#2 Perry Meridian vs. #4 Mater Dei

hook and half

A few clarifications/thoughts....
The nationally ranked guys wrestled at 152 yesterday, not 145 so Matt did not see either. His weight was full of State Qualifiers and State ranked wrestlers, but not as strong as initially believed.  That said, he utterly dominated the field with 3 TF