Top 5 Team State Final Thoughts

navy80

1.GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS:  lets first talk about our female wrestlers from Team State. Alara Boyd Yorktown won girls regionals with three pins, as expected. But, at team state she won 2 matches by pin and lost to Gimson by pin in the second. And this is at 138lbs.. You don't see girls having success at that weight. Where is she going to college? Annalyse Dooley West Vigo won girls regionals with three pins and went 1-3 at team state. Tori Buchanan West Vigo won girls regionals and went 3-1 at  team state. Tough Girls! Kayla Miracle broke the glass ceiling and paved the way for these girls to show they can hang with the boys. 

2. MATER DEI: Really disappointed in MD. I guess I wanted to see the MD from the past where they could pull huge upsets, get pins and not get pinned.. but they're young and look for them to compete next year.

3. BROWNSBURG: Showed you can't buy a title and that upsets are still a thing. This cements Brownsburg's legacy up their with Mishawaka, Penn, Mater Dei, Perry, etc.. (Avon too, I guess lol). 

4. UPSET CITY! North Posey comes in UNSEEDED and places third. I guess no one told them they weren't seeded! 

5. DONNELL WASHINGTON/NICK SOUTH: State champ versus State champ! Props to Donnell for bumping up. Donnell has faced two state champs this year and is 1-1 against them. (He may have faced one at Brecksville, IDK). South shows us last year wasn't a fluke or this years S32 second place finish. IU getting a good one!

What are your top 5 thoughts?

3 hours ago, navy80 said:

1.GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS:  lets first talk about our female wrestlers from Team State. Alara Boyd Yorktown won girls regionals with three pins, as expected. But, at team state she won 2 matches by pin and lost to Gimson by pin in the second. And this is at 138lbs.. You don't see girls having success at that weight. Where is she going to college? Annalyse Dooley West Vigo won girls regionals with three pins and went 1-3 at team state. Tori Buchanan West Vigo won girls regionals and went 3-1 at  team state. Tough Girls! Kayla Miracle broke the glass ceiling and paved the way for these girls to show they can hang with the boys. 

2. MATER DEI: Really disappointed in MD. I guess I wanted to see the MD from the past where they could pull huge upsets, get pins and not get pinned.. but they're young and look for them to compete next year.

3. BROWNSBURG: Showed you can't buy a title and that upsets are still a thing. This cements Brownsburg's legacy up their with Mishawaka, Penn, Mater Dei, Perry, etc.. (Avon too, I guess lol). 

4. UPSET CITY! North Posey comes in UNSEEDED and places third. I guess no one told them they weren't seeded! 

5. DONNELL WASHINGTON/NICK SOUTH: State champ versus State champ! Props to Donnell for bumping up. Donnell has faced two state champs this year and is 1-1 against them. (He may have faced one at Brecksville, IDK). South shows us last year wasn't a fluke or this years S32 second place finish. IU getting a good one!

What are your top 5 thoughts?

1. Agree

2. Expected them to be top 2

3. Not super surprised.  They find a way to get it done.

4. North Posey is established--Coach Moll does a good job.

5.  Donnell is not a state champ is he?  Was he in Illinois?

3 hours ago, navy80 said:

Agreed 100%. I believe there was a girl from Pendleton Heights(?) in the 90's that was a tough middle weight. Katie something?

Top quadrants per class

3A- Cathedral, Penn, Avon AND W. Central, Col. East, Roncalli tie

2A- Western, S.D, Leo AND Wawasee, Rochester, Edgewood tie

1A-Eastern, North Posey, Attica the clear winner here

WEAKEST QUADRANT

3A- Mater Dei, Carmel, Portage

2A Centerville, Frankton, Central Noble

1A- no weak ones here, all were close.

Things didn't go Mater Dei's way this weekend, but I don't think it's fair to be disappointed and they have holes that were known about going in.  In the WC match, they had two big swings....   The first was when they inserted Fitts at 152 and bumped Dickens up to 160.  The DQ by Fitts gave WC 6 pts (1 later deducted) and cost MD the 3 team points gained from Matt Lee's match.  That's an 8 pt swing and could have been an 11 pt swing had Fitts come back to win.  He was only down 2-0 and had ridden Coleman the whole 2nd period.  Not only was that a huge swing, but it seemed to take the wind out of their sails somewhat.  

