Hoosiers in College - Results/Updates - 2nd Half 2018-19

23 hours ago, SWINfan said:

If the season ended today, I'd probably go Carr (undefeated in the Big Ten), Lee, McKenna and Moran as the top 4.  I'm not sure of the exact criteria used, but going on Big Ten only results, that makes the most sense to me.  If Moran had beaten Carr today, I'd have gone Moran, Carr/Lee, McKenna.  The match between Carr and Lee next Sunday will be big in determining how the final seeds are set.

My guess is Red will end up 6th or 7th

I already agreed with you in anearlier post on Lee likely being the 2 seed at Big Tens with Carr at 1, if the season ended today. But I think Red would be the 8 seed rather than 6 or 7.

With Carr, Lee, McKenna and Moran slotted 1-4 IMO we can look at the next batch of wrestlers. Among that group Red has lost to Storr and McKee. He beat Turk from Iowa, but that will be Murin's slot at Big Tens. Since all 3 of those guys have both fewer losses in the conference (2 or 3 to Red's 4) and fewer losses overall (3 or 4 to 9), I just can't see Red above 8. 

4 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

I would guess that Carr is rated higher than Lee today.

Take Flo for example (the official rankings of the B1G we are constantly reminded on BTN broadcasts), when Alber beat Eierman. Going in Alber was 10 and Eierman 3. After Alber was 6 and Eierman still 3. Or when Lee lost to Moran. Going in Lee was 4 and Moran was 16. After Lee was 6 and Moran was 13. 

My guess is Lee only moves up one spot to 5 with Alber slipping one spot to 6. Maybe Eierman swaps with McKenna at 2 and 3. But Carr will stay 4. No need to move Lee higher or Carr lower because that will be settled on the mat soon enough. (Editors note: Take Lee in that one).

You guessed wrong. Nick is ranked #2 today by Flo

37 minutes ago, IU89 said:

You guessed wrong. Nick is ranked #2 today by Flo

The only thing that makes sense about that is I never understood why he dropped to #7 after one SV loss.  So I guess the fact they don't make sense to me consistently means there is some sense about them?  Interpret that sentence logically, I dare you.  lol

3 minutes ago, BClark said:

Does Carr wrestle? Could avoid this match until the Big 10s and preserve his higher seed?

I think he does. He hasn't ducked anyone yet. He was on the mat for the OSU dual.  He has beat all comers in B1G so far. And he beat Lee last year at conference fairly well (10-6). So I just don't see him ducking anyone.

5 hours ago, Disco said:

Now I think it’s time for Micic to step up and wrestle Lee. I think this would be more entertaining than when Rivera stepped up to take on Micic. Who you got?

Michigan and Penn St. have already wrestled this season, so it ain't happening this year.

Just now, navy80 said:

Micic by the almost the same score they wrestled in high school and for the same reason. 

No way!  The match today would be a coin flip. I’d give Lee the edge because of the size difference. 

Just now, IU89 said:

No way!  The match today would be a coin flip. I’d give Lee the edge because of the size difference. 

I’d say the score would be closer due to the size difference but end result would be the same. 

9 minutes ago, navy80 said:

I’d say the score would be closer due to the size difference but end result would be the same. 

I am in agreement, Micic is too much for Lee to handle. 

Edited by Disco

14 minutes ago, navy80 said:

A couple of weeks ago I would have completely agreed, but after Nick's wins against Storr & McKenna I now am not so sure.

A Lee/Micic match would be great to see, but as MD92 pointed out - unfortunately it ain't happening this year.

My recollection of that match in high school was that Micic was a lot stronger than Lee and pretty much did whatever he wanted. But 5 years later I find it hard to believe that would be the case.

The strength difference between an 18 year old and a 15 year old of the same weight is much, much greater than the strength difference between a 23 year old and a 20 year old who outweighs him by 6%. As a matter of fact, it is likely the difference changes direction.

I got Lee in the match that will not be.

Edited by wrestlenewbie

When Lee was a HS freshman didn't he beat highly ranked Zach Davis 13-4 who later lost a decently close match to Micic in the state finals? Frosh vs Senior? 

All good points though.. Except foe McKenna beating Micic. 

QUESTION- If Micic bumped up I wouldn't expect him to weigh 133 the day of the match. Would he not weigh closer to 141? What did Seabass weigh when he bumped up to face Micic at 133?

14 hours ago, wrestlenewbie said:

My recollection of that match in high school was that Micic was a lot stronger than Lee and pretty much did whatever he wanted. But 5 years later I find it hard to believe that would be the case.

The strength difference between an 18 year old and a 15 year old of the same weight is much, much greater than the strength difference between a 23 year old and a 20 year old who outweighs him by 6%. As a matter of fact, it is likely the difference changes direction.

I got Lee in the match that will not be.

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. I remember Micic looking really young as a senior & even his early years in college (at Northwestern correct?). It has not been until the last couple of years that Micic has matured into the man physically that we see today. The way I remember it, it was Micic's quickness & technique that beat Lee back then (JMO). But just look at the match this weekend, there was a noticeable size difference but Micic actually looked quicker or just as quick anyway as Riviera.

I think Micic would at least give both McKenna & Lee a battle if not beat them.

With all this discussion about the size & strength difference between guys that weigh 125 to 133 to 141, I can't help but go to the idea that college wrestling needs another weight class between 197 & 285.

Yes we just witnessed Snyder win 3 national titles as an under-sized HWT, but he is the exception not the rule. 197 is too much of a cut for guys that naturally weigh in the 215-230 range. And having to compete with guys that weigh 255-285 is just unreasonable normally.

2 hours ago, SIACfan said:

With all this discussion about the size & strength difference between guys that weigh 125 to 133 to 141, I can't help but go to the idea that college wrestling needs another weight class between 197 & 285.

Yes we just witnessed Snyder win 3 national titles as an under-sized HWT, but he is the exception not the rule. 197 is too much of a cut for guys that naturally weigh in the 215-230 range. And having to compete with guys that weigh 255-285 is just unreasonable normally.

Makes total sense. And yet I kind of like it. I like the contrast. I like to see the battle between bulk and athleticism. Watching a Snyder or a Cassar out quick a bigger guy has some appeal to me. Also the bigger guys tend not to shoot very much (or at all sometimes). So seeing the "small" heavyweight trying some moves to score some points is a refreshing change of pace for me. But you have a good point.