Mater Dei Holiday Classic 12/28-29

SWINfan

The MD Classic has had some reshuffling of teams in the past couple of years and this year is no different.  There are 5 new teams with only New Palestine dropping out making it a 19* tean field.  I'll leave the full preview to Hook and Half.  But if anyone has any info on any of the out of state teams, please add in this thread.

*Note: Lawrence Co. Tennessee returns, but only sends one wrestler, as they did last year.  Luke Dezember returns to the classic.  I believe he has roots/family in Union County Kentucky so he's a bit of a lone wolf for his school.  He finished 2nd at 126 last year.

The new teams are: 

Downers's Grove South (Illinois)
Nashville Father Ryan (Tennessee)
Floyd Central
Indian Creek
Vincennes Lincoln

Returning Teams:

Mater Dei
Union County (Kentucky)
Louisville St. Xavier (Kentucky)
Franklin Community
Belleville West (Illinois)
New Albany
Gibson Southern
North Posey
Evansville Memorial
Tell City
Louisville Trinity (Kentucky)
Sullivan
Mt. Vernon (Posey)
Lawrence County (Tennessee) - see above

Took a quick peek at the Illinois rankings for Belleville West and Downers Grove South.

Belleville West:

113 3A #3 - Josh Koderhandt

120 3A Honorable mention - Lamont Barnes

160 3A #7 - Logan Johnson

Downer's Grove South

126 3A HM - Matt Straus

138 3A HM -  Dylan Knoch

145 3A #6 - Robert Major

152 3A HM - Jeff Nugent

Neither team is ranked in 3A in Illinois.

Kentucky Rankings:

#1 Union County

106 #12 - Trayce Eckman

113 #17 - Matthew Moore

126 #2 Sam Bacon

132 #2 Gabe Adams

138 #11 Trevor Pogue

145 #2 Payne Carr

152 #7 Dalton Russelburn

160 #9 Stephen Little

170 #1 Michah Ervin

182 #15 Darius Moore

220 #1 Mathias Ervin

#6 St. Xavier

106 #11 Matthew Meyer

113 #21 Conner Helgeson

120 #7 Nathan Ohlman

132 #5 Zach Pledger

145 #3 Nate wheeler

152 #5 Jimmy Kraezig

170 #24 Everett Marrett

220 #7 Benjamin Deprest

#11 Trinity

113 #5 Austin Hedges

138 #12 Ty Lehman

145 #4 Landon Lenhardt

170 #11 Jon Gaudin

195 #1 Kadin Kulmer

220 #16 R Lee Waggener

I took a look at Tennessee and Father Ryan is in their D2 class, which appears to be all private/Christian schools.  All 14 of FR's wrestlers are ranked in the top 6 of their weight class, with 160 lb. Lawrence Madison #1.  All of the others were between 3-6.  Father Ryan was State Dual Champions in 2018.

I have no idea at what level their D2 class is compared to their public school classes and Tennessee wrestling is not up to the level Indiana is so not sure how they'll compete.  I know they used to come to the Classic but haven't been for several years.  Will be curious to see how they fit in with Belleville, Union Co., & St. Xavier.  Ditto Downer's Grove.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:14 PM, SWINfan said:

The MD Classic has had some reshuffling of teams in the past couple of years and this year is no different.  There are 5 new teams with only New Palestine dropping out making it a 19* tean field.  I'll leave the full preview to Hook and Half.  But if anyone has any info on any of the out of state teams, please add in this thread.

*Note: Lawrence Co. Tennessee returns, but only sends one wrestler, as they did last year.  Luke Dezember returns to the classic.  I believe he has roots/family in Union County Kentucky so he's a bit of a lone wolf for his school.  He finished 2nd at 126 last year.

The new teams are: 

Downers's Grove South (Illinois)
Nashville Father Ryan (Tennessee)
Floyd Central
Indian Creek
Vincennes Lincoln

Returning Teams:

Mater Dei
Union County (Kentucky)
Louisville St. Xavier (Kentucky)
Franklin Community
Belleville West (Illinois)
New Albany
Gibson Southern
North Posey
Evansville Memorial
Tell City
Louisville Trinity (Kentucky)
Sullivan
Mt. Vernon (Posey)
Lawrence County (Tennessee) - see above

I believe Luke Dezember’s dad Mike and Uncle Bob Dezember wrestled for Mater Dei back in the 80’s. If it is who I think it is.

