Hoosiers in College - Results/Updates - 2nd Half 2018-19

A few Sunday updates....

Minnesota downed Purdue 24-11.  Dylan Lydy picked up a win in SV and Gable Steveson downed Jacob Aven 16-6.

Nathan Boston with a win by fall against The Citadel.

Chad Red won 4-1 over Vince Turk in Nebraska's 20-13 loss to Iowa.

Indiana Tech pounded Manchester 50-6.
@174 Shane Stits (Manchester) lost by TF
@184 Jacob Weimer (IN Tech) won by fall over DJ Bell
@285 Nick Joyner (Manchester) won by fall
@125 Sawyer Miller (IN Tech) by TF over Josh Stephenson
@141 Erique Early (IN Tech) wins by fall in an exhibition match
@149 Justin Atkinson (IN Tech) 6-2 over Joel Arney in an exibition match
@157 Mason Gaines (IN Tech) wins by fall

Indianapolis has several duals at the GLVC Duals.  They mixed up their lineup so lots of guys got matches.  
@125 DJ Smith went 1-2
@141 Matt McKinney went 3-0
@149 Trace Manspeaker went 1-1
@165 Blaze Lowery won his only match
@174 Gleason Mappes went 1-2
@197 Brian Wagner went 2-2
@285 Jack Williams went 0-2
@285 Dylan Faulkenberg went 3-0.

Mckendree was also at the GLVC Duals and Isaiah Kemper went 5-0 on the day

College ranked wrestlers from Indiana (Intermat)

Di
@133 Stevan Micic, Michigan #1
@141 Nick Lee, Penn State #7
@141 Chad Red, Nebraska #19
@174 Dylan Lydy, Purdue #14
@285 Mason Parris, Michigan #8

DII
@125 Blake Glogouski, Lake Erie #8
@149 Isaiah Kemper, McKendree #12
@165 Kyle Jolas, Lindenwood #7
@197 Brian Wagner, Indianapolis #12
@285 Dylan Faulkenberg, Indianapolis #3

DIII
@174 Darden Schurg, Wabash #1
@197 Kobe Woods, Wartburg #8

NAIA
@125 Sawyer Miller, IN Tech #2
@125 Hayen Lee, Cumberlands (KY) #3
@133 Erique Early, IN Tech #2
@133 Brandan James, Marian #9
@141 Gaige Torres, IN Tech #5
@149 Justin Atkinson, IN Tech #5
@149 Noah Warren, Marian #7
@157 Steven Lawrence, Grand View #7
@157 Mason Gaines, IN Tech #14
@165 Tristan Macri, Cumberlands (KY) #13
@174 Nathan Walton, Cumberland (TN) #7
@174 Jake Weimer, IN Tech #19
@184 Aaron Mosley, Campbellsville #15
@184 Sam Osho, Marian #17

@197 Zachary Worm, Marian #15
@285 Ethan Bunce, Marian #7

My apologies if I missed someone.  Please let me know if I did.

A few IN guys were at the Edinboro Open over the weekend.  Haven't gone through all brackets yet, but I did see we had a match up at 149 between Brayton Lee and Graham Rooks in the semifinals.  Brayton won this one 10-3 but lost to Sammy Sasso in the final 6-4.  Rooks finished 3rd.  

Jake Cavaciu finished 1st at 174

Andrew Davison finished 3rd dropping a semifinal match 11-3 to Michael Beard of Penn St (grayshirt unattached)

Edited by SWINfan

On 2/3/2019 at 7:53 AM, UncleJimmy said:

Updates on lots of IN wrestlers there.  Good stuff!  Thanks for helping keep us up-to-date

Keep going... you'll save me some time so I can focus on Semistate this weekend!  ha ha

I will add Jacob Aven won by decision and Dylan Lydy won by major.  Purdue tops Stanford 22-9.

IU lost to Rutgers 24-11.  Jacob Covaciu lost by decision in addition to the above mentioned results.  IU comes back tomorrow to face Stanford.

Drew Hughes picked up a win by fall against Northwestern tonight.  

Central Michigan's Drew Hildebrandt picked up a 6-0 win against Kyle Akins of Buffalo.

At Wartburg, Kris Rumph gets another win at 149.  Kobe Woods drops a decision at 197.

At Chattanooga, Connor Tolley split two matches this week.  He won tonight against The Citadel and lost earlier this week against Appalachian State.

Blake and Forrest Glogouski both picked up wins tonight for Lake Erie College.

Edited by SWINfan

IU beats Stanford this evening......

@133 Paul Konrath is back in the lineup, only to receive a FF
@141 Kyle Luigs  won a 7-2 decision over Brandon Kier
@174 Jake Covaciu with a 3-2 decision over Rico Stormer
@197 Jake Kleimola drops a 11-3 major decision to Nathan Traxler
@285 Fletcher Miller gets a 9-4 decision over David Showunmi

Mason Parris drops another decision to Northwestern's Conan Jennings.  Jennings built up well over 2 minutes of riding time.  Mason got to the single leg easily, but couldn't get enough lift to finish before Conan bore his weight down and created a stalemate most of the time.  Jennings is also pretty good in scrambles created in those situations.  Mason got an escape and takedown in the final minute and cut Jennings with :13 left and almost got another which would have tied the match but ran out of time.

Final Jennings 7 Parris 5

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

Mason Parris drops another decision to Northwestern's Conan Jennings.  Jennings built up well over 2 minutes of riding time.  Mason got to the single leg easily, but couldn't get enough lift to finish before Conan bore his weight down and created a stalemate most of the time.  Jennings is also pretty good in scrambles created in those situations.  Mason got an escape and takedown in the final minute and cut Jennings with :13 left and almost got another which would have tied the match but ran out of time.

