12/15 Notable wins and upsets

Caleb Spires

18 minutes ago, Caleb Spires said:

What are some?

132 - Matt Gimson had first period pins over SQs Ricky Haught and Kyle Lawson(unless there were line-up shifts) and a #13 ranked Ohio wrestler.

I could be wrong but I think it was Conner Gimson who beat the #13 ranked kid from Ohio.

106 Perry wc wbd #12 glithero roncalli

106 Perry lbd Cottey 6-1

113 Pierson Major Jefferson LC 

120 Stewart loses decision 3-0 Lowery

120 Stewart fall Price dec

126 Ross major slivka Roncalli 

145 graves loses UTB warren

152 Coleman wbf trent Smith Roncalli and decision 6-2 Sammy fair 

160 Aaron Taylor wbd Harrington nc and Noah baker

195 Bishop dec keesee 

220 Mitchell dec fears Ron

The big surprise of the weekend was Mater Dei reserve Brody Baumann at 113 knocking off the #1 seed and Michigan State Placer by fall, pinning another Michigan SQ, then beating Brownsburg's KT Nelson to make it an all-Mater Dei Final.  (Which was forfeited to Cole Ross).

Question is, would the rankers consider adding him to the Top 10 Freshmen list even though he will likely wrestle very little varsity?  I think going into today he had one or two varsity matches.  

Eli Dickens finished 4th, but beat Michigan D3 State Champ, lost 3-2 to Michigan D2 State Champ and lost 6-4 to Michigan's D2 State Runner up in a loaded 152 field.

There were many other solid wins by both MD and Brownsburg wrestlers over State Placers and Qualifiers.  All chronicled in the separate Grappler Gold thread.  It was a great day for the IN teams.

25 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

The big surprise of the weekend was Mater Dei reserve Brody Baumann at 113 knocking off the #1 seed and Michigan State Placer by fall, pinning another Michigan SQ, then beating Brownsburg's KT Nelson to make it an all-Mater Dei Final.  (Which was forfeited to Cole Ross).

Question is, would the rankers consider adding him to the Top 10 Freshmen list even though he will likely wrestle very little varsity?  I think going into today he had one or two varsity matches.  

Eli Dickens finished 4th, but beat Michigan D3 State Champ, lost 3-2 to Michigan D2 State Champ and lost 6-4 to Michigan's D2 State Runner up in a loaded 152 field.

There were many other solid wins by both MD and Brownsburg wrestlers over State Placers and Qualifiers.  All chronicled in the separate Grappler Gold thread.  It was a great day for the IN teams.

MD 113 backup taking Brownsburg starter is biggest "upset" in my book

4 minutes ago, PhillyFanMD said:

MD 113 backup taking Brownsburg starter is biggest "upset" in my book

Not really. On any other team he’d probably be a starter. EMD is just that deep down low. From what I’ve heard, he generally wins vs KT. No knock on KT though as he’s a gifted wrestler himself. 

Myself, I really enjoyed the Fulks/Carr matchup. Carr looked bigger but Fulks grinded out a very exciting win. Got a late takedown to force the overtime then hit the same move to win it. The Harrison gym erupted

5 minutes ago, 1prouddad said:

Not really. On any other team he’d probably be a starter. EMD is just that deep down low. From what I’ve heard, he generally wins vs KT. No knock on KT though as he’s a gifted wrestler himself. 

Myself, I really enjoyed the Fulks/Carr matchup. Carr looked bigger but Fulks grinded out a very exciting win. Got a late takedown to force the overtime then hit the same move to win it. The Harrison gym erupted

I dug around a little bit thinking the same thing.  In Track profiles I found two wins apiece against each other.  I didn't pay attention to whether they were folk, free, or greco matches.  Remember KT is from Evansville and just recently moved to Brownsburg.  Both trained at Maurer Coughlin so there is probably a ton of history between the two.  Both excellent wrestlers as freshmen, it just happens that Mater Dei is crowded at the lower weights.

Prairie Heights individual results from Saturday:

152 #16 Isiah Levitz  dec. #8 Eric Heistand 9-4

145 (FW SS #3) Ryan Rasler dec. #7 Logan Macklin 8-7

145 (FW SS #3) Ryan Rasler dec. Aaron McKinley (FW SS #2) 6-2

195 (FW SS #8) Jon Messer pinned (FW SS 220 #8) Tyson Enis :59 at 195

Edited by rookie78

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.