Hot Mic mat 4

20 minutes ago, The Irish Knuckle said:

Ok , I get you volunteered but just know know your mic was hot...After Np was dominated in mid weights,  “Why are they here”. Sorry they came back and won,  ‘“that coach is on my nerve”, but I got it when the guy asked for your shirt size 2x. Nut said

There was a lot of inappropriate language and comments made from scoring tables.  I know they volunteer but let's try to stay classy. 

Listened all day long. There was a lot of positive comments but also heard a decent amount of swear words and few GD's. At times it was definitely not kid friendly.  Pretty sure it was Carmel vs Roncalli match.  Table made fun of 182 pounder's hair and then made derogatory comments about his father's appearance.  It was after match was completed and does not appear on reply.  

40 minutes ago, trackgopher said:

Any clue what dual might have been occurring for all of this? Let us know any complaints. We want to run the best tournament we can but need your feedback with that kind of info to get us to bring the best back!

Thanks.

The biggest issue I had, was just that there was a ton of idle chatter, not related to wrestling as if those at the table didn't know it was mic'd.  I did hear a few curse words, but it could have been from people behind the table in some instances too.  And the guy, during the Carmel (?) vs. Mater Dei match that was complaining that David Ross didn't win Mr. Football and blamed all of the small schools for ganging up to vote for Jack Kiser from Pioneer like it was an unfair conspiracy or something.  I get you like David Bell.  But your whining does not belong on the wrestling feed....    Also, there was a good bit of cheering for wrestlers coming from girls at the table during the WC - MD match.  It wasn't too bad, but all things being equal, I'd prefer not to hear "Let's go XXX, get one" (meaning takedown) 30x a match.  Still a minor issue in the grand scheme.

Lastly, not sure if everyone else had issues, but the feed was good for the most part all day long with little lagging and freezing.  Until the final match on Mat 6 (MD - Cathedral).  Had to refresh probably 10-15x during those matches, far more than I had to the rest of the day combined.

1 hour ago, Chapdaddy said:

Listened all day long. There was a lot of positive comments but also heard a decent amount of swear words and few GD's. At times it was definitely not kid friendly.  Pretty sure it was Carmel vs Roncalli match.  Table made fun of 182 pounder's hair and then made derogatory comments about his father's appearance.  It was after match was completed and does not appear on reply.  

Won't someone think of the children *clutches pearls*

News flash, I have children, I presume you have children,  they have access to the internet and humans in general, they hear foul language, get over it.

3 hours ago, greco165 said:

Won't someone think of the children *clutches pearls*

News flash, I have children, I presume you have children,  they have access to the internet and humans in general, they hear foul language, get over it.

There's some solid parenting.  Just don't be a snowflake when someone takes the role of raising your kids and tells them to watch their language and shut their pinhole later when they're talking like a truck driver in public 

Let’s face it... when we are around our friends we all say stuff that we wouldn’t say in a million years in public your to the masses. I’m not making excuses for these volunteers. They shouldn’t have said that stuff. Sounds like they simply needed to be reminded that people at home can hear them. During my years doing all of this I have seen this addressed in multiple ways. I have seen signs taped to the tables that remind the table help that they are being listened to. I have been to tournaments where the announcers remind table help that they can be listened to online. And lastly (which I absolutely hate) is all mics are muted. I would suggest going with the first two suggestions, and if it is an issue next year move in to number 3. Hope this helps. 

20 hours ago, The Irish Knuckle said:

Ok , I get you volunteered but just know know your mic was hot...After Np was dominated in mid weights,  “Why are they here”. Sorry they came back and won,  ‘“that coach is on my nerve”, but I got it when the guy asked for your shirt size 2x. Nut said

What does the 2x shirt size have to do with anything? I wear a 2x and don't talk that way. Actually, I could get away with a 1x. But I like my shirts loose. Haha

16 hours ago, awood1 said:

There's some solid parenting.  Just don't be a snowflake when someone takes the role of raising your kids and tells them to watch their language and shut their pinhole later when they're talking like a truck driver in public 

Hey awood, can we work together and make a list of worse things in the world than foul language? I'll start. Locking innocent children in cages and neglecting them until they die.

12 hours ago, greco165 said:

Hey awood, can we work together and make a list of worse things in the world than foul language? I'll start. Locking innocent children in cages and neglecting them until they die.

Nice strawman argument, but I'd rather stay on topic.  When I'm standing behind your kid in line at concessions, with pre-schoolers or grandparents, and he/she is dropping f bombs.  Don't be shocked when I do your job of parenting for you.

