State champion locks ...because the tournament is drawing near

grappleapple

We're getting close to the best time of the year - the wrestling state tournament. Who are your picks for state champion locks?

I don't want to put any undo pressure on these kids, but it is fun to discuss.

I'm putting my locks as Cottey at 106, Moran at 113, Littell at 120 and Allred at 195.

1 minute ago, Champ725 said:

Bettich vs Littell was SV last time and wouldn’t consider that a lock imo. I agree about 113 and 195 but think Diaz could challenge Cottey at 106 with his only loss being 3-1 to Bettich at 120 

Good info. I didn't know that about the match. I just saw the final score - which was still close.

Not sure anybody is a 100% guaranteed lock this year.  Maybe Alred and South?  Seems just about all the top ranked kids have had some close matches.  Not sure there is anybody I would feel comfortable laying a large amount of money on at this point.

1 hour ago, MD92 said:

Not sure anybody is a 100% guaranteed lock this year.  Maybe Alred and South?  Seems just about all the top ranked kids have had some close matches.  Not sure there is anybody I would feel comfortable laying a large amount of money on at this point.

I'd probably add Garcia to that list.  I know he has lost to Viduya before and had a close 3-1 match earlier this year, but I just don't see him losing under the lights.  Would consider it a major upset if he doesn't win.  

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

I'd probably add Garcia to that list.  I know he has lost to Viduya before and had a close 3-1 match earlier this year, but I just don't see him losing under the lights.  Would consider it a major upset if he doesn't win.  

Not sure why everyone is counting out 2x State Champ Brayden Curtis. Kid hasn’t had a loss in HS Season match in like 2.5 years . Like Asa hasn’t lost under the lights . Am I missing something here ? 

3 hours ago, MD92 said:

Allred is about as close as it gets and I also like Cotty. Relative to Moran, Seltzer isn't going down easy at 113.

5 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Not sure why everyone is counting out 2x State Champ Brayden Curtis. Kid hasn’t had a loss in HS Season match in like 2.5 years . Like Asa hasn’t lost under the lights . Am I missing something here ? 

I certainly would not count him out, but a lock...in that class?

45 minutes ago, TeamGarcia said:

Can't consider Curtis a lock because of Jesse Mendez and returning Champ Hunter Watts.  But he is certainly in the mix as one of the favorites.  113 to 126 is a pretty big jump.

Edited by SWINfan
Correcting original post which was all mixed up with nonesense!

33 minutes ago, Champ725 said:

Curtis has jumped from 113 to 126.....similar to what Colton Cummings did a couple yrs ago as he was a two timer who jumped two classes his senior yr and never got his 3rd Championship 

Cummings also only wrestled half the season after having ACL surgery during the summer. 

3 hours ago, Champ725 said:

Curtis has jumped from 113 to 126.....similar to what Colton Cummings did a couple yrs ago as he was a two timer who jumped two classes his senior yr and never got his 3rd Championship 

Cody Phillips from Union County had a situation similar to this as well. 103 champ 103 champ 113 3rd 126 4th at S.S. But I believe someone wrestled in his spot at state. Unsure of the reason. Great wrestler all together. 

I do agree, I think that jump up from 113 - 126 is an undertaking. Or any jump 2 weight classes really in my mind can impact the effectiveness of different styles of wrestling. Very interested to see how everything plays out at 126. 

I’d say Curtis losing to Wilkerson at the IHPO is a big reason for him not being considered a lock. Like others have pointed out, 113-to-126 can be a tough jump.

Allred is the only one that I can’t see possibly see losing his weight.

9 hours ago, IWFTKWC11 said:

Cody Phillips from Union County had a situation similar to this as well. 103 champ 103 champ 113 3rd 126 4th at S.S. But I believe someone wrestled in his spot at state. Unsure of the reason. Great wrestler all together. 

I do agree, I think that jump up from 113 - 126 is an undertaking. Or any jump 2 weight classes really in my mind can impact the effectiveness of different styles of wrestling. Very interested to see how everything plays out at 126. 

Cody had hurt his shoulder and defaulted to fourth at semi-state and the coaches and him discussed wrestling at state and chose not to compete with his future, at the time, being in Minnesota.

1 minute ago, HeadLockChamp9 said:

Mendez is a lock. Next 4x champ. 

#2 Watts (Senior) - 1x State Champ, 1x Runner-up, 1x 6th place

#3 Curtis (Senior) - 2x State Champ, 1x 7th place

#4 Rioux (Junior)  - 1x 3rd place, 1x 6th place

#5 Peele (Senior) - 1x 7th place, 1x 4th place

#6 Walendzak (Senior) - 1x 4th place, 1x Qualifier

#7 Wagner (Sophomore) - 1x 8th place

He MAY be the favorite, but to consider him a "lock" is egregious in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

#2 Watts (Senior) - 1x State Champ, 1x Runner-up, 1x 6th place

#3 Curtis (Senior) - 2x State Champ, 1x 7th place

#4 Rioux (Junior)  - 1x 3rd place, 1x 6th place

#5 Peele (Senior) - 1x 7th place, 1x 4th place

#6 Walendzak (Senior) - 1x 4th place, 1x Qualifier

#7 Wagner (Sophomore) - 1x 8th place

He MAY be the favorite, but to consider him a "lock" is egregious in my opinion.

Looks like last years 126 

40 minutes ago, HeadLockChamp9 said:

Mendez is a lock. Next 4x champ. 

Gotta win one before you can put that tag on it . 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.