#2 Perry Meridian vs. #4 Mater Dei

hook and half

3 minutes ago, BClark said:

This is how you grow the sport. Huge duals like EMD vs PM. CP vs Portage. Cathedral vs CE and stream it for those who can’t make it. 

I love that it was on a Friday night! Think there should be more Friday night duals. 

Thanks for putting on a great show for wrestling fans. 

Agreed. Friday night lights of sorts. Columbus East hosted a great event last night as well. Good crowd. Great venue. Too much orange. Super solid squad. 

A shout out to Craig Akers--he made the 2:09 trip to Evansville to bring you the match.  He's a big wrestling fan and a completely likable fella.

A few things you did not catch by watching it online:

1.  Mike Goebel and Randy Helfrich had on noise-cancelling headsets.  Watching it online really took the crowd out of it.  The gym was very loud.  There was a number of times that the noise shook the house.

2.  Perry Meridian brought a nice crowd that was VERY vocal.

3.  Perry's coaching staff appears to be a class act.  Mater Dei fans noticed and appreciated it.

4.  I have never, nor do i ever again expect to, experience another JV match like the one last night.  It was incredible!  Have you ever seen the student section chant a JV kids' name?  Several times, the entire building was on its feet.  This match had it all--lead changes, come from behind wins and overtimes.  You could live through an entire wrestling season and not see a dual rise to the level of excitement that was produced by the PM/MD JV dual.

5.  The sense of humor possessed by referee Travis Cross.  He is a respected official in Evansville--but got zero love from MD fans.  PM fans also landed some punches!  Travis is a great guy and is good for the sport of wrestling.  He reffed FOUR hours of JV and varsity last night.  I don't know what they paid him, but MD got its money's worth!  The towel man is his brother Denver, who is also a good guy.  Give them both some love the next time you see them.

6.  Lots of emotion from the kids.  Winning was ecstasy, losing was agony.

7.  I saw wrestlers, fans and coaches from virtually all of the area schools.  This was one of four huge duals, in Mater Dei's gym...since 1993!  The grapplers, from both teams, got to experience what few wrestlers do: compete in a high-stakes tightly contested dual in front of 2000 hysterical fans.

All around it was great to watch some high level wrestling and have a great quality stream and commentating. I put it on my big TV and sat on the couch and watched great matches all night. Big thanks to all those that made this happen as I can't wait to do a few more this year as we expand into streaming a little more.

Concur. It was great  to come home from a long work week and grab a frosty beverage and bake some Xmas cookies and watch some quality wrasslin to start the holiday weekend. Announcers were great. Hook thanks for info on noise canceling headphones as I thought it didn’t sound as exciting as I though it would . That would explain it. Then to switch to OTR and the CP/Portage match and wrap the night up was the topper.

Also enjoyed the Wawasee/Penn stteam Thursday too and those announcers did great as well. Streaming is great and a great way to connect with the millennials.

Thanks to all who make it happen.

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Maligned coming in hangry...

Results Page Big Poppa. 

Whoops...I was thinking it happened on the 22nd. I scrolled until the first batch of 12-22 results was past and thought it hadn't been entered. thanks for the heads up!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.