Edited by Y2CJ41
Edit for format

7 hours ago, awood1 said:

Nice strawman argument, but I'd rather stay on topic.  When I'm standing behind your kid in line at concessions, with pre-schoolers or grandparents, and he/she is dropping f bombs.  Don't be shocked when I do your job of parenting for you.

So you're saying with your parenting ability, you would be unable to correct and discipline your child for using foul language once they've been exposed to it? I never said my child would curse, but you'll kill yourself trying to shield them from any possible offensive content.

Edited by Y2CJ41
edit to include quote

7 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Back on topic.

This should be a reminder to those working the table at streamed events that the mic is usually on and be aware of what you are saying throughout the day.

On 1/6/2019 at 5:21 AM, Mattyb said:

Let’s face it... when we are around our friends we all say stuff that we wouldn’t say in a million years in public your to the masses. I’m not making excuses for these volunteers. They shouldn’t have said that stuff. Sounds like they simply needed to be reminded that people at home can hear them. During my years doing all of this I have seen this addressed in multiple ways. I have seen signs taped to the tables that remind the table help that they are being listened to. I have been to tournaments where the announcers remind table help that they can be listened to online. And lastly (which I absolutely hate) is all mics are muted. I would suggest going with the first two suggestions, and if it is an issue next year move in to number 3. Hope this helps. 

Unfortunately they were told to begin the day, after reports of a couple of people trashing a teams coaching staff, and again later in the day when TW sent us a message about another issue.  That was why I was asking for mat #s if possible. Unfortunately we are at a point where next year we will have to strongly question if the audio will be live due to these issues and lack of knowledge of who was causing the issues.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:30 PM, SWINfan said:

The biggest issue I had, was just that there was a ton of idle chatter, not related to wrestling as if those at the table didn't know it was mic'd.  I did hear a few curse words, but it could have been from people behind the table in some instances too.  And the guy, during the Carmel (?) vs. Mater Dei match that was complaining that David Ross didn't win Mr. Football and blamed all of the small schools for ganging up to vote for Jack Kiser from Pioneer like it was an unfair conspiracy or something.  I get you like David Bell.  But your whining does not belong on the wrestling feed....    Also, there was a good bit of cheering for wrestlers coming from girls at the table during the WC - MD match.  It wasn't too bad, but all things being equal, I'd prefer not to hear "Let's go XXX, get one" (meaning takedown) 30x a match.  Still a minor issue in the grand scheme.

Lastly, not sure if everyone else had issues, but the feed was good for the most part all day long with little lagging and freezing.  Until the final match on Mat 6 (MD - Cathedral).  Had to refresh probably 10-15x during those matches, far more than I had to the rest of the day combined.

This helps us know the mat that was being ran due to giving specifics!  So thank you!  The MD-Cathedral stream was a little shaky for a while, but it should have resolved in the middle of the dual.  We stopped streaming and started again, and it was showing that it was working as it should.   We logged in as a user to closely monitor.

For the lets go xxx, those were the schools managers that were also at the table.  This is no different than any other event.  It is always good to have checks and balances and there were a couple of instances that the checks and balances were utilized for discrepancies with the scores and such.  The managers will still be allowed at the tables, but we may move the cameras so that they are heard less.

There was one large issue in the middle of the meet as a wrestler fell into a computer and ultimately took down the entire event's streams.  But it only should have been down for at most 2 minutes.  We do apologize for this issue, but there wasn't much we could have done about it!

We are also aware that mat 1 was having some issues throughout the day with freezing.  We kept that mat up, but know that some matches were missed due to the freezing.  We regret that it happened, but we were trying to monitor it closely.

If you guys do still have more comments on how to make it better for those at home, please let us know!  I am compiling the responses for the TW extraordinaire Pat Culp and she is always willing to try to make things better.

I really hate the fact that a few bad apples are going to ruin the whole batch. I personally like to hear the whistles, crowd, and the coaches during the broadcast. And.. sometimes you get some really knowledgeable table help that say some good stuff. I think that doing away with sound takes away from the broadcast. I really would encourage that you tape a reminder to each table to remind them to watch what they say, before the tournament is muted. 

2 hours ago, greco165 said:

So you're saying with your parenting ability, you would be unable to correct and discipline your child for using foul language once they've been exposed to it? I never said my child would curse, but you'll kill yourself trying to shield them from any possible offensive content.

