2019-2020 Team State

WadeDuPont

Yes, in 2A and 3A, you get injury points for guys who made it to semi-state or better last year. From the beginning, there has been a desire for qualification to be a competition, not a computer rating. So the scoring does allow for the biggest issues with missing people, but there are sadly plenty of instances where bad luck can definitely play a role.

With that said, even if we took your kid's regional points from last year, injury points aren't just added directly in on top of 14 guys that you had score already. We imagine that he would "replace" a lesser person from your team. So we take 75% of the average score your 14 sectional starters scored and replace that total with whatever the injured kid earned last year. (Example: You score 168. Average is 12. 75% of average is 9. That 9 is replaced with the injured kid's total from last year.) A fairly strong team like yours would only be getting a few points added if regional qualifiers from last year were included. Hope this clarifies.

4 hours ago, maligned said:

Yes, in 2A and 3A, you get injury points for guys who made it to semi-state or better last year. From the beginning, there has been a desire for qualification to be a competition, not a computer rating. So the scoring does allow for the biggest issues with missing people, but there are sadly plenty of instances where bad luck can definitely play a role.

With that said, even if we took your kid's regional points from last year, injury points aren't just added directly in on top of 14 guys that you had score already. We imagine that he would "replace" a lesser person from your team. So we take 75% of the average score your 14 sectional starters scored and replace that total with whatever the injured kid earned last year. (Example: You score 168. Average is 12. 75% of average is 9. That 9 is replaced with the injured kid's total from last year.) A fairly strong team like yours would only be getting a few points added if regional qualifiers from last year were included. Hope this clarifies.

I think I understand.  Here's the exact situation:  Our back up 145 is an underclassmen who took 6th=4 points.  Our NORMAL kid was a regional qualifier, who would've likely made Semi State this year...however I just gave him credit for Regional which is 12...so +8 right?

Our backup 160 didn't place so he receives 2 points.  Our normal 160 was a placer last year, but would've likely went to regional this year as the runner up at our sectional was a kid he has split matches with.   So, by my estimation he scores a minimum of 12.  So+10 right?

That's how I came up with a minimum of +18.  I know there's nothing you can do.  It just stinks.  

By your math, I think that puts us at +12.

Edited by nkraus

4 hours ago, nkraus said:

I think I understand.  Here's the exact situation:  Our back up 145 is an underclassmen who took 6th=4 points.  Our NORMAL kid was a regional qualifier, who would've likely made Semi State this year...however I just gave him credit for Regional which is 12...so +8 right?

Our backup 160 didn't place so he receives 2 points.  Our normal 160 was a placer last year, but would've likely went to regional this year as the runner up at our sectional was a kid he has split matches with.   So, by my estimation he scores a minimum of 12.  So+10 right?

That's how I came up with a minimum of +18.  I know there's nothing you can do.  It just stinks.  

By your math, I think that puts us at +12.

Except we don't try to figure out where substitutions took place. We estimate a JV or "replacement" level guy to be 75% of your average without him and substitute in the semi-state or higher points from last year for that "replacement" level total. 

Team total earned in the tournament (not considering full lineup bonus points) DIVIDED BY 14 weight classes TIMES 75 percent EQUALS replacement value

Injured wrestler's points last year MINUS replacement value EQUALS points added to your score

Example with a team that earned 168 and had a kid get to semi-state (16 points in 2A) last year:

168 / 14 X 0.75 = 9 (replacement value)

16 - 9 = 7 points added to the team's score

We have to do it in a general way like this, rather than direct substitution, because many injuries that are added in were season-long injuries where a kid's weight class isn't really known for sure or a late-season injury caused significant lineup jostling and sectional lineups look much different from the regular season. This standardizes it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.