Hoosiers in College - Results/Updates - 2nd Half 2018-19

Nick Lee gets a 19-7 major decision win over Austin Eicher of Michigan State tonight.  Haven't seen the match so the only other details I saw were he had almost 4 minutes of riding time.

At the intermission now.  Drew Hughes should face Mark Hall the 2nd match after the break.

In other Big Ten action tonight.....

Mason Parris outlasts Yousiff Hemida of Maryland 5-2.  Hemida really pushed the pace late as Parris seemed to tire.  Parris couldn't finish several shots early and once he got a 3-1 lead, he did nothing but retreat.  Got one stall point against him and could have had another.  Late, Hemida out of desperation falls and Mason lands on top of him for the final takedown and 5-2 win.

Paul Konrath at IU was back in action tonight and didn't fare well against Iowa's Austin Desanto.  Desanto won by TF 18-3 in the first period, highlighted by two dump takedowns to back for 6 point moves each.

Hughes lost as stated above.  IU89 beat me to it.  :)

With Hughes on top to start the 3rd, Hall grabbed his leg and stood up.  Hughes just hung on with both feet in the air, doing nothing to take Hall back to the mat or give up the hold.  Got hit with two straight stall calls (already had a warning earlier) to go from down 10-1 to 12-1.  Restart same thing again...  just hangs on.  Gets hit with another stall call (2 pts this time) and doesn't do anything different.  A 4th stall call earns him a DQ rather than a TF for Hall.  Was just weird....

Edited by SWINfan

Ohio State dominated Purdue 34-3.  Dylan Lydy with the sole Boilermaker win, a 5-3 decision over Ethan Smith.  Jacob Aven fell 11-5 to Chase Singletary.  

At Iowa, Kyle Luigs won by fall over Max Murin for 6 of IU's 9 pts.  Fletcher Miller and Jake Kliemola lost by major decision and Jake Covaciu fell 3-1. The team score was 37-9 Iowa.

Big day in the Big Ten today with 12 of the 14 teams wrestling.  All times ET
- Noon brings Michigan at Rutgers and a top 10 match between Stevan Micic and Nick Suriano and another appearance from Mason Parris.  
- At 1:00 Purdue is at Michigan State which should bring us a  tough match between Dylan Lydy and Drew Hughes at 174 and Jacob Aven at 285
- 2:00 Indiana is at Minnesota, Nebraska at Ohio State and Penn St. at Illinois.
- Possible matches are: Chad Red - Joey McKenna, Nick Lee - Michael Carr & Kyle Luigs - Mitchell McKee.  McKee should be a good test for Luigs with Kyle coming off a win by fall over Iowa's Max Murin.
- IU's lineup will likely feature Paul Konrath/Garrett Pepple at 133, Kyle Luigs at 141, Jake Covaciu at 174, Jake Kleimola at 197 and Fletcher Miller/Brandon Streck at 285.

Edited by SWINfan

#1 Stevan Micic starts off the day with a 3-2 win over #4 Nick Suriano.  Suriano actually looked better today, getting off more shots, better shots and stayed aggressive throughout.  Stevan's defense when Suriano got to his legs was unbelievable however and he fended off those shots.  Micic really only took one legit shot and was able to finish the single leg pretty quickly and keep Suriano from getting it to a scramble.  

Nice win for #1 Micic!

A quick update on Army as they faced Bucknell and Lehigh the past week.

@165 Cael McCormick won decisions in both matches.  McCormick is 15-6 on the year.
@174 Ben Harvey picked up a decision win against Bucknell but dropped a major decision to #5 Jordan Kutler of Lehigh.  Harvey is 23-7 on the year.

Also on the Army roster is:
@125 Colton Cummings is 3-4 on the year, wrestling in two open tournaments
@165 Brad Laughlin is 18-10 in his redshirt season

I did not see Christian Hunt on the Black Knights roster.

Edited by SWINfan

Mason Parris gets a boring 4-3 win over Christian Collucci with a riding time point being the difference.  Parris got one take down.  The other points for both wrestlers were escapes and a hand to the face by Mason.  Not much action on offense from either.  Alas, it is a win and Mason moves to 25-5 on the year.

@174 Purdue's Dylan Lydy wins over Michigan State's Drew Hughes 4-2 SV-1.  Lydy got a takedown in regulation and in SV.  Hughes an escape and a riding time point is all he could muster.

Edited by SWINfan

Nick Lee with a 17-2 TF over Abdullah Assaf as Carr no shows avoiding a top 10 match up.

Chad Red loses 7-1 to Joey McKenna.  No offense at all for Red.  

