Mason Parris

DLane

Wow. HUUUUUGE first win for Mason. It’s a bold move for Michigan to pull the redshirt, but you know Mason was itching to wrestle this year.

Go get ‘em, Mason. Still very conflicted to be cheering for two Wolverines...

Should also be noted that Dhesi is currently ranked #1 by Flo right now.

Edited by Caleb Spires

9 hours ago, Caleb Spires said:

Wow. HUUUUUGE first win for Mason. It’s a bold move for Michigan to pull the redshirt, but you know Mason was itching to wrestle this year.

Go get ‘em, Mason. Still very conflicted to be cheering for two Wolverines...

Should also be noted that Dhesi is currently ranked #1 by Flo right now.

Not his first win, he placed 5th at the Midlands.

3 hours ago, maligned said:

First "varsity" (i.e. "attached") win

Correct.....  though, his previous matches now count so he is 18-3 on the year.  But this was indeed his first official varsity match.  I like it.  285 is very uncertain this year with Gable wrestling as a frosh, Stoll not wrestling much, Dhesi just getting started, etc.  Wide open weight.  Look forward to see how he does against bigger guys like Stoll who carry the full 285 (or close to it) and have the wrestling ability to boot.

2 hours ago, MD92 said:

I don't think 285 is wide open.  I think it is Gable's to lose at this point.  Spots 2-8 may be wide open though.

He's clearly the favorite, but I think the gap between him and the field is much less than it was between Snyder/Coon and the field. As others have suggested, what's fascinating is that there's no real pecking order at all here like in many years past in this older man's weight class that's typically controlled by established veterans. 

12 hours ago, SWINfan said:

My guess is 10-15.... 

I'm going to guess a little lower bc they're always so conservative with ranking freshmen. I'll guess they'll slide Singletary and Stencel up, put Parris right behind them at about 17 or 18, drop Hillger behind Parris, and punish Dhesi by dropping him to 5 or 6. 

Just remember pARRIS WAS A 3 sport athlete. Put him in a room to train with a world solver medalist- the sky is the limit. I surprised he is not on the gridiron- total stud athlete. Put it down top 3 dis year - maybe knowing off stevenson

10 hours ago, regionrat1 said:

Just remember pARRIS WAS A 3 sport athlete. Put him in a room to train with a world solver medalist- the sky is the limit. I surprised he is not on the gridiron- total stud athlete. Put it down top 3 dis year - maybe knowing off stevenson

Wish he was on the football field for Coach Harbaugh 

5 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Mason entered the Flo rankings today at #7.  Higher than I expected, but he is certainly gathering respect quickly.

Ha..much higher than i expected. Seems they weighted the good more than the bad with those 3 guys he lost to sitting 10, 11, and 12 spots lower than him.

Edited by maligned

5 hours ago, maligned said:

Ha..much higher than i expected. Seems they weighted the good more than the bad with those 3 guys he lost to sitting 10, 11, and 12 spots lower than him.

Yeah, that's where rankings can get tough.  I was expecting 10+.  We'll see shortly.  He'll have 3 matches to get his Big Ten feet wet in the next 8 days, against unranked opponents from Illinois (1/12), Michigan St (1/18) and Purdue (1/20).  Then it gets interesting as Michigan visits Ohio State (1/25) and a rematch with #18 Chase Singletary looms , followed by a trip to Penn State and #4 Anthony Cassar (2/1), and at home against Northwestern (2/10) in a rematch against #19 Conan Jennings. There should also be a battle against #6 Youssif Hemida of Maryland (2/15).  He'll definitely be tested before heading into the Big Ten and NCAA's!

Note: Intermat's rankings came out late last night and Mason came in at #8 there.

Edited by SWINfan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.