Hoosiers in College - Results/Updates - 2nd Half 2018-19

Buffalo's #15 ranked Bryan Lantry will not wrestle today so Nick Lee will get a forfeit. Supposed knee injury, but will wrestle in the post-season.  Was good enough to wrestle and win Friday night against Northern Illinois.  Maybe it just seems like it, but I've seen more MFF's, guys sitting out matches selectively, etc. this year than I can recall.  

Ugh

Edited by SWINfan

Kyle Todrank transferred this offseason from Purdue to Buffalo.  Todrank had wrestled most of his season at 141 and moved to 149 for the Edinboro Open after the Midlands.  Today, as Buffalo chose to send some of their starters to the Mat Town II Open, Kyle got the lucky opportunity to bump up to 157 and face Jason Nolf.  Kyle battled him hard.  Losing 15-5 at the end of the 2nd period, Todrank after an escape kind of stuck out his leg as if to taunt Nolf with 2 seconds left.  Nolf started the 3rd on top and Kyle slipped out of a cradle attempt and got a reversal, then immediately cut Nolf and did a little shimmy/dance.  Nolf proceeded to take him down, lock up a cradle and get the fall about 20 seconds later.  

It was kind of weird as Todrank knew he couldn't beat him, but an odd way to have fun on the road against Jason Nolf on Senior Day.  After the match, when they shook hands Kyle said something to Jason and smiled.  I think it was a weird way of showing respect and I am not sure how Nolf took it as he's always pretty serious on the mat.  But it was funny how quickly Nolf put him away after the little dance.

On that note: Perhaps if fired up Penn St. (or maybe it would have happened anyway), but after the break, the Nittany Lions got quick first period falls from Vincenzo Joseph, Mark Hall, Shakur Rasheed and Bo Nickal.  Might be the quickest half of a meet I've ever seen.

In other action on Sunday 2/24....

Mason Parris won by fall in a dual meet against Clarion.....  Stevan Micic did not wrestle.  Michigan won 37-6

IU beat UT Chattanooga 32-0
@133 Paul Konrath won by 3-2 dec
@141 Kyle Luigs won by 12-8 dec. after being down 8-4 going into the 3rd period
@174 Jake Covaciu won 8-3
@197 Jake Kleimola won 4-0 
@285 Fletcher Miller won a 6-3 dec over Connor Tolley

Central Michigan beat Purdue 20-15
@125 Drew Hildebrandt won by TF 16-1 over Marshall Craig
@174 Dylan Lydy won 7-3 over Collin Lieber
@285 Jacob Aven fell to Matt Stencel 4-1

Results from DII NCAA Regionals
From Regional IV

@149 Isaiah Kemper (McKendree) took 1st Place
@165 Kyle Jolas (Lindenwood) finished in 2nd Place

From Regional III
@125 Blake Glogouski (Lake Erie) finished in 5th Place
@125 DJ Smith (U Indy) finished 6th
@133 Forrest Glogouski (Lake Erie) finished in 4th Place
@141 Angelo Robles (U Indy) finished 3rd
@174 Gleason Mappes (U Indy) finished 4th
@197 Brian Wagner (U Indy) finished in 3rd Place
@285 Dylan Faulkenberg (U Indy) finished 5th

49 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Flo has their B10 prediction seeds up.. It's paid content so I can't see. But judging from the facebook comments Lee is behind Carr. 

This is what they say:

"No one's going to be happy with this weight. Carr went undefeated, but didn't wrestle against Nick Lee and didn't get a chance to beat McKenna as the Buckeye missed the dual at Illinois. Following my argument at 165, plus the case I made in a prior 141 article, I'd like to see Lee get the one but I don't think that's how it will happen."

21 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Kyle Todrank transferred this offseason from Purdue to Buffalo.  Todrank had wrestled most of his season at 141 and moved to 149 for the Edinboro Open after the Midlands.  Today, as Buffalo chose to send some of their starters to the Mat Town II Open, Kyle got the lucky opportunity to bump up to 157 and face Jason Nolf.  Kyle battled him hard.  Losing 15-5 at the end of the 2nd period, Todrank after an escape kind of stuck out his leg as if to taunt Nolf with 2 seconds left.  Nolf started the 3rd on top and Kyle slipped out of a cradle attempt and got a reversal, then immediately cut Nolf and did a little shimmy/dance.  Nolf proceeded to take him down, lock up a cradle and get the fall about 20 seconds later.  

It was kind of weird as Todrank knew he couldn't beat him, but an odd way to have fun on the road against Jason Nolf on Senior Day.  After the match, when they shook hands Kyle said something to Jason and smiled.  I think it was a weird way of showing respect and I am not sure how Nolf took it as he's always pretty serious on the mat.  But it was funny how quickly Nolf put him away after the little dance.

On that note: Perhaps if fired up Penn St. (or maybe it would have happened anyway), but after the break, the Nittany Lions got quick first period falls from Vincenzo Joseph, Mark Hall, Shakur Rasheed and Bo Nickal.  Might be the quickest half of a meet I've ever seen.

Flo just posted the match replay so I went and watched. On the pro side, Todrank absolutely did not back down. He went after Nolf's leg repeatedly. Sure there were moments when he was on his bicycle, but on balance he was a wrestler not a track star. But then the leg and the shimmy happened. He was having some fun with it. But how much fun is it to wrestle an angry Nolf? Nolf went in HARD on the double from space right after the shimmy. His forehead catches Todrank pretty square and you see Todrank clutch his head as he goes down. Then the pretend cut from Nolf right into the cradle. Mr. Knee meet Mr. Head. Mr Head, Mr. Knee. Who is having fun now?

The hand clap from Nolf is the most emotion I can remember seeing from him after a dual meet, so I think it did wake the bear (lion?).

On 2/24/2019 at 2:13 PM, SWINfan said:

For your enjoyment

https://www.facebook.com/FloWrestling/videos/2428820700682157/

I put together a list of all former Hoosier HS'ers wrestling in college that I could find.  I welcome any help with any missing info (weights, records, etc).  It wasn't easy putting it together, especially the DIII and NAIA guys.  Please PM me if you know of anyone I missed or there is any incorrect info.  With weights, sometimes guys change mid-year, so I picked one.  I hope you enjoy going through it and if so, I'll try to keep it up and add to it next year.  

Note there are 4 tabs at the bottom, separating Di, DII, DIII & NAIA.  Within each tab they are listed by weight class.

Hoosiers Wrestling in College - All Divisions 

Feel free to discuss here.   I will start a new thread for specific discussions related to the post-season championships.  Note: records for NAIA Championship Qualifiers do not include any matches wrestled today.

Edited by SWINfan