3A Team State

Indysportsfan

Looking at team matches is exhausting, as I said earlier I see the potential for many teams to move around wrestlers to gain an advantage.  Here is some data to chew on:

• #1 Cathedral: State ranking -- 4 wrestlers in top 4 (113, 132, 152, 160), 3 ranked between 5th - 8th (126, 138, 145) and 1 more ranked (182); 1 ranked in Semi-State only (106) -- 8 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:   126 (2x), 132, 138, 145 (3x), 152 (2x), 160 (3x) //  1 Returning State Champ, 2 Returning State Runner-up  //  Loaded with skill & experience, if you are going to beat them you best chance is to win almost all of the matches between 106-120 and 170-285 and stay off your back in every other match.  If you can steal a match in the middle that will be a huge bonus because the lineup (126 - 160) is similar to 'Alabama Football', pure talent.  With all that said I do believe there are a couple of teams that fit the bill and will battle them to the end.

• #8 Avon: State ranking -- 4 wrestlers in top 4 (126, 132, 152, 182), and 3 more ranked between 9th -13th (120, 138, 145); 1 ranked in Semi-State only (220) -- 8 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:   120, 126 (2x),132 (3x), 152 (3x), 182  //  1 Returning State Champ (2-timer) //  They have 4 kids who are serious contenders to be a 2019 State Champ; the rest of the group has plenty of experience on their side as well.  They have wrestled the hardest schedule YTD and are more than ready to do battle in Fort Wayne. It has been mentioned several times they have been forfeiting 2 weight classes and they were missing a stud for several of their matches as well.  They will be a tough out and entertaining to watch.

• Penn: State ranking -- 1 wrestler in top 4 (195), and 3 between 5th - 9th (120, 220, 285) and 2 more ranked (145, 182); 2 ranked in Semi-State only (132, 138) -- 8 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:   120, 132, 195 //  Unfortunately down in Indy we are not provided many opportunities to watch the teams from the ECSS.  With that said Penn is known throughout the state as a hard nosed team with plenty of heart & technique.  If any match comes down to the wire and Penn has 182 - 285 remaining they will win the match.   Between 106 - 170 they have several wrestlers ranked and are more than capable of winning a big match for the team.   Don't sleep on the Kingsmen, if you do you may be behind on the scoreboard after the 14th match.

POTENTIAL MATCHES:

120 Vince Sparrow - Penn (#9) vs Tyler Conley - Avon (#13)

126 Ray Rioux - Avon (#4) vs Lukasz Walendzak - Cathedral (#6)

132 Asa Garcia - Avon (#1) vs Logan Bailey - Cathedral (#3) (1st match was 1-0 Garcia)

152 Nathan Conley - Avon (#3) vs Elliott Rodgers - Cathedral (#1)

• #2 Evansville Mater Dei: State ranking -- 3 wrestlers in top 4 (113, 120, 145), 7 ranked between 7th - 13th (106, 126, 132, 138, 152, 160, 170); 1 ranked in Semi-State only (182) -- 11 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:   113,120,126, 145 (2x), 152 //  Although EMD is located 3 hours south of my location I am familiar with this group of wrestlers.  They reload each year better than any school in our state.  Never one to back down from a challenge; they don't get pinned, or give up any bonus points for that matter, and when given the opportunity to win in that fashion they usually seize the moment.  Look for them to be laser focus in their quest to win Team State this coming weekend.

• #7 Carmel: State ranking --  1 wrestler in top 4 (106), and 4 more ranked between 5th -15th (132, 170, 182, 195); 1 ranked in Semi-State only (285) -- 6 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:   None //  The 'Rodney Dangerfield' of Team State.  Personally I believe Carmel to be very dangerous with enough athletes to make it difficult for any team to beat them.  Outside of their only loss this season (29-27), they have decimated their competition with the closest dual being a 25 point victory.  Extremely well coached and intelligent wrestlers, they typically will not 'beat themselves'.  They are better than the individual rankings indicate, look for them to pull off an upset along the way.