My kids are well versed in what is acceptable language and what is appropriate where.  They were also taught that you shouldn't ignore unacceptable behavior simply because "everybody's doing it" or it is awkward to correct.  The post your original response was directed to described the broadcast as "definitely not kid friendly".  Only ignorance would believe that HS kids don't curse BUT it is a reasonable expectation by any responsible adult that any kid can understand the context of being broadcast across the world wide web and considering that ANYONE could be listening.

A simple reminder should be all that's neccessary to correct the situation.  Pretending that everyone that may be listening to a HS wrestling match should be accepting of foul language as part of it is ignoring the problem and failing the kids in question.  If you let it go as "just what kids do", then you have no expectation of anything better out of them.  It may not be comfortable, but I think the kids deserve to be told when they're f'in up.

*Even this forum has *corrective measures" for inappropriate language....for a reason.

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

I really hate the fact that a few bad apples are going to ruin the whole batch. I personally like to hear the whistles, crowd, and the coaches during the broadcast. And.. sometimes you get some really knowledgeable table help that say some good stuff. I think that doing away with sound takes away from the broadcast. I really would encourage that you tape a reminder to each table to remind them to watch what they say, before the tournament is muted. 

It is far from a done deal.  It is just becoming more and more apparent that more needs to be done.  We are working to figure out what the best course of action is going to be, but can tell you that something has to change.  We had fifteen messages sent through from TW about the issues at a couple tables.  Unfortunately they did not respond with the actual table numbers. 

Here is the biggest issue.  We have to beg people to work the tables.  Teams turn in a list of people and then for some reason they are unavailable to do the jobs so we have to ask the general public to assist.  There was even a point where I had to sit at a table as one of the event management.  And hopefully there was no issues with talking at the 3A finals match.  If there was, I am probably in trouble myself. Haha.

Honestly I love working tables, as evident that I work Big Tens and NCAAs (volunteer). But for me, running tournaments and coaching still have my heart more.

2 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Back on topic.

This should be a reminder to those working the table at streamed events that the mic is usually on and be aware of what you are saying throughout the day.

We should also remind the coaches and officials that the table is mic'd, sometimes you can hear the coach/ref conversation...... 

In other events I have found that having a decent play by play persons communication information throughout the match helps a lot to eliminate or at least drown out a lot of those background conversation.

But that involves finding a quality person or two for each mat. That is sometimes a tall task for a multi-surface event when tournament help in general is hard to come by.  

You may have to turn off the mics for the opening rounds since a lot is going on and help is stretched.  But maybe a couple useful play by play people can be found for at least the the finals.  Or even a few of the top semi finals matches too. 

Edited by MattM

19 minutes ago, MattM said:

In other events I have found that having a decent play by play persons communication information throughout the match helps a lot to eliminate or at least drown out a lot of those background conversation.

But that involves finding a quality person or two for each mat. That is sometimes a tall task for a multi-surface event when tournament help in general is hard to come by.  

You may have to turn off the mics for the opening rounds since a lot is going on and help is stretched.  But maybe a couple useful play by play people can be found for at least the the finals.  Or even a few of the top semi finals matches too. 

I can agree with this.  Again, if anyone wants to volunteer to do things like these, we would be more than happy to try to work something out.

3 hours ago, Mattyb said:

I completely agree! I also like to hear the whistles, noise, etc. I heard a little bit of foul language here and there but I thought it went great. I wasn't able to make the trip to Fort. Wayne this year and was very thankful and pleased to be able to watch it on track. Please don't let a few bad apples or a few complaining make up your mind. Thank you for everything you did. 

I know it looks bad,  but some kids can be immature some times, but Im sure it wasn't worse than anything the president of our country has said on a hot mic, and that didn't seem to bother most people in this country. You have to admit its a little funny.  Maybe we should of gone out and warned the kids after that happened.  Did anybody do that Awood1?  I agree with Joe.  you need constant reminders that the Mic is live in situations like this.   And yes it helps getting mature adults to volunteer for something like this.   Maybe being a volunteer is also an issue.   Did anybody ever think about paying people to work the tables,  and if you did, you might get a little more quality. Yes, it would cut into the profits, but compensate by charging a little more.  I sure hope they keep the MIc going,  it  gives the broadcast or more authentic feeling.

The real question is: did anybody get hot mic audio from Fabio.   That in itself would be worth the $15 trackwrestling fee.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

6 hours ago, Mattyb said:

ppl don't like the chatter they themselves can mute it.. I agree we can't punish everybody just because a few silly ppl..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.