Mater Dei Holiday Classic 12/28-29

SWINfan

Rankings by weight class.  Note: Nashville Father Ryan is in Tennessee's D2 class which is made up of private/parochial schools.  Lawrence Co. TN is  in AAA, the state's largest class.  Belleville West and Downer's Grove South are in Illinois D3 which is their large school classification.  Kentucky, like Indiana is not classed.

1. Chris Newman Mt. Vernon - #5 Eville SS
2. Brooks McAfee Father Ryan - #5 TN  State @113 
3. Alec Freeman Mater Dei - #7 State, #2 Eville SS
4. Matthew Meyer St. Xavier - #10 KY State
5. Trayce Eckman Union Co - #11 KY State

1. Cole Ross Mater Dei - #4 State, #1 Eville SS
2. Gavin Alstott Floyd Central - #6 State, #2 Eville SS
3. Josh Koderhandt Belleville West - #3 State 
4. Calvin Eason Father Ryan - #4 State @106

1. Blake Boarman Mater Dei - #2 State, #1 Eville SS
3. Nathan Ohlmann St. Xavier - #6 KY State
4. Austin Hedges Louisville Trinity - #7 KY State @113
5. Matthew Moore Union Co - #17 KY State @113
6. Paul Killian Father Ryan - #3 TN State

1. Sam Bacon Union County - #2 KY State
2. Kane Egli Mater Dei - #7 State, #2 Eville SS

1. Clay Egli Mater Dei - #10 State, #4 Eville SS
2. Gabe Adams Union Co - #2 KY State
3. Luke Dezember Lawrence Co TN - #2 KY State @126
4. Tyler Fuqua Franklin Community - #16 State, #4 Eville SS @138 
5. Griffin Habacker Father Ryan - #3 TN State @126
6. Christian Polen Gibson Southern - #7 Eville SS

1. Blaine Mayer Mater Dei - #13 State
3. Trevor Pogue Union Co - #10 KY State
4. Zachary Pledger St. Xavier - #5 KY State @132
Unseeded Ty Lehman Louisville Trinity - #11 KY State - wrestled for Maurer Coughlin and had a 3rd Place finish at both ISWA Freestyle and Greco in 2017 - Cadet 132 (including a win over Kane Egli)

1. Matt Lee Mater Dei - #1 State, #1 Eville SS
2. Payne Carr Union Co - #2 KY State
3. Robert Major Downers Grove South - #4 IL State
4. Jonathan Kervin Floyd Central - #8 State, #4 Eville SS
5. Nathan Wheeler St. Xavier - #3 KY State

1. Eli Dickens Mater Dei - #8 State, #3 Eville SS
2. Dalton Russelburg Union Co - #8 KY State

1. Stephen Little Union Co - #3 KY State
2. Lawrence Madson Father Ryan - #1 TN State
3. Logan Johnson Belleville West - #6 IL State
4. Clay Singleton Gibson Southern - #6 Eville SS
5. Gabe Sollars Mater Dei - #9 State, #4 Eville SS

1. Micah Ervin Union Co - #1 KY State
2. Macartney Parkinson Mater Dei - #7 State, #2 Eville SS
3. Parker Peterson Father Ryan - #2 TN State

2. Dakx Lannert Mater Dei - #8 Eville SS
4. Henry Hagey Father Ryan - #5 TN State

1. Kane Kleoudis Father Ryan - #3 TN State
2. Luke McGennis Mt. Vernon - #5 Eville SS
4. Jackson Hussung Floyd Central - #8 Eville SS

1. Matthias Ervin Union Co - #1 KY State
2. Ben DePriest St. Xavier - #2 KY State
3. Macray Robinson Gibson Southern - #6 Eville SS

1. Felix Wilson Father Ryan - #5 TN State
4. Aaron Brievogel Gibson Southern - #7 Eville SS

NOTES:
Louisville Trinity #1 Ranked @195 Kadin Kulmer is not entered.
Father Ryan has ranked wrestlers at 132, 138, 145 and 152 not entered.  

55 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Starts at 11:00 Evansville time on Friday. Then  shows 9:30 Saturday.

Go to trackwrestling for the even and hit information.  

I'm confused... I did exactly that and this is what it shows.... To clarify, this is what the Track Wrestling Event Schedule shows.  MD's Website page shows 11:00.  Maybe weigh-ins start at 9?

Event Schedule

12/28/2018 (09:00 a.m. - 08:00 p.m. CT)
Day 1:

12/29/2018 (09:00 a.m. - 08:00 p.m. CT)
Evansville Mater Dei: Streams
Edited by SWINfan
more info

From the event flyer I was sent

TIME SCHEDULE: 

DEC. 28 Weigh-In 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. (C.S.T.)
1st Session 11:00 a.m. 
Wrestling will be continuous, with breaks only to allow for rest time for wrestlers.

DEC. 29 Weigh-In 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. 
1st Session 9:30 a.m.
Wrestling will be continuous, with breaks only to allow for rest time for wrestler

54 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

Correction below.....

Father Ryan 152 lb #4 ranked Andrew Nelson not entered.  The others (132 - 145) are entered but bumped up one weight from their rankings.

NOTES:
Louisville Trinity #1 Ranked @195 Kadin Kulmer is not entered.
Father Ryan has ranked wrestlers at 132, 138, 145 and 152 not entered.  