The other was the Baumann - Pierson match.  They were locked in a tight battle tied at 2 and Baumann was holding his own and attacking more.  Pierson caught him and flipped him to his back when they were tied up, giving WC a 6 pt win.  Pierson did the same to Cole Ross last year at State on Friday night.  Kudos to him for great moves.  But I wouldn't bet on it happening to either guy again.  So in a match MD had a solid chance at winning or at the least losing a decision, it turned into a -6.  I get it.  You have to wrestle all three periods and that's why we wrestle the actual matches because these things happen.  But those were two momentum swings that could have easily gone MD's way and the whole outcome could have changed.

MD's biggest issue is with their upper weights.  They are simply outmanned from 195-285 and at times at 182 as well.  From 182-220, all of these guMys could qualify to wrestle at least one class down.  I believed their 220 in Michigan weighed in at 192.  They just aren't able to hold up to the pounding from the bigger guys even when they are able to put up a good fight.  I believe their experience level is very low as well.  Not an excuse, but it is what it is, and you know that going in.  Personally, I felt like their #2 ranking was a bit high due to just that.  But they have some studs and are deep.  

Alec Freeman went 4-0 on the day beating 2 ranked wrestlers #s 4 & 9
Brody Baumann, their JV (albeit he's very good) got indoctrinated facing the #s 1, 2 & 3 ranked wrestlers. Not sure on the health of Cole Ross and when he is expected back.
Blake Boarman goes 4-0
The Egli brothers went a combined 3-5, losing all 5 to ranked wrestlers.  
Blaine Mayer won 3 of 4, losing only a 5-3 decision in a match he had to have a fall for his team to win.
Matt Lee goes 4-0 beating #s 3 & 5
Eli Dickens goes 4-0 and beats #1 Rodgers
Macartney Parkinson went 4-0 with 3 falls and a win over higher ranked Logan Hart.

There was a lot of good for the Wildcats this weekend.  Just not enough to overcome the swings against WC to get to the final.

2 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Things didn't go Mater Dei's way this weekend, but I don't think it's fair to be disappointed and they have holes that were known about going in.  In the WC match, they had two big swings....   The first was when they inserted Fitts at 152 and bumped Dickens up to 160.  The DQ by Fitts gave WC 6 pts (1 later deducted) and cost MD the 3 team points gained from Matt Lee's match.  That's an 8 pt swing and could have been an 11 pt swing had Fitts come back to win.  He was only down 2-0 and had ridden Coleman the whole 2nd period.  Not only was that a huge swing, but it seemed to take the wind out of their sails somewhat.  

The other was the Baumann - Pierson match.  They were locked in a tight battle tied at 2 and Baumann was holding his own and attacking more.  Pierson caught him and flipped him to his back when they were tied up, giving WC a 6 pt win.  Pierson did the same to Cole Ross last year at State on Friday night.  Kudos to him for great moves.  But I wouldn't bet on it happening to either guy again.  So in a match MD had a solid chance at winning or at the least losing a decision, it turned into a -6.  I get it.  You have to wrestle all three periods and that's why we wrestle the actual matches because these things happen.  But those were two momentum swings that could have easily gone MD's way and the whole outcome could have changed.

MD's biggest issue is with their upper weights.  They are simply outmanned from 195-285 and at times at 182 as well.  From 182-220, all of these guMys could qualify to wrestle at least one class down.  I believed their 220 in Michigan weighed in at 192.  They just aren't able to hold up to the pounding from the bigger guys even when they are able to put up a good fight.  I believe their experience level is very low as well.  Not an excuse, but it is what it is, and you know that going in.  Personally, I felt like their #2 ranking was a bit high due to just that.  But they have some studs and are deep.  

Brody Baumann, their JV (albeit he's very good) got indoctrinated facing the #s 1, 2 & 3 ranked wrestlers. Not sure on the health of Cole Ross and when he is expected back.
Blake Boarman goes 4-0
Blaine Mayer won 3 of 4, losing only a 5-3 decision in a match he had to have a fall for his team to win.
Macartney Parkinson went 4-0 with 3 falls and a win over higher ranked Logan Hart.

There was a lot of good for the Wildcats this weekend.  Just not enough to overcome the swings against WC to get to the final.

Great breakdown. Thanks!

6 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Blake Boarman goes 4-0

and to add, both kids that MD has had wrestling 220 this year are freshman.  A couple of freshman that don't even weigh 200 lbs wrestling 220 and the outcome of their matches is really no surprise.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.