• Portage: State ranking --  2 wrestlers in top 4 (113, 160), and 3 more ranked between 5th -15th (120, 126, 132); 2 ranked in Semi-State only (106, 152) -- 7 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:  113 (2x), 126 (2x),132, 160  //  1 Returning State Champ  //  Portage is strong where Portage is strong, which means don't expect to beat them where they have a ranked wrestler participating.  In order for them to pull the upset they will need to accumulate points from 113 - 132, 152 & 160 and pull off a few surprises at the other weights.  The program has a reputation of being one of the best in the state for a very good reason, and underestimating this group will give a team headaches for the remainder of the day.

POTENTIAL MATCHES:

106 Suhas Chundi - Carmel (#4) vs Alec Freeman EMD (#7)

113 Jacob Moran - Portage (#1) vs Cole Ross - EMD (#4)

120 Ty Haskins - Portage (#15) vs Blake Boarman - EMD (#2) 

126 Brook Peele - Portage (#5) vs Kane Egil - EMD (#7)

132 Ricky Hegedus - Portage (#9) vs Kyle Holman - Carmel (#14) vs Clay Egil - EMD (#10)

160 Donnell Washington - Portage (#1) vs Gabe Sollars - EMD (#9)

170 Logan Hart - Carmel (#5) vs MaCartney Parkinson - EMD (#7)

** I will do the other 2 pools sometime in the next 24 hours....sorry for any mistakes.

• #3 Warren Central: State ranking -- 3 wrestlers in top 4 (113, 145, 152), 5 ranked between 5th - 14th (106, 120, 126, 138, 160); 3 ranked in Semi-State only (132, 195, 285) -- 11 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:  113, 138, 145  //  They are my dark-horse to bring home the crown, if you can call the 3-seed a dark-horse.  I have watched this team 10+ times over the last 2 years and they never lack on effort / determination.  Jim has done an outstanding job keeping the east side school moving in the right direction.  Their 3 point loss to Cathedral, back on 12-1-18, illustrates how good this team is from 106-285.  Their path will be loaded with potential roadblocks, but as a great person once said (I think they were great) -- "Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey".   

• #6 Roncalli: State ranking -- 2 wrestlers in top 4 (120, 132), 5 more ranked between 6th -14th (106, 126, 138, 170, 285) -- 7 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:  120 (2x), 132 (2x), 138, 170  //  1 Previous State Champ //  The Rebels are good, actually they are very good, that just walked through the Spartan Classic in Connersville with 7 Champs.  At one point or another 10 wrestlers have been ranked in the NCSS which is an indication of their team strength.  Runner-up to Warren Central at the Marion County Tournament, they will be ready on Saturday to do battle on the mat.  No doubt having Warren and Columbus East in their pool will push them to their limits but you know what they say, "To be the best you need to beat the best"... Carpe Diem Rebels!

• Columbus East: State ranking -- 4 wrestlers in top 4 (138, 170, 220, 285), 1 more ranked at 7th (152), 2 ranked in Semi-State only (106, 126) -- 7 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience: 138 (2x), 152 (2x), 170, 220 //  1 Returning State Champ, 1 Returning Runner-up who was a previous State Champ // With 1/2 of their team ranked it is clear the Olympians have the firepower to win, which was evidenced by their Runner-up performance in the Al Smith Tournament last weekend.  Although they are unseeded they were considered to be in the top 8 by many of the posters on IndianaMat; I could see them having a little extra motivation when they hit the mat this weekend.  

POTENTIAL MATCHES:

106 Kody Glithero - Roncalli (#14) vs Carleton Perry - Warren Central (#10) 

120 Brayden Lowery - Roncalli (#4) vs Chris Stewart - Warren Central (#10)

126 Sam Slivka - Roncalli (#14) vs Jevian Ross - Warren Central (#10)

138 Tyce Freije - Roncalli (#6) vs Cayden Rooks - Columbus East (#1) vs Jarred Rowlett - Warren Central (#14)

152 Jake Schoenegge - Columbus East (#7) vs Brice Coleman - Warren Central (#4)

170 Elijah Mahan - Roncalli (#6) vs Nick South - Columbus East (#1)

285 John Harris - Roncalli (#7) vs Dalton Anderson - Columbus East (#4)

• #4 Brownsburg: State ranking -- 2 wrestlers in top 4 (138, 220), 6 ranked between 6th - 15th (106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 160, 170, 285), 1 ranked in Semi-State only (145) -- 11 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:  120, 132 (2x), 138  //  Teams should take notice that the Bulldogs have a wrestler ranked at every weight between 106 - 145 and they pick it up again at 160 with 4 more in the backside of the lineup.  Not many, if any, holes exist in this lineup and they are battle tested by participating in tournaments located in Michigan and Ohio in the last month.  They will compete extremely well in the Coliseum and it would not shock me if they are able to bring home the hardware once again.      

