County Stats

MackG

Does the fact that I find the numbers by county interesting make me a nerd 🤓 or extremely cool 😎.

Below is a list of the top 10 counties by State Placers over the last 10 years (according to MackG) & each county's corresponding population rank (2017 #'s).

1) Marion - 1st in population

2) Lake - 2nd in population

3) St Joe - 5th in population

4) Hendricks - 10th in population

5) Delaware - 14th in population

6) Vanderburgh - 8th in population

7) Elkhart - 6th in population

8)Hamilton - 4th in population

9) Johnson - 11th in population

10) Porter - 9th in population

There are some counties out performing their population numbers, most dramatically Delaware & Hendricks.

And there are also a couple of the more populated counties that are absent from the top 10 state placers list with Allen (3rd in population & 11th in state placers) & Tippecanoe (7th in population & tied for 34th in state placers).

I believe what all this tells us is that overall population does play a pretty big factor in the success rate. But also that there is another important factor at play - the presence of a strong feeder program. Delaware (with Yorktown & Delta) and Hendricks (with Avon & Brownsburg) are shining examples of this.

Edited by SIACfan

What is particularly interesting is Hendricks county's marked improvement over the last 4 years.

-only 18 state placers in 6 years from 2009-2014

-then 44 state placers in 4 years from 2015-2018

I'm only speculating, but what I suspect is that a feeder system was established/improved upon somewhere around 5-10 years ago. Can someone from '#TheCounty' elaborate?

41 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

What is particularly interesting is Hendricks county's marked improvement over the last 4 years.

I'm only speculating, but what I suspect is that a feeder system was established/improved upon somewhere around 5-10 years ago. Can someone from '#TheCounty' elaborate?

2006- Contenders Wrestling Academy  

Red Cobra made its home in Avon I’d say in 2015-

CIA had something going at Ben Davis & Danville HS 2014

you got these Academies . 

Back in 2015 when I said on here 

(“It’s Coming”) #TheCounty 

The Well isn’t dry either, your going to see these results coming for a long .... long time and only getting better. 

Chris Garcia 

Edited by TeamGarcia
Added last paragraph, and my signature to know I’m serious.

48 minutes ago, SIACfan said:

The biggest thing is to get rid of the stigma that wrestling is a 2nd tier sport or "not cool". Wrestling is the thing to do on the westside of Indy. Most kids wrestle year round. Our academies are awesome. Our newspaper does a real good job covering our sport. Almost every day since mid October, our local paper has written about wrestling. And Garcia is right.... go to any club or academy on any night. They are packed. Bottom line... we got soooo many kids wrestling and wrestling hard. 

1 hour ago, graham said:

This is a good point. ^^^ My son has said to me that wrestling isn’t cool at his school. 

Our team went to the basketball game to get recognized. It was senior night for the basketball team. They did the senior stuff before the game. It was a very nice ceremony and the basketball players got some love. The wrestlers came out at half time and the crowd went nuts. Gotta change the culture! 

Being a tough in shape stud is COOL. Just got to make them understand. 

#GrowTheSport

Make dual meets cooler.  We aren’t wrestling in Ancient Greece or Rome.  Use a DJ or play music, dim the lights or use spotlights, glow sticks, wrestlers come out of tunnel or down bleachers, throw shirts out - something!  My first year here when I was an assistant we had 25 people in the stands for senior night.  A lot different now.  Last night our high school hosted our middle schools wrestling each other.  A lot of fans were there.  We made it an exciting atmosphere.  The Head Basketball Coach at Brownsburg is Steve Lynch.  He pulled me to the side and said, “Dude you gotta be doing something right to get so many people here at a middle school meet.  How do you do it?”  Make it more interesting!

Snyder 

6 hours ago, SWINfan said:

No hancock and two johnsons....      

There HAS to be a dirty joke in there somewhere!

My 2 cents on Johnson County, on this day Feb. 23, 2019 . 5:30am TeamGarcia said In 2022 Center Grove HS will become a Power House in HS Wrestling from Top to Bottom. I’m not even affiliated with that school system, live there and I can see it. Watch out Indiana ! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.