3 hours ago, SIwrestling said:

It’s ironic, Mater Dei seems to use the same tactics year in and year out at their own tournament. First round pig tail matches for two of their one seeds? That’s an easy four pins compared to some guys with byes to the quarters. Brackets are slowly being released. 

Albeit, Mater Dei is usually pretty loaded so those extra pins they seem to get really don’t matter as the team points are usually out of hand between them and the 2nd place team. 

Out of 8 classes that have pigtails, MD has 3 wrestlers in one, including Matthew Woodruff at 285 who is unseeded and his pigtail feeds into the #1 seed.  

2 hours ago, SIwrestling said:

Confused at seeding criteria. If the top criteria was last years state placement, some of these look off. 

I looked at them and a few classes that seem puzzling.  According to the criteria it is supposed to be: State Placement, MD Classic 1st or 2nd Place, 5 matches minimum, winning % and # of wins, with head to head factored in.

@126 Sam Bacon (#1 seed) finished 2nd at State, No Placement at MD Holiday, and a 22-2 record.  Kane Egli (#2 seed) DNQ for State, Finished 1st at MD Holiday and has a 13-4 record.  That follows posted criteria. No head to head between them.

@132 Clay Egli (#1 seed) DNQ for State. Finished 1st at MD Holiday and has a 9-4 record.  Gabe Adams (#2 seed) finished 2nd at State, DNP at MD Holiday and has a 21-3 record.  Adams with the State placement and higher win % and higher # of wins should be first seed as was followed at 126.

@138  Blaine Mayer gets top seed with no state qualification, no placement at MD Holiday and a 12-5 record.  #2 seed has the same but an 18-2 record.  #3 seed was a state qualifier, no placement at MD Holiday and a 24-1 record.  Based on the criteria and how they did 126, not sure how Trevor Pogue is not the top seed.

3 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I looked at them and a few classes that seem puzzling.  According to the criteria it is supposed to be: State Placement, MD Classic 1st or 2nd Place, 5 matches minimum, winning % and # of wins, with head to head factored in.

@126 Sam Bacon (#1 seed) finished 2nd at State, No Placement at MD Holiday, and a 22-2 record.  Kane Egli (#2 seed) DNQ for State, Finished 1st at MD Holiday and has a 13-4 record.  That follows posted criteria. No head to head between them.

@132 Clay Egli (#1 seed) DNQ for State. Finished 1st at MD Holiday and has a 9-4 record.  Gabe Adams (#2 seed) finished 2nd at State, DNP at MD Holiday and has a 21-3 record.  Adams with the State placement and higher win % and higher # of wins should be first seed as was followed at 126.

@138  Blaine Mayer gets top seed with no state qualification, no placement at MD Holiday and a 12-5 record.  #2 seed has the same but an 18-2 record.  #3 seed was a state qualifier, no placement at MD Holiday and a 24-1 record.  Based on the criteria and how they did 126, not sure how Trevor Pogue is not the top seed.

Refer back to Hooks post, lol. It’s clear that EMD has this set up to prevail. 

9 hours ago, SWINfan said:

I’d like to know how the Mater Dei guys justified that. I see where Union has a pig tail at 160 with Kraeszig. Union has the top seed there, and Kraeszig beat Little last year at this tournament. Some shady matches and seeding right out of the gate. Kraeszig is currently ranked #5 in Kentucky at 152 and Little is #3 at 160. 

Going to be some exciting matches this weekend! One of the best tournaments in the state. 

I could be wrong, but I believe this is ran on trackwrestling, as well as the seed meeting. I don't think Mater Dei has any control over the brackets. All the coaches seed the Top 6 based off tournament criteria, and then the rest of the bracket is computer generated by a click of a button. Correct me if I am wrong?

5 hours ago, FCFIGHTER170 said:

Parkinson will beat Ervin im calling it.. young man has really turned the corner and has beaten some down right killers at ihpo and in season.. plus losing a close 1 to Shelter solidifies that..Ervin is a stud but the length and funk Parkinson brings is devastating at 170.

I don’t think so

19 minutes ago, SWSpectator said:

I could be wrong, but I believe this is ran on trackwrestling, as well as the seed meeting. I don't think Mater Dei has any control over the brackets. All the coaches seed the Top 6 based off tournament criteria, and then the rest of the bracket is computer generated by a click of a button. Correct me if I am wrong?

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification on that. 

1 hour ago, SWSpectator said:

What TW shows supports that.  The only seeds that are highlighted are 1-6.  I'm assuming the rest are random draws.

3 minutes ago, Indysportsfan said:

Kraeszig was unseeded but he is ranked #5 in Kentucky and beat the #1 seed last year in this event?  Am I reading that correctly.

Correct. That whole situation doesn't seem right to me. Oh well. Good win for him, and hurts for Union's chances at pulling off an upset. Someone needs to tell MD to fix Camera 3 on track video. 

Kraeszig was unseeded with only 6 wins on the year.  He did not place 1st or 2nd at the MD Classic last year, did not qualify for state so he fell behind some of the others.  They only seeded to 6, it seems. Looks like drawing Little in a pigtail is just a random deal...

6 minutes ago, SIwrestling said:

Someone needs to tell MD to fix Camera 3 on track video. 

I have a ticket in with TW on that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.