• #5 Perry Meridian: State ranking -- 2 wrestlers in top 4 (106, 145), 4 more ranked between 6th -16th (138, 152, 170, 220), 1 ranked in Semi-State only (113) -- 7 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:  106, 145, 152, 170  //  2 Returning State Runner-up //  One of the most successful programs in Indiana the Falcons have a niche to reload year after year with quality wrestlers...this year is no different.  Faced with a very challenging schedule Perry has done well holding their own with the best teams in the State, which included leading the Wildcats (in Evansville) with 2 matches to go.  Look for that type of performance again when they take the mat on Saturday. 

• Northridge: State ranking -- 2 ranked in Semi-State only (120, 160) -- 2 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience: None // The Raiders of Northridge is the unknown factor at Team State.  Last weekend they competed well at the Al Smith Tournament, placing 3 kids in the Top 8 with an additional 4 wrestlers gaining at least 2 victories in the extremely difficult event.  They have many kids with outstanding records (18-2, 21-3, 24-1, 16-4, 13-4, 17-3, 14-4, 8-2, 14-5, 16-5, 18-6), no doubt they will get their opportunity to shine with the 4 teams they are going to face in Fort Wayne.

POTENTIAL MATCHES:

106 Alex Cottey - Perry Meridian (#1) vs Logan Miller - Brownsburg (11)

138 Gabriel Smith - Perry Meridian (#12) vs Drew Kreitzer - Brownsburg (#3)

170 Brooks Davis - Perry Meridian (#12) vs Thierry Jean-Baptiste - Brownsburg (#15)

220 Austin Lane - Perry Meridian (#16) vs Lawson Aiken - Brownsburg (#3)

17 hours ago, Indysportsfan said:
  • #7 Carmel: State ranking --  1 wrestler in top 4 (106), and 4 more ranked between 5th -15th (132, 170, 182, 195); 1 ranked in Semi-State only (285) -- 6 TOTAL

Individual State Finals experience:   None //  The 'Rodney Dangerfield' of Team State.  Personally I believe Carmel to be very dangerous with enough athletes to make it difficult for any team to beat them.  Outside of their only loss this season (29-27), they have decimated their competition with the closest dual being a 25 point victory.  Extremely well coached and intelligent wrestlers, they typically will not 'beat themselves'.  They are better than the individual rankings indicate, look for them to pull off an upset along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phagxOal7_A

The Rodney Dangerfield of Team State?  

1 hour ago, Ed Pendoski said:

It’s more Rodney in Back to School than Caddyshack. I’m convinced you have a Triple Lindy tucked away in that svelte frame anyway. Probably the real reason Carmel brought you in. A back door hire to diving coach..

Edited by IndianaWrestlingGuy1

Just good to see Carmel make it. A school of that size and make up should be a powerhouse year in and year out. Don’t know why schools like Ben Davis and Carmel are not on top every year. Any insight of why these schools are not top 10 consistently? 

Edited by Mattyb

1 hour ago, Ed Pendoski said:

Not the Rodney in your video coach, the Rodney that published a book “It’s not easy bein’ me” as well as his mantra “I get no respect”.  No matter how well the school does, people expect more.

3 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Just good to see Carmel make it. A school of that size and make up should be a powerhouse year in and year out. Don’t know why schools like Ben Davis and Carmel are not on top every year. Any insight of why these schools are not top 10 consistently? 

youth programs might not be on par with the rest of the schools is only reason I can think of..carmels is getting better but I have no clue about why ben Davis can't even fill a team. 

2 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

youth programs might not be on par with the rest of the schools is only reason I can think of..carmels is getting better but I have no clue about why ben Davis can't even fill a team. 

Yea.... that’s because Avon, Brownsburg, Plainfield Wrestling own the Westside of Naptown . 

