Sectional Brackets

eagledad

7 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

No surprise but Fitts is also out and Sollars is in. Fitts was a SS qualifier last year 

Yes, but that has been the case all year.  Fitts has been with the JV all year.  Lost a wrestle-off I hear.  And not beating Dickens at 152 or Lee at 145 so not much room.  Sad for him, all three should be back next year, along with Parkinson so not sure how that will go.  But that's next year and there is time for the weights to shift as kids grow.

45 minutes ago, Darrick Snyder said:

Ison of Brownsburg beat Reynolds of Avon. Reynolds beat burdon.  Dalton of Ben Davis beat Ison. That’s why 145 is the way it is. 

Lawhead ranked 8th in State, seeded #6 at Sectional and faces a tough kid in Landon Boe in the quarters.

Once again, the brackets for sectionals with 9+ teams are not uniformly drawn, and kids that should get a chance at moving onto regionals will be out after 1 round.

I know the IHSAA only cares about determining a winner but every year I am frustrated to see kids not getting a second chance to wrestle back while others do

So far 15 out of 32 Sectionals are available, with 17 still not released to public.

Check that, looks as if they have all gone dark?  Avon, Castle, Elwood and Evansville Central are all now "not being released to the public yet".    Didn't check them all.

Edited by SWINfan

3 minutes ago, base said:

Once again, the brackets for sectionals with 9+ teams are not uniformly drawn, and kids that should get a chance at moving onto regionals will be out after 1 round.

I know the IHSAA only cares about determining a winner but every year I am frustrated to see kids not getting a second chance to wrestle back while others do

This is something that needs to be proposed by the IHSWCA

2 minutes ago, base said:

Did all brackets just get locked?

Yep, I just posted (edited) 2 posts back.  Just happened.  All seem to show Friday 1/25 at 9:00 am under the Release to the Public slot in the Deadlines on TW

Edited by SWINfan

3 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

This is something that needs to be proposed by the IHSWCA

I’m not a coach just a fan, so not much I can do other than point it out each year.

i think it would be fair in those sectionals with 10-11 teams to seed the top 5 or 6 then place the remainder of lower seeds in pigtail matches against each other

I guess if the lockout lasts longer than a day or two we needs to start asking their AD and local newspaper call/email the IHSAA and inquire why they can’t access the information needed to properly promote the event. 

Edited by MattM

Anybody see any big moves up or down in weight class before they was ripped? 

Down here in TheCounty south corporate head quarters in sunny Florida and missed out on the previews.  

TheCounty TMZ is working on getting the important info. The Notirious one Is working hard to figure this one out. 

Btw... love to Ross getting to wrestle. Kid is a class act! 

8 hours ago, base said:

He said wrestle backs! We talking about it yet or are we going to wait for the screw jobs to happen at semi state?

9 hours ago, base said:

I’m not a coach just a fan, so not much I can do other than point it out each year.

i think it would be fair in those sectionals with 10-11 teams to seed the top 5 or 6 then place the remainder of lower seeds in pigtail matches against each other

The Top 6 are seeded at Sectionals.  Then the next two available wrestlers are drawn into what would essentially be the #7 and #8 seed.  The remaining wrestlers are distributed evenly to keep the bracket balanced and to assure that everyone has a chance to score in the first round.  Of course this was the pre non scoring first round days that this was put into place.  With the first round not being scored, there is some sense to placing the remaining unseeded wrestlers against each other in the pig tail matches.  The reasoning behind a full wrestle back though I would imagine would be the risk of someone having more than 6 matches in one day.  This is not perfect system in place now, but I do believe it works in the vast majority of Sectionals.  If the brackets were not balanced, then there may have been an error in how they were drawn and should be corrected before Saturday.

37 minutes ago, jason said:

Im going to go out on a limb and say the local newspapers will receive the seeds ect...so they can do their writups on wrestlers...ect

If the coaches give this info to the local media, that might happen.   But that's a local case by case thing.

1 hour ago, XCard said:

The Top 6 are seeded at Sectionals.  Then the next two available wrestlers are drawn into what would essentially be the #7 and #8 seed.  The remaining wrestlers are distributed evenly to keep the bracket balanced and to assure that everyone has a chance to score in the first round.  Of course this was the pre non scoring first round days that this was put into place.  With the first round not being scored, there is some sense to placing the remaining unseeded wrestlers against each other in the pig tail matches.  The reasoning behind a full wrestle back though I would imagine would be the risk of someone having more than 6 matches in one day.  This is not perfect system in place now, but I do believe it works in the vast majority of Sectionals.  If the brackets were not balanced, then there may have been an error in how they were drawn and should be corrected before Saturday.

The situation that is unfortunate is where there are 2 wrestlers with winning records who face each other in round 1.  One of them will not get an opportunity to place in the top 4.  Meanwhile, in the same bracket, due to luck of the draw, there is a wrestler with a very poor record (say 3-13) that has drawn a bye in the first round, and will move to the consolation brackets after a likely 2nd round loss to one of the top seeds

46 minutes ago, jason said:

Im going to go out on a limb and say the local newspapers will receive the seeds ect...so they can do their writups on wrestlers...ect

How would they get them? I'm curious how you know so much about this? The only brackets coaches have are the ones they created at the meeting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.