Nebraska at Penn State Jan 20th - Chad Red vs Nick Lee Round 2

46 minutes ago, UncleJimmy said:

Respeck for what @SWINfan has built back here! Attaboy ..and yes I hope it happens but even more important is it on BTN Sunday?

Sadly it is not on BTN.  It is on Flo behind their paywall. The PSU website says it is on Lionvision (the PSU streaming service), but there is doubt that is accurate.

4 minutes ago, wrestlenewbie said:

https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Archive=3945&sport=30&type=Archive

Lionvision is audio only for this one. Probably part of the Flo contract. No free competition.

It is available on btn2go.com w/ subscription.  A team subscription can be done for one month at $9.95, or all teams for $14.95.   I bit the bullet and am keeping it for two months, right up until time for the NCAAs, which are free.  When you sign up it says it has to be recurring billing, but when you put your payment method in, there is a place to uncheck if you don't want the payment to automatically renew unless you cancel.

I had Indiana - Purdue, Michigan - Michigan State and Nebraska - Maryland all going tonight, and am about to start Iowa - Rutgers.  With most Big Ten matches on Friday/Sundays, it won't interfere with Saturdays and HS matches (and other crap around the house to do).

This should all get hammered out tomorrow, but the link at the end is Nebraska's media notes for this weekend's matches.  Much of the reason for the questioning of Red this year is due to his poor record.  Below is his 2018-19 results, not including Friday night's win at Maryland.

Note 6 of his wins came in a December 8 tournament he wrestled in that was mostly D2/D3 wrestlers.  Nebraska sent backups.  So outside of this tournament, he is 6-6 on the year against D1 comp.

2018-19 RESULTS Date # Opponent (Team) Result
Northeast Duals (Albany, N.Y.)
11/10 6 Matt Findlay (Utah Valley) L; D, 8-10
11/10 6 Nick Widmann (Drexel) W; D, 2-1
11/10 6 Sam Krivus (Virginia) L; D, 1-3

11/18 11 Sam Turner (Wyoming) W; D, 6-2

Cliff Keen Invitational (Las Vegas, Nev.) DNP
11/30 13 Gavin Sutton (NDSU) W; D, 8-5
11/30 13 #20 Kanen Storr (Michigan) L; D, 1-2
11/30 13 Taylor Ortz (Clarion) L; D, 2-4

Doane Open (Crete, Neb.) 1st
12/8 Oliver Phillips (NW Kansas) W; TF, 16-1
12/8 Alex Karantinos (Morningside) W; F (2:12)
12/8 Marcelo Sierra (Lindenwood) W; F (1:31)
12/8 Matt Robertson (Grand View) W; TF, 15-0
12/8 Grayson Brenna (Grand View) W; TF, 19-3
12/8 Wesley Dawkins (Neb. Kearney) W; F, (3:32)

12/15 A.C. Headlee (N. Carolina) L; D, 1-5

12/16 #13 Jamal Morris (NC State) W; D, 3-2

1/6 Yahya Thomas (NW) W; MD, 10-1

1/12 20 #8 Josh Alber (N. Iowa) L; D, 4-6

W-L Dual DP/Opp Pins W/L TF MD
11-6 4-4     13/12     3/0          3   1

Nebraska Media Notes - Weekend 1/18 & 1/20

Lots of tying up and hand fighting to begin.....     Red not initiating anything and doing nothing but stepping back to avoid Lee's shot attempts.  Stall warning on Red.

Lee gets in on a single leg.  Red fights it off for a good 30-40 seconds and rolls through and gets hold of Lee's leg.  Lee gets the leg free and spins behind for the takedown.  Lee with a spiral ride.  Red gets up, but Lee returns him and they go out of bounds w/ :05 left in the first period.  After the first period, it's 2-0 Nick Lee.