The Notorious

5 hours ago, Mattyb said:

I was happy for Carmel also Matt.  Coach P being a close friend of mine, I’m aware of a lot of the issues he’s had to persevere through to begin getting things aligned in a way that breeds success.  I know you’re already aware of what isn’t the problem there.......great coaching.  

Admittedly......I don’t know the Ben Davis staff.  So I can only speak on Ben Davis alum’s Coach Gill, and his commitment to CIA.  I rarely use the word “friend”, because REAL ones are hard to find.  But ironically.....both Gill & Ed are more comparable to family, than just friendship.  So in Gill’s case......I’d bet my bank account that when/if he ever decides to slow down his commitment to pumping out D1 wrestlers at CIA, and throw his hat into the high school head coaching arena, that programs struggles would improve significantly.  No disrespect to BD’s current staff.  Again, I don’t know them.  So I speak namely about the aforementioned line-up issues.....and obviously based on my experience of how Gill (and Eppert) has helped cultivate my son into one of the top wrestling prospects in the country.

Just my 2 cents.  I know I’m preaching to the choir here Matt.  I’m confident your post had nothing to do with those guys specifically.  You’ve always been too stand-up for that in all of our interaction throughout the years.  But let’s face it......many people who are unaware of your subjectivity on the matter, may raise eyebrows and get the wrong idea about what you’re implying.  So I felt led to not only give clarity about 2 of only 5 individuals I genuinely call “friend”, but to also validate your character on the matter brother. 👍🏻  Look forward to catching up with you and Garcia on Sat. 

1 hour ago, TeamGarcia said:

Yea.... that’s because Avon, Brownsburg, Plainfield Wrestling own the Westside of Naptown . 

The Notorious

Beep beep. 

I’ll remind all of you what EdP, Northside Indy, and Hamilton County deal with in spades: Vaginitis. Little Johnny doesn’t get a bloody nose perhaps in his whole life unless he wrestles. No bike or skateboard accidents....they’re in the basement playing Fortnight. They’re on the iPad getting an allowance to make their bed.

The Carmel life is real and it’s an epidemic. I fight it daily with some youngster programs, but the struggle is real with these middle class kids. Kopnisky finally threw in the towel at Carmel. Most of the north side Indy schools are grinding to keep kids in the sport. Lacrosse, boys’ volleyball, and a slew of other sports are decimating wrestling. The CYO in Indianapolis has added 140 boys’ volleyball teams in competition with wrestling in the last 3 years. So, CoachP and many of us in Indy are marketing our asses off to preserve the sport. It might feel good for “The County” and the Indy County teams, but it is an assault to the sport. 

We’ll make it at Cathedral because we’ll find great, committed kids. However, I fear for the 75 kids in K-4 that end up prancing off to volleyball in 5th grade. Give me a violin, perhaps, but our sons are getting weaker. It pisses me off. 

Eric, thanks for your reply. And..... your 100 percent right. Wasn’t knocking any coach. I truely am looking forward to seeing what the Greyhounds can bring to team state. I was just curious to what the masses think as to why these large heavily populated schools were not pumping out monster teams that match the schools sizes and resources. Your reply and the no punches held back response above are what I was looking for. As someone that has worked pretty hard to grow the sport, feedback like wrestling guys is what I’m interested in. 

Edited by Mattyb

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Beep beep. 

I’ll remind all of you what EdP, Northside Indy, and Hamilton County deal with in spades: Vaginitis. Little Johnny doesn’t get a bloody nose perhaps in his whole life unless he wrestles. No bike or skateboard accidents....they’re in the basement playing Fortnight. They’re on the iPad getting an allowance to make their bed.

The Carmel life is real and it’s an epidemic. I fight it daily with some youngster programs, but the struggle is real with these middle class kids. Kopnisky finally threw in the towel at Carmel. Most of the north side Indy schools are grinding to keep kids in the sport. Lacrosse, boys’ volleyball, and a slew of other sports are decimating wrestling. The CYO in Indianapolis has added 140 boys’ volleyball teams in competition with wrestling in the last 3 years. So, CoachP and many of us in Indy are marketing our asses off to preserve the sport. It might feel good for “The County” and the Indy County teams, but it is an assault to the sport. 

