Brownsburg/Mater Dei go for Grappler Gold - Dec 15

SWINfan

Pre-Seeds announced

https://www.michigangrappler.com/news_article/show/977470

Still thrown by Jacob Pierson for MD at 182. Any MD guys have info?  Has he wrestled this year?   Every time I've seen anything it has been Lannert.

Top Seeds from Indiana:
120 Blake Boarman
132 Drake Campbell
145 Matt Lee
220 Lawson Aiken

Edited by SWINfan

Nice round for B-burg.  The bulldogs only lose two first round matches.

Mater Dei gets all 14 through.  Freshman reserve Brody Baumann come up HUGE.  He takes a 5-0 lead going in to the third and sticks the number one seed. 

Blaine Mayer puts a first period pin on the five seed.

Least meaningful piece of data you will read today:  Mater Dei leads after the first round.

Nice that MD can enter two in the same class.  Baumann takes :26 to get a fall in the quarterfinal.  Cole Ross wins 4-0 to give Mater Dei two in the semifinals at 113, on opposite sides of the bracket. @106 Alec Freeman wins by fall in the quarterfinals, setting up a semifinal match against nationally ranked Casey Swiderski.  Freeman beat Swiderski in the 2017 Grappler Fall Classic at 100 lbs.

Brownsburg's 106 Logan Miller goes down by fall to #4 seed Jacob Brya of St. John's.  @113 KT Nelson handles the $5 seed 10-4 to move to the semifinals.

17 minutes ago, hook and half said:

Nice round for B-burg.  The bulldogs only lose two first round matches.

Mater Dei gets all 14 through.  Freshman reserve Brody Baumann come up HUGE.  He takes a 5-0 lead going in to the third and sticks the number one seed. 

Blaine Mayer puts a first period pin on the five seed.

Least meaningful piece of data you will read today:  Mater Dei leads after the first round.

Slight correction...  with Baumann and Ross wrestling at 113, it is all 15, not 14  :)

6 minutes ago, Alias said:

Baumann is wrestling for MD but not counting scoring towards team points.

True, but a win is a win, whether or not it counts on the scoreboard.  Especially when he beats the #1 seed and state placer.  His win actually sets up a semifinal match against Brownsburg's KT Nelson.  I believe the two have wrestled a few times over the years.  I know each has at least one win against the other.

Edited by SWINfan

Mater Dei
@120 Blake Boarman wins by fall.
@126 Kane Egli dops a 14-5 dec to returning State Champ Andrew Chambal
@132 Clay Egli drops a 6-5 dec to the #2 seed
@138 Blain Mayer drops a 5-3 dec to the #4 seed

Brownsburg
@120 Braden Haines loses by TF in the quarters
@126 Evan Lawhead drops a 3-1 dec to the #3 seed
@132 Drake Campbell wins by fall
@138 Nick Ciccarelli wins 4-0 in the consolation round

Gotta run for a little bit.  Will update more in about an hour.

23 minutes ago, hook and half said:

not as good as points, but knocking out competitors helps a bit

I agree. There are still only 14 wrestlers scoring at the end of the day. Baumann wrestling is no different than having a B team like Brighton is doing

2 minutes ago, Alias said:

I agree. There are still only 14 wrestlers scoring at the end of the day. Baumann wrestling is no different than having a B team like Brighton is doing

great showing by the Indiana kids.  After two rounds, MD leads the tournament while B-burg is second.  

Made it back...  looks like I missed some good matches.  

Dickens with an 8-4 dec over State Champ Soney Buell of Dundee.  He'll wrestle for 3rd.

@160 Peyton Asbury vs. Gabe Sollars in a BB vs. MD match, up now
-- Couldn't see it as Mat 8's camera has been frozen for awhile, but Asbury won by fall.  Sollars had a 2-1 lead.  Not sure what happened between there and the fall.  Asbury will wrestle for 3rd and Sollars for 5th.

Edited by SWINfan

@170 Macartney Parkinson MD, dropped a 3-2 dec to nationally ranked River Shettler in the semifinal.  Came back with a fall in the consolation and will wrestle for 3rd.

Also @170 Thierry Jean-Baptist dropped a SV 5-3 dec to State runner-up Jay Nivison.  Jean-Baptist had a 3-1 lead and gave up a late TD in the 3rd (:15 ish) and then another in SV.  Gave Nivison all he wanted.

@182 BB's Greg Glover dec MD's Jacob Pierson 3-1.  Glover will wrestle for 3rd, Pierson for 5th.

@195 Both John McGrew MD and Cody Edmonds BB lost in the consolation and will face each other in the 5th/6th Place match.

@220 Lawson Aiken BB is sitting pretty waiting to wrestle in the finals.  MD's Joe Crowe started strong, out to a 4-0 lead but couldn't hold it and lost by fall in the 3rd Period. Crowe gives up almost 30 lbs and will not place.  Just difficult for him to match up that far down in weight.  It was a game effort until he ran out of steam.

@285 BB's Keys advanced with a fall and will wrestle for 3rd.  MD's Matthew Woodruff lost by fall and will not place.

Assuming TW has the team scores fully updated, the top 4 are as follows:

Mater Dei     153.5
Brownsburg  144.5
Mason OH    142.0
Davison MI   135.5

Edited by SWINfan

2 hours ago, Alias said:

We get how scoring works.  At the end of the day, Baumann is wearing a Mater Dei singlet and winning matches.  He'll wrestle his teammate in the finals, so not a bad day for a kid who some would say doesn't matter.  

Edited by SWINfan

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

We get how scoring works.  At the end of the day, Baumann is wearing a Mater Dei singlet and winning matches.  He'll wrestle his teammate in the finals, so not a bad day for a kid who some would say doesn't count.

I never said he didn't count. He had a great day of wrestling and made Indiana wrestling fans proud. He also showcased just how tough the bottom part of that MD lineup is to crack. The kid is a hammer and makes his teammates better on a daily basis. 

On to the finals....   Am I the only one that is seeing a frozen camera on Mat 8 for the last 30 minutes at least?  Of course, the Finals are on Mat 8, so unless I am the only one staring at some referees butt, the video stream is a flop with no Finals.

@106 MD's Alec Freeman dominates D2 #2 ranked Jacob Byra of St' John's MI 9-3 for 3rd Place
@106 BB's Logan Miller with a 5-3 dec. over Kyle White Davison MI nets him 5th Place

@113 MD's Cole Ross takes 1st Place
@113 MD reserve Brody Baumann takes 2nd Place FF to Ross to ensure MD gets the full points available
@113 BB's KT Nelson loses by fall to Mason OH's Dominic DiTullio in the first period. Nelson finishes in 4th Place.

Edited by SWINfan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.