2nd Period starts with Red on top.  Lee starts to get out and changes to a switch attempt.  Red hangs on for dear life and a stalemate is called with 1:05 remaining.  Red hangs on and Lee comes close to getting out but Red hands on.  Stall call on Red, 3-0 Nick Lee with :12 left.  Period ends 3-0 Lee leading with Red having a 1:12 riding time advantage.

3rd Period starts with Lee on top.  Red escapes with riding time reduced to :56.  Lee gets in on a single, Red rolls though.  Big scramble and Red gets the takedown.  3-3 all tied up with Red gaining riding time advantage again.  Stalling on Red makes it 4-3 Lee as Red hangs on to Lee's legs.  Lee stands up and gets the escape to take a 5-3 lead.  Both wrestlers facing off in the middle.  Red pushes the action for the first time.  Lee gets a Stall warning as they go out of bounds.  They lock up, Lee pushes Red and he falls down.  Lee remains in the middle as time wanes.  No takedown for Red as time expires and Lee takes a 5-4 win after Red's riding time is added.

Nick Lee wins 5-4

1 minute ago, nkraus said:

boo on that first stalling point. 

I guess i didn't agree with that first stalling point...this should've been in overtime...final Nick Lee 5 Chad Red 4.

We'll agree to disagree.  Red initiated zero offense until about :30 left with Nick having a 5-3 lead.  Red played defense the whole match and never tried to score.  His only takedown was off a scramble after a Lee shot.

Well Red still shows he had the riding advantage over Lee, but he gets himself into a few bad positions and gets hit with stalling trying to hold on a little longer.  You could see Red was a little hesitant at first but when he was on top to start the 2nd his confidence grew as he accumulated riding time.  In the end Lee takes this one, but it was really a matter of penalty points deciding it.  We may see this one again at Big10s.  

Just now, MattM said:

Well Red still shows he had the riding advantage over Lee, but he gets himself into a few bad positions and gets hit with stalling trying to hold on a little longer.  You could see Red was a little hesitant at first but when he was on top to start the 2nd his confidence grew as he accumulated riding time.  In the end Lee takes this one, but it was really a matter of penalty points deciding it.  We may see this one again at Big10s.  

that bothered me on the penalty points...each had a takedown...clearly Red is great at countering.  Lee is better at hitting offense.  Red is better on top.  Red needs to turn up the pace a bit...if anything Red gets his mind right and turns the corner to go get another AA

2 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

We'll agree to disagree.  Red initiated zero offense until about :30 left with Nick having a 5-3 lead.  Red played defense the whole match and never tried to score.  His only takedown was off a scramble after a Lee shot.

Neutral you are correct...but they both did exactly the same thing on top..a spiral and returns...The stalling where he didn't return him I agreed with.  The stalling where he dropped to a leg and tried turning the corner I wasn't sure about...

4 minutes ago, SWINfan said:

I was typing the same thing -- it was obvious that Red's game-plan was to play defense as long as possible and hopefully get a TD at the end to seal the deal.

2 minutes ago, nkraus said:

Neutral you are correct...but they both did exactly the same thing on top..a spiral and returns...The stalling where he didn't return him I agreed with.  The stalling where he dropped to a leg and tried turning the corner I wasn't sure about...

Dropping to the leg in the top position is a five second count and if you aren't off the leg it's stalling.

1 minute ago, Y2CJ41 said:

Dropping to the leg in the top position is a five second count and if you aren't off the leg it's stalling.

Even if you're switching to a double and trying to turn the corner?  I don't watch a ton of college wrestling and I guess I was never called for it and the rules have changed

Just now, nkraus said:

Even if you're switching to a double and trying to turn the corner?  I don't watch a ton of college wrestling and I guess I was never called for it and the rules have changed

I believe the rule is you have to come above the waist within those 5 seconds

It'll go one of two ways from here IMO--Nick Lee just got over a mental hump and it will be much worse next time, or Chad Red gets his head right and it's super close from here on out and he doesn't drop any more goofy matches...That being said, I've never seen Red on much offense in college.  (I've only actually watched him wrestle a half dozen times or so)