The Paul Konrath - Ethan Lizak match was crazy.  Konrath got "Lizak'ed" on a quick takedown and Lizak's patented tilts.  10-0 after the first period.  Lizak gets choice and chooses up and proceeds to score 4 more on top to go up 14-0.  Konrath fights off more and the 2nd period ends 14-0.  Paul chooses neutral in the 3rd and proceeds to take Lizak down and let him up 5 times.  Add a stalling point for Konrath and a riding time point for Lizak and the final ends 19-11.  There would have likely been more but Lizak kept laying flat and grabbing Konrath's leg so Paul couldn't let him up.  He could have gotten hit for stalling a few more times.

Edited by SWINfan

Kyle Luigs drops an 8-5 decision to Mitch McKee.  Luigs was impressive from bottom (2 reversals) and top more than 2 minutes riding time.  But McKee won it on his feet.  Luigs rode him the entire 3rd period trying to crank him over for back points and couldn't get it done.  When the buzzer sounded, McKee got up holding his shoulder.  Seeing definite improvement from Kyle.

What’s going on with these top level wrestlers being no shows this year against another highly ranked wrestler? I think it gives a black eye to the sport. 

Kudos to Luigs on the improvement  I’ve always been a fan of his. Great young man with a sense of humor.

Edited by 1prouddad

16 hours ago, 1prouddad said:

What’s going on with these top level wrestlers being no shows this year against another highly ranked wrestler? I think it gives a black eye to the sport. 

Kudos to Luigs on the improvement  I’ve always been a fan of his. Great young man with a sense of humor.

Amen. Nomad on Flowrestling has a solution. When doing conference seeding (which impacts NCAA qualification odds) the wrestler who does not appear is treated like it was a lose regardless of the reason for no show. On that basis he would have Vincenzo Joseph seeded third at B1G even though he is undefeated because he did not wrestle against Wick (I think it was Wick). 

The PSU board was up in arms over the idea, but now that it would help Lee at Carr's expense I imagine they will see the light.

Connor Tolley and Chattanooga visit IU Sunday afternoon.  This is the final weekend of the regular season and all Big Ten duals are complete, so schools are stepping back away from the conference.  Iowa faces Oklahoma St., Penn St hosts Buffalo, Ohio State is at Cornell (McKenna vs. Yianni?) Purdue visits Central Michigan etc.  

After this weekend, I'll do my best to post records from all former Indiana High School wrestlers for the season in Division I and DII.  May need some help on DIII and NAIA guys.  Then I'll start a new thread for the post season.  May separate the conference tournaments and NCAA discussion and start another for the NCAA Tourney itself.  Not sure yet.  

I appreciate those that have participated, commented and added results on these threads.  I hope more join as we near the post-season.  Please pass the word along for anyone wanting to keep up with former Hoosier wrestlers.

Come on over to Wilkinson Hall Sunday a 2pm match with U-T Chattanooga ,their final dual of the year,  in beautiful Bloomington Indiana.  And send the Hoosiers off to the big conference championship in Minnesota. This new venue gets real rowdy every match. 

2 hours ago, Disco said:

Come on over to Wilkinson Hall Sunday a 2pm match with U-T Chattanooga ,their final dual of the year,  in beautiful Bloomington Indiana.  And send the Hoosiers off to the big conference championship in Minnesota. This new venue gets real rowdy every match. 

I'm glad IU is putting an effort into wrestling and the new facility looks nice.  But call me a skeptic, I'll believe there is a revival when I see them finish in the top half of the Big Ten two years in a row.

Edited by SWINfan

Central Michigan @ Michigan State tonight.....

@125 Drew Hildebrandt gets a big takedown in sudden victory to take a 7-5 decision from #7 RayVon Foley.  

@174 Drew Hughes gets the fall over Collin Lieber

In non-Indiana related action, Ohio State visited Cornell this evening.  The feature match at 141 provided a Yianni Diakomihalis 7-5 win over Joey McKenna.  Luke Pletcher also fell 2-1 TB-1 to Charles Tucker.  OSU won the dual 25-9.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:00 PM, SWINfan said:

I'm glad IU is putting an effort into wrestling and the new facility looks nice.  But call me a skeptic, I'll believe there is a revival when I see them finish in the top half of the Big Ten two years in a row.

Swinfan, it’s not to late, to make plans to see the transformation in person. 2pm this Sunday in rowdy Wilkinson Hall. It is real. I will treat if you give me a heads up. 

1 hour ago, Disco said:

Swinfan, it’s not to late to make plans to see the transformation in person. 2pm this Sunday in rowdy Wilkinson Hall. It is real. I will trea.  t if you give me a heads up. 

I appreciate the offer and would love to take you up on it, but......    I live 7-8 hours away so that would be a long Sunday drive! 

That said I'm skeptical because of history and a new building itself won't change that.  Obviously, Angel has the pedigree on the mat to offer the credibility to being in better recruits.  But there are still things working against them....