On 12/18/2018 at 4:08 PM, MD92 said:

I'm guessing Father Ryan will be middle of the pack.  I see it as a 2 horse race between MD and UC.  Everybody else is fighting for 3rd.

Don't sleep on st x the won the big school state duals last year. UC won the small school duals then the coaches challenged each other in exhibition after the tournement and UC won that.

It is good to see Father Ryan in competition again with Mater Dei.  20 years ago, this month, Mater Dei and Father Ryan has a serious falling out!

In 1998, Mater Dei lost its first dual or tournament, for the first time in nearly four years, finishing second at the 32-team Father Ryan Holiday Classic.  Mater Dei’s previous loss was to Central in the 1994 Southern Indiana Athletic Conference Tournament.

"I don't want it to sound like I'm making any alibis; Father Ryan wrestled well," said Mike Goebel, "But the luck of the draw didn't help us at all.  We had ten first-round byes, while Father Ryan got a bunch of pins in the first round. That right there might've made the difference because when we wrestled them, we did real well."

Goebel had a point.  In ten head-to-head match-ups with Father Ryan, Mater Dei won eight.  The Wildcats had six champions while Father Ryan counted two.  Injuries were costly.  Brandon Boots defaulted the championship match at 145 pounds and Tom Jankowski defaulted in the semifinal match of the consolation bracket at 189, settling for sixth.  Mater Dei's champions included Curtis VanNess with a pin in the final, Greg Schaefer, Dan Jankowski, with a 10-8 overtime win, B.J. Hauke with an 11-1 major decision, Mike Bishop and Mike Schroeder.  Greg Schaefer was named the tournament's outstanding wrestler.

"It was a weird tourney," said Goebel. "Things just didn't go our way in the team race, but it's not like we didn't wrestle well. I was pleased; the effort was there. We just didn't win this one."

Evansville Courier sports writer, Steve Ford, was less diplomatic than Goebel, calling the loss “An abomination”.  Ford claimed that Father Ryan “Appeared to have stacked the deck” in its favor in order to win its own tournament.  The flap did not end there.  Father Ryan’s athletic director, Stephen Williams, fired off a letter to Ford, criticizing him for his choice of words.  Williams demanded an apology from Ford for accusing his school of “Cheating.”  Ford answered the charges stating that he never used the word “Cheat”.  For his part, in the spirit of ending the controversy, Ford apologized for using the words “Appeared to stack the deck”. 

Edited by hook and half

It’s ironic, Mater Dei seems to use the same tactics year in and year out at their own tournament. First round pig tail matches for two of their one seeds? That’s an easy four pins compared to some guys with byes to the quarters. Brackets are slowly being released. 

Albeit, Mater Dei is usually pretty loaded so those extra pins they seem to get really don’t matter as the team points are usually out of hand between them and the 2nd place team. 

Will make an attempt to provide a bit of a preview, starting with 106-145 here shortly.  I'll the rest of the weights later this evening.

@106 Mt. Vernon's Chris Newman earns the #1 seed 1(9-0).  He's followed by Father Ryan's Brooks McAfee (12-1), MD's Alec Freeman (15-2) and Matthew Meyer of Louisville ST. X (7-5).  Meyer earned the #4 seed with a head to head win over Trayce Eckman of Union County (24-2).  He lost a decision to FR's McAfee earlier as well.  Memorial's Kyler West (13-2) is looking to break into the top 4.

@113 the top looks strong.  Mater Dei's Cole Ross (15-0) gets the nod over Floyd Central's Gavin Alstott (20-0).  Both were SQ's in 2017-18. Just behind them is Belleville West's Josh Koderhandt (20-1), ranked #3 in IL's large class 3A.  Looking to break through are Calvin Eason of Father Ryan (16-1) and North Posey's Kameron Kendall (13-5). 

@120 Mater Dei's Blake Boarman should dominate the field.  The rest will be fighting for 2nd Place.