We’ll make it at Cathedral because we’ll find great, committed kids. However, I fear for the 75 kids in K-4 that end up prancing off to volleyball in 5th grade. Give me a violin, perhaps, but our sons are getting weaker. It pisses me off. 

YES !........... Stat Guru, now this Masterpiece ! 

The Notorious 

Edited by TeamGarcia
Spell Check

21 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Eric, thanks for your reply. And..... your 100 percent right. Wasn’t knocking any coach. I truely am looking forward to seeing what the Greyhounds can bring to team state. I was just curious to what the masses think as to why these large heavily populated schools were not pumping out monster teams that match the schools sizes and resources. Your reply and the no punches held back response above are what I was looking for. As someone that has worked pretty hard to grow the sport, feedback like wrestling guys is what I’m interested in. 

Let’s not pretend that your post was anything less than a BS, passive aggressive shot at Carmel and/or Coach P.  I’m not sure of the motive behind it (other than sour grapes), but please don’t hide behind some humblebrag quest to better understand how to promote wrestling. Changing a culture and popularizing wrestling in a school that wins state title after state title in every other sport doesn’t happen over night...but I think that you probably already know that. It’s a long road, but Carmel wrestling is certainly on the right track. Carmel has a young, talented team that has earned its spot at team state.  I look forward to watching them compete. 

Good luck Greyhounds!

1 hour ago, meiteljorge said:
Let’s not pretend that your post was anything less than a BS, passive aggressive shot at Carmel and/or Coach P.  I’m not sure of the motive behind it (other than sour grapes), but please don’t hide behind some humblebrag quest to better understand how to promote wrestling. Changing a culture and popularizing wrestling in a school that wins state title after state title in every other sport doesn’t happen over night...but I think that you probably already know that. It’s a long road, but Carmel wrestling is certainly on the right track. Carmel has a young, talented team that has earned its spot at team state.  I look forward to watching them compete. 

Good luck Greyhounds!

Nope.... just nope. I seriously just am curious of why our largest and what I  perceive as our “best” schools are not dominating. Clearly it goes way beyond coaching as it is very clear to us all that coach P is a great coach. I think he’s great. Im sure that we all agree on that. 

But I have always shot you straight when we have spoke in person. Nothing changes when I’m on this forum. Feel free to express how I’m bs or humblebrag (whatever that is) when you see me next time. 

Edited by Mattyb

1 hour ago, Mattyb said:

Nope.... just nope. I seriously just am curious of why our largest and what I  perceive as our “best” schools are not dominating. Clearly it goes way beyond coaching as it is very clear to us all that coach P is a great coach. I think he’s great. Im sure that we all agree on that. 

But I have always shot you straight when we have spoke in person. Nothing changes when I’m on this forum. Feel free to express how I’m bs or humblebrag (whatever that is) when you see me next time. 

I don’t know of many schools with a line-up of 0 previous state qualifiers that are ranked in the top 10. Vaginitis who? #buildinganarmy 

17 hours ago, Anonymous said:

I don’t know of many schools with a line-up of 0 previous state qualifiers that are ranked in the top 10. Vaginitis who? #buildinganarmy 

Wrong person.... never said that. That would be the greatness that is Indiana Wrestling Guy. He’s great with stats. With that said, I’m sure that he appreciates your stat! 

35 minutes ago, NeverStradle said:

What is the point of this if the individual state tournament still determines the team state champion?

It's just to see who the best dual team is since the IHSAA took the dual meet portion of the state tournament out of the state series. The individual state will determine who the best "tournament team" is. It's been this way since 2012-2013.

On 1/1/2019 at 12:29 PM, Mattyb said:

It’s kind of like asking why hasn’t Avon won a high school state title. They  consistently have the best elementary team. They have won almost every elementary state, won middle school state, and have several triple crown winners. It’s also in <Pound Sign>HendricksCountySmellsFunny

Edited by Mr.Claus

16 minutes ago, Mr.Claus said:

It’s kind of like asking why hasn’t Avon won a high school state title. They  consistently have the best elementary team. They have won almost every elementary state, won middle school state, and have several triple crown winners. It’s also in <Pound Sign>HendricksCountySmellsFunny

I agree 100 percent. Not satisfied for sure. Your point is 100 percent valid. So is mine.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.