Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
maligned

Team State updates

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, fearless fly said:

where was that info before devildog asked ?  I was on here when he posted and looked when I realized I couldnt find anything.

could have been better promoted IMO 

Ask the people at the IHSWCA, it's their event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some exciting wrestling yesterday. I do have to say though that it was ran poorly for such an event as this.  The table help, although I know are volunteers were pretty bad.  The refs weren't much better throughout mats 1-12.  I sure hope semi state and state go smoother. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pantherman95 said:

Some exciting wrestling yesterday. I do have to say though that it was ran poorly for such an event as this.  The table help, although I know are volunteers were pretty bad.  The refs weren't much better throughout mats 1-12.  I sure hope semi state and state go smoother. 

Like everything in life , there is room for improvement but keep in mind that this event wouldn’t take place without the coaches and Indianamat’s staff , The  Ihsaa decided that this event wasn’t needed.... 

 

Joe and his team are always in need of volunteers or if you are certified referee that would be even better...  

 

We do really appreciate everyone’s hard word that put this together and put in the hard work running it.. 

Edited by Topdogwrestling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why was there such a long time between rounds 4, 5 and 6? My only complaint was too much down time for the later rounds waiting on officials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was Southern Wells first trip to the tournament and we had a blast. A big thank you to everyone who organizes the tournament. I think the big delay was just trying to keep the rounds together for all 3 classes. 1a duals were way ahead of 3a. Always room for improvement but I hope we earn our opportunity to compete at this tournament again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that for having to do it on their own without the help of IHSAA that they did a solid job, and I apologize if I sounded ungrateful. As a consumer I try to do my part by purchasing these events and I sometimes forget the sacrifice on the other end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Announcer believes Viduya to Purdue, and if that is true then the  Viduya vs Garcia rivalvry go on for a long time. No complaints here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jayruss said:

Announcer believes Viduya to Purdue, and if that is true then the  Viduya vs Garcia rivalvry go on for a long time. No complaints here. 

I talked to Richard Viduya (Alec’s father) and this is not accurate. A decision has NOT been made for his son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NeverStradle said:

For how many years has there been a non ihsaa sanctioned team state?

Last IHSAA Team State Tournament was 2012.   

Edited by MattM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 9:38 AM, maligned said:

Wawasee about to finish off Rochester, up 48-8 with a couple matches left.

What happened to Rochester? I was looking back at their state series results on Track last year. They were supposed to be bringing back their 7 best guys, but only 5 of those best 7 are on their roster. I'd seen their results seemed down, but I hadn't investigated. Not having 4 returning semi-state qualifiers and another 20+ win guy has really hampered them.

I'll be completely transparent.  Our 106 just got back from a broken wrist suffered in PE.  Saturday was his first match.  Our 113 from last year quit.  Our 126/132 has been very sick.  He was there but not healthy.  Our 138 has pneumonia.  Our 160, 182, and 195 are serving a suspension and will be back for Conference and the post season.  Christmas Break was not very kind to us this year.  Oh, and our heavy weight just quit right after team state because "It's just too hard" (Been wrestling since elementary school.). Oh, and our 126 freshman broke his arm on Saturday in the second round.  Yep, I think I got it all...

We'll regroup...we still have some good wrestling left in us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The IHSWCA is working on ways to make this event more efficient for everyone.  Grand Park will make it more centralized and allow for more mats, which could solve the down time.  Grand Park also presents more challenges for us though, which we are currently working on solutions.  Opinions, advice and input are welcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HighC said:

The IHSWCA is working on ways to make this event more efficient for everyone.  Grand Park will make it more centralized and allow for more mats, which could solve the down time.  Grand Park also presents more challenges for us though, which we are currently working on solutions.  Opinions, advice and input are welcome. 

Can you briefly describe the challenges with Grand Park?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Can you briefly describe the challenges with Grand Park?

Seating, locker rooms, and cost.  Seating is limited, we are looking into renting bleachers, but that just adds to an already pricey venue.  The locker room situation isn't ideal, but supposedly they are are adding more locker rooms to the venue before then.  I'll keep everyone posted, willing to be as transparent as possible.  As to promoting the event, I thought this website did a great job promoting and communicating info for it.  We have a IHSWCA Facebook page that cranks out promotions and info.  We don't have a Twitter, but should and will soon.  Again, opinions, advice and suggestions are welcome.  