1. Angel hasn't run a program before so it is unknown to what level he can take it.  Running a program is different than being a great wrestler.  He may be the next great coach, but right now, that's still a question mark. 

2. They'll have to do better than get 6 or 7 top kids from Indiana to compete with Penn St., Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Minnesota etc.  There is a history of the top kids they kid, many don't work out for whatever reason - not good enough, don't last 4 years, transfer, etc - you pick. 

3. It's Indiana - I liken hope for IU Wrestling to be similar to IU Football.  I don't know how many times over the years my dad has said IU is getting better and is proud of their improvement, as if they are heading toward the top of the Big Ten.  He hates it when I tell him they are average at best and actually point out their "improvements" compared to the rest of the conference.  I tell him give it a few years and they'll be starting over again.  And it happens that way.  Wash. Rinse, Repeat.  I just don't feel like they have what they need to get to the top 1/3 (or even half consistently) of the Big Ten.  The other schools have the advantage of RTC's for one thing.  They also have better recruiting bases.  They still aren't getting kids from Indiana ranked in the top 10 nationally.  The only kid in the Top 10 is Silas Allred and he's heading to Nebraska.  Matt Lee will likely be in the top 10 next year (15 or 16 of the top 20 are seniors).  Will he go to IU?  The group they have coming in is nice, but they'll need to do that and better EVERY year.  

I get that there is excitement and fan interest.  That's awesome and should make for a great atmosphere for the team.  Perhaps they can piggyback that into a major step up?  Maybe some of these guys will develop and be able to compete at the highest level (AA status or higher)?  I'd love to see it.  But still, as of today, the guys with the highest ceilings (at least by rankers) are still going elsewhere.  

22 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Central Michigan @ Michigan State tonight.....

@125 Drew Hildebrandt gets a big takedown in sudden victory to take a 7-5 decision from #7 RayVon Foley.  

That’s a really good win for Drew. Foley has looked good every time I’ve watched him this year.

Saturday Action

Chad Red picked up a fall today against Anthony Le of Stanford.  Le has wrestled mostly opens this year and has only wrestled in 3-4 duals.  

Blake Mulkey (Gardner-Webb) lost a major decision to Cameron Kelly (Ohio U) 20-6.

For Army, Ben Harvey won by 7-3 decision over Spencer Carey (Navy).  Cael McCormick lost a 4-0 decision to Tanner Skidgel (Navy).

Wabash at the NCAA DIII Central Regional

@133 Owen Doster picked up 3rd Place
@149 Griffin Schermer took 4th Place
@157 Jared Timberman finished 2nd
@165 Kyle Hatch finished in 1st Place
@174 Darden Schurg finished in 2nd Place.  He had 2 falls and a TF leading to the final and MFF'd to 2nd.  
@184 Ethan Herrin finished in 5th Place
@197 Levi Miller finished 8th
@285 Wade Ripple finished in 2nd Place

Others at the Central Regional

@125 Josh Stephenson (Manchester) DNP
@141 Caleb Maddox (Trine) finished 7th
@141 Jordan Napier (Manchester) finished in 2nd Place
@149 JaVon Phillips (Manchester) finished in 5th Place
@157 Joel Arney (Manchester) took 6th Place
@165 Tyler Leonhard (Manchester) DNP
@165 Owen Conklin (Trine) DNP
@174 Shane Stits (Manchester) finished in 8th Place
@285 Nick Joyner (Manchester) DNP

My apologies if I missed anyone.

I am not sure how these placements affect their moving on to the DIII NCAA Championship.  Hopefully, we can get some help on that info.

I was hoping to see this, but didn't pay close enough attention..... 

Joe Lee is wrestling today at 165 at the Mat Town II Open.  He is wrestling unattached with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club as he is not yet a member of PSU's team.  He won his first two matches by forfeit and won by fall over Ryan Ferro (Ohio State Unattached).  He's in the final and will face Ohio State's Kaleb Romero.  Romero was the starter for OSU until the past few weeks when Teshan Campbell dropped in weight and Ethan Smith moved into the lineup.

On a strange note, Ohio knows how to game the system.  Apparently, Teshan Campbell needs 4 matches today to get enough in to qualify for an NCAA at-large bid should he not get an automatic at the BTT.  Campbell won his first match as did Troy Keller of Buffalo.  Apparently it was known that Keller would MFF so OSU had Campbell MFF to Joe Lee so he could drop to the consolation bracket and get the # of wins/matches he needed.  Campbell has won his way through the consolations and will wrestle for 3rd Place.  Apparently this will give him enough matches to qualify.  

The Finals are supposed to be streamed live on You Tube at 2:00 Central Time.  Try this link if you want to watch...

Mat Town II Finals