cody Phillips - Union County
Dylan Hall - Evansville Harrison
Aurleio Medina - Munster
Todd Batt - South Adams
Jacob Boomsma - Bloomington South
Brian Harvey - Indianapolis Cathedral
Abraham Que - Elkhart Central
Zach Stevens - Merrilville

This is close to the time I started following wrestling in IN closely again, so I don't know some of these names.  My initial thought is this group matches the 2016 group at the top, but the 2016 group is deeper.

I love when this discussion gets going! I say it ever year when this discussion gets brought up.: the 106 lb weight classes from 2011-2012 & 2012-2013 has produced a wide array of state champions and a few guys who even have had quite a bit of success in college. Look back through those names from those two years and you guys will see what I mean. 

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys sports/wrestling/2011-12/1112StateResults.pdf

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys sports/wrestling/2012-13/201213FinalBrackets.pdf

Edited by ILUV2PIN

26 minutes ago, ILUV2PIN said:

I love when this discussion gets going! I say it ever year when this discussion gets brought up.: the 106 lb weight classes from 2011-2012 & 2012-2013 has produced a wide array of state champions and a few guys who even have had quite a bit of success in college. Look back through those names from those two years and you guys will see what I mean. 

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys sports/wrestling/2011-12/1112StateResults.pdf

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/boys sports/wrestling/2012-13/201213FinalBrackets.pdf

I'm a big fan of 2012....

Stevan Micic
Nathan Boston
Hayden Lee
Tommy Cash
DJ Smith
Kayla Miracle
Zach Davis
Connor Knapp
Jacob Brown
Jacob Cottey
Sawyer Miller

etc....

I'm a big fan of 2012....

Stevan Micic- #1 NCAA 133
Nathan Boston- 149 National Qulifier
Hayden Lee- NCAA Qualifier, NAIA Champ
Tommy Cash
DJ Smith
Kayla Miracle- 4x NWCA Champ, Multiple JR. SR level wins
Zach Davis- 1x NCAA Qulifier
Connor Knapp
Jacob Brown
Jacob Cottey
Sawyer Miller- NAIA Multiple placements

Sorry if I screwed up anywhere

As Maligned said, these are more examples of what the wrestlers did AFTER the year they were in this bracket.  What is the most accomplished bracket coming into the state tournament?

For Example 126 last year:

Garcia - 1x champ, 1x 3rd place

Rooks - 1x champ

Viduya - 1x champ

Mills - 2x 2nd and 1x 3rd

Mejia - 1x 2nd, 1x 5th

Poynter - 1x 4th

Demien - 1x 7

Smiley - 1x 8

3 Crowns and 9 medals going in....  I am sure there are other examples from past years.

13 hours ago, ILUV2PIN said:

I agree with the 2011-2012 group as well as with 2008-2009 group. 

2011-2012

Nathan Boston, Stevan Micic, Tommy Cash, Sawyer Miller, Damon Kuhn, Conner Knapp, DJ Smith, Hayden Lee, Zach Davis, Jacob Brown, Mike Garza, and Jacob Cottey collectively have 27 medals in IN, 30 if you count Boston and Lee’s moves to Ohio and Kentucky, 7 IN state titles, 10 counting Boston and Lee out of state. Then add in their college accolades mentioned above and Kayla Miracle’s obvious resume. Very impressive group! 

2008-2009 

Kyle Ayersman, Bryan Kuhn, Mason Todd, Jared McKinley, Cody Phillips, Dylan Hall, Brian Harvey, Jacob Boomsma, Zach Stevens, Dusty Kief, Aurlieo Medina, Cameron Halsted, Todd Batt, and Abraham Que collectively had 28 medals in IN, 9 State titles in IN. Very impressive as well! 

Im sure these are some of the higher medal counts, but not sure if they are the highest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.