#2 Perry Meridian vs. #4 Mater Dei

hook and half

Things got a little chippy in a few matches which is a bit expected when you have two top 5 teams going at it. A few extra curriculars that were unnecessary from both teams but I think the official and both coaches did a great job keeping the boys squared away.  I loved seeing Perry’s coach make the 195er go back and give Coach Shaefer a proper hand shake. Class acts on both sides. Great for Indiana wrestling. We need more dual meets like this throughout the year. 

Great battle tonight. I almost feel like I ripped someone off by only having to pay $5 for this type of action. Evengot some extra entertainment from the PM crowd that was thrown in for free  

PM coach I’m sure will have a talk with the fellas as one cost them a team point and the other got an ear full for his late antics after the match. Class act by coach. I seen several guys that were just flat out gassed. I’m sure as the season goes on, the conditioning will improve. 

Blake Boarman is just exciting to watch as is the EMD freshman Sollard. Dickens looked very good tonight in his match against Fair. While Fair May have been injured, he was out of gas even in the 2nd period. I’m sure he’ll recover and bounce back to make some noise at Bankers. 

Really enjoyed it tonight.   Great action. A few random thoughts in no particular order.....

- MD won tonight by winning @160, @170, Dickins major and limiting PM to a dec @182 & a major @195.  Perry needed a lead after 285 and didn't have it.  

- Fair didn't look himself so the 12-2 win shouldn't carry a ton of weight later.  He was hurting and gassed.  That said Dickens went right after him, cutting him early after the 1st TD.  I'd take Dickens in a rematch, but wouldn't expect a major.

- Lambert didn't wrestle in Michigan. Heard he may have been sick.  How he gasped late would fit that.  Think he'll be much better as the season goes on.

- MD's 182, 195 and 220 are light.  Not sure about Lannert's weight, but he looked smallish.  MCGrew could easily make 182 and Crowe could make 195, he is almost 30 lbs from 220. 

- Cottey got out of control against Freeman.  Heard they have wrestled several times before and it's about 50/50 between them..  Maybe he was trying to send a message at the end to set the tone for next time?  Don't know that, but it certainly didn't look good, cost his team a point, and got his coach to tell him to shut up. Look forward to seeing them wrestle again.

- PM attempted and succeeded with more head locks and throws than I expected.

- Matt Lee got a little sloppy at the end knowing he had it won.  But Warren showed no quit late and never made things easy for Lee.  Good battle.

- Great atmosphere and crowd that was loud and into it.  Thought one of the best moments was in the JV 220 match.  MD's James Ralph controlled the match for the most part which included a lot of upper body battles.  Near the end Ralph landed on his back after a throw and then rolled through to put San Agustin(?) on his back and got the late fall.  The crowd erupted nearly as loud as its loudest moments in the Varsity match.

- I erred in an earlier post about the JV.  MD forfeited 285 and 120, the final match (with MD up 2 pts). Originally said 113.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.