Edited by HighC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HighC said:

Seating, locker rooms, and cost.  Seating is limited, we are looking into renting bleachers, but that just adds to an already pricey venue.  The locker room situation isn't ideal, but supposedly they are are adding more locker rooms to the venue before then.  I'll keep everyone posted, willing to be as transparent as possible.  As to promoting the event, I thought this website did a great job promoting and communicating info for it.  We have a IHSWCA Facebook page that cranks out promotions and info.  We don't have a Twitter, but should and will soon.  Again, opinions, advice and suggestions are welcome.  

Did anybody ever consider Lambert  fieldhouse at Purdue?   It seats 7500.       It had a full indoor track in it, so you probably could 12 mats In there.  Plenty of parking.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two options to get out a couple hours earlier (as the day is too long).

A. Get 6 more mats so the 1st thru 4th teams don't have a second bye. 

B. Pool losers go home so the 1st thru 4th teams don't have a second bye.

In my opinion, 8 teams are not enough and 16 are too many. 12 teams is perfect. Just eliminate the 2nd bye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Can you briefly describe the challenges with Grand Park?

I have been on a visit there and was thoroughly impressed. A small concern was that the seating was 2nd level. So essentially you are watching the wrestling from the 2nd level. Which actually isn't terrible because it keeps fans really out of the action and away from kids, etc...

I believe they have recently added more showers. I was surprised at how many of these huge parks didn't have showers that I have looked at. Grand Park does have showers, and supposedly recently added more.

Also, the date was a huge concern. Jan 11 is not available for next year (sounds like it isn't for Fort Wayne either.) But Jan 4th is, then Jan 2nd the next year, and we were checking to see if in year 3 we could get Jan 8.

I'm sort of being transparent, but these are all discussions that have been had. People have also offered up going to 4 classes of 8 or 10, because this middle group is really being lost. The 1300-2400 population size feels they have no chance of ever getting in. This would make for shorter days as well... We'll see how it all goes soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion I enjoy the bye. It gives our guys a chance to recover, nap and eat. We have them leave the area and sit in the lobby and usually take them outside to get some fresh air during the bye. Even though we don’t pull into the school until 1 am I think the byes help keep guys excited, energized and “fresh”. It can be rough to have an emotional win or lose and turn around and wrestle again. Either way it is a great event with some fantastic wrestling. Thanks to those who run it and put it together! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wrestling Scholar said:

Did anybody ever consider Lambert  fieldhouse at Purdue?   It seats 7500.       It had a full indoor track in it, so you probably could 12 mats In there.  Plenty of parking.     

Yep, I remember we had the Great Lakes Festival in that fieldhouse back in the day.  I was there not too long ago visiting Purdue's practice, lots of upgrades to it.  It looks as if some permanent track and field equipment have been added.  Long jump pit, pole vault pit, high jump pit, even throwing rings.  I know Ersland and Purdue's staff would work with us on it, but is it the centralized location we're looking for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Coach Seymour said:

In my opinion I enjoy the bye. It gives our guys a chance to recover, nap and eat. We have them leave the area and sit in the lobby and usually take them outside to get some fresh air during the bye. Even though we don’t pull into the school until 1 am I think the byes help keep guys excited, energized and “fresh”. It can be rough to have an emotional win or lose and turn around and wrestle again. Either way it is a great event with some fantastic wrestling. Thanks to those who run it and put it together! 

According to the discussions that we've had, the 3A class system and 12 teams per class are the magic numbers.  2 classes isn't enough and 4 is too many, 16 teams is too many and 8 isn't enough.  That being said, the bye in the pool play probably can't be eliminated, but the bye during the placement rounds can be eliminated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Two options to get out a couple hours earlier (as the day is too long).

A. Get 6 more mats so the 1st thru 4th teams don't have a second bye. 

B. Pool losers go home so the 1st thru 4th teams don't have a second bye.

In my opinion, 8 teams are not enough and 16 are too many. 12 teams is perfect. Just eliminate the 2nd bye. 

You're in tune here, these have been our discussions exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.