@126 Union Co.'s Sam Bacon (22-2) leads the way followed by MD's Kane Egli (13-4).  Albert Spencer of North Posey (14-4), Gibson Southern's Eric Harpenau (12-2) and a host of others look to make the top 4. 

@132 the field looks deep, if not top end.  MD's Clay Egli (9-4) got the nod for the #1 seed and will be challenged by Union Co''s Gabe Adams (21-3), Lawrence Co. TN's Luke Dezember (17-3), Franklin Community's Tyler Fuqua (11-3). Father Ryan's Griffin Habacker (11-4) and Gibson Southern's Christian Polen (17-2). Dezember with roots in Union Co and Mater Dei, finished 2nd at 126 last year.

@138 Blaine Mayer of Mater Dei (12-5) gets the #1 seed, followed by Trey Mucker of Tell City (18-2), Trevor Pogue of Union Co (24-1) as the top contenders.  Zachary Pledger of Louisville St. Xavier (11-5), New Albany's RJ Johnson (20-4) and Memorial's Aiden Farmer (11-3) look to challenge the top.

@145 the field looks strong.  Mater Dei's Matt Lee gets the #1 nod, but will be challenged by Union Co.'s Payne Carr (19-3), Robert Major of Downer's Grove South, IL (19-0), Floyd Central's Jonathan Kervin (18-0), Nathan Wheeler of St. X (10-2) and Indian Creek's Owen Sego (16-2).  Major is ranked #3 in Illinois largest classification, 3A.  

Edited by SWINfan

More Preview....

@152 MD's Eli Dickens (15-2) leads the way with Union Co.'s Dalton Russelburg (24-1) hoping to take the top spot.  Others looking to make noise are: Tell City's Shane Braunecker (19-4), Mt. Vernon's Brady Hook (14-4), Jeff Nugent of Downer's Grove South IL (18-6) and Gibson Southern's Drew Dillbeck (15-5).

@160 Union County's Stephen Little (25-1) earns the #1 seed, followed Lawrence Madison of Father Ryan (11-5), Logan Johnson of Belleville West IL (19-2) and Gibson Southern's Clay Singleton (17-2) round out the top 4 seeds.  Looking to bust those up are Mater Dei's Gabe Sollars (10-5) and North Posey's Wyatt Willman (16-2).

@170 it looks like a two horse race between #1 seed Micah Ervin of Union Co (23-2) and Mater Dei's Macartney Parkinson (16-1).  With Ervin's two losses at the Iron Man and Parkinson's lone defeat to nationally ranked River Shettler in Michigan, this could be a solid clash.  Father Ryan's Parker Peterson (12-4) looks to stop that battle from happening.

@182 North Posey's Nathan Willman (17-1) takes the top seed.  Mater Dei's Dakx Lannert (8-1), Tell City's Tyler Hawlee (17-5) and Father Ryan's Henry Hagey (12-4) will battle to knock Willman off the top.

@195 is interesting to me with no clear favorite and a deep, yet somewhat unproven field.  Father Ryan's Kane Kleoudis (11-2) gets the top nod with undefeated Luke McGennis of Mount Vernon (19-0) next.  Vincennes Lincoln's Chance Price (20-1), Floyd Central's Jackson Hussung (16-2), Tell City's Kyle Hagedorn (16-3) and Harris Eason of Franklin Community (10-3) make it anyone's to win.  

@220 is top heavy with Union County's Matthias Ervin (24-3) with the #1 slot and undefeated Ben DePriest of St. Xavier (12-0) just behind.  Brent Ricketts of Mt. Vernon (12-3) and Macray Robinson of Gibson Southern (15-3) will try to upset the apple cart.

@285 is again a deep field with lots of possibilities.  The top seed is Felix Wilson of Father Ryan (11-3) followed by Sullivan's Kenton Williams (13-1), Nick Newell of Downer's Grove South (6-1) and Gibson Southern's Aaron Brievogel (15-3).  Others who will battle them are: North Posey's Isaac Myers (15-3), Floyd Central's Jared Wright (16-5) and Dustin Olmstead of Belleville West IL (15-5).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.