Final Jennings 7 Parris 5

to go along with this Revera #1 at 125 steps up in weight class and takes on #1 @133 Micic, very cool .Micic won 10-4

Mason and the B10 @ HWT

Gable MN 25-0

Cassar PSU 17-1 (Lost 8-19)

Stoll IA 7-1

Parris UM 23-5

Hilger WI 17-4 (Won 9-6)

Hemida MD 8-2

Singletary OSU 16-4. (Lost 9-15 and Won 6-3)

Jensen NB 16-2

Jennings NW 13-8 (Lost 4-6 and 5-7)

Edited by navy80

Micic and the B10 @ 133: Looks like Micic will see the winner of Desanto and Suriano in the finals.

Micic UM 11-0

Desanto IA 14-1

Suriano RU 18-2

Fletcher OSU 18-2 (Won 14-1)

Lizak MN 20-4

Thornton PU 15-6 (Won 9-1)

RBY PSU 15-2

Duncan IL 11-8 (Won 18-8)

Lee/Red and the B10 @ 14. I'm interested to see if Lee will get the #1 seed with his loss to Moran. Will we see a rematch with Red/Lee? 

McKenna OSU 14-1 (Lee won 7-6)

Lee PSU 21-1

Red NB 17-8 (Lee won 5-4)

Carr IL 10-3 (Red lost 4-5 OT)

Storr UM 17-4 (Lee won 10-4)

McKee MN 13-3 (Red lost 2-9)

Moran WI 19-5 (Lee lost 10-12 OT)

Murin IA 11-4

1 hour ago, navy80 said:

Lee/Red and the B10 @ 14. I'm interested to see if Lee will get the #1 seed with his loss to Moran. Will we see a rematch with Red/Lee? 

McKenna OSU 14-1 (Lee won 7-6)

Lee PSU 21-1

Red NB 17-8 (Lee won 5-4)

Carr IL 10-3 (Red lost 4-5 OT)

Storr UM 17-4 (Lee won 10-4)

McKee MN 13-3 (Red lost 2-9)

Moran WI 19-5 (Lee lost 10-12 OT)

Murin IA 11-4

If the season ended today, I'd probably go Carr (undefeated in the Big Ten), Lee, McKenna and Moran as the top 4.  I'm not sure of the exact criteria used, but going on Big Ten only results, that makes the most sense to me.  If Moran had beaten Carr today, I'd have gone Moran, Carr/Lee, McKenna.  The match between Carr and Lee next Sunday will be big in determining how the final seeds are set.

My guess is Red will end up 6th or 7th

Edited by SWINfan

1 hour ago, SWINfan said:

If the season ended today, I'd probably go Carr (undefeated in the Big Ten), Lee, McKenna and Moran as the top 4.  I'm not sure of the exact criteria used, but going on Big Ten only results, that makes the most sense to me.  If Moran had beaten Carr today, I'd have gone Moran, Carr/Lee, McKenna.  The match between Carr and Lee next Sunday will be big in determining how the final seeds are set.

My guess is Red will end up 6th or 7th

Lee would be #1. He has the best record and has the best win. 

40 minutes ago, IU89 said:

Lee would be #1. He has the best record and has the best win. 

Carr is undefeated in Big Ten matches, is ranked higher and beat Lee last year, finishing higher in the conference tournament, has bigger Big Ten wins (as a whole) and his only two losses are to higher ranked Jaydin Eierman of Missouri.  I don't see any way Lee would be seeded higher than Carr as of today.  Granted, next Sunday that should fix itself as they go head to head.

35 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Carr is undefeated in Big Ten matches, is ranked higher and beat Lee last year, finishing higher in the conference tournament, has bigger Big Ten wins (as a whole) and his only two losses are to higher ranked Jaydin Eierman of Missouri.  I don't see any way Lee would be seeded higher than Carr as of today.  Granted, next Sunday that should fix itself as they go head to head.

Nick will be ranked higher when the polls come out Monday.  We’ll see if he ducks Nick next Sunday. If Carr wrestles, he’s no longer undefeated in the Big Ten. And, Carr will have 4 losses. 

Edited by IU89

2 hours ago, IU89 said:

Nick will be ranked higher when the polls come out Monday.  We’ll see if he ducks Nick next Sunday. If Carr wrestles, he’s no longer undefeated in the Big Ten. And, Carr will have 4 losses. 

I said in my original post it was about how I would seed them today and that next week's match will clear any doubt up.  But Carr beat Moran today, who beat Nick.  So I don't think Nick will be above him in the rankings.  Maybe so.  But I doubt Big Ten seeding is pulling up Intermat or Flo for their rankings.

And to clarify, Carr has 2 or 3 losses right now depending on the source.  I have seen both.  The loss in question is when he MFF'd out of a tournament, so it depends on what counts.  His only losses on the mat were both to Eierman.  

17 hours ago, IU89 said:

I would guess that Carr is rated higher than Lee today.

Take Flo for example (the official rankings of the B1G we are constantly reminded on BTN broadcasts), when Alber beat Eierman. Going in Alber was 10 and Eierman 3. After Alber was 6 and Eierman still 3. Or when Lee lost to Moran. Going in Lee was 4 and Moran was 16. After Lee was 6 and Moran was 13. 

My guess is Lee only moves up one spot to 5 with Alber slipping one spot to 6. Maybe Eierman swaps with McKenna at 2 and 3. But Carr will stay 4. No need to move Lee higher or Carr lower because that will be settled on the mat soon enough. (Editors note: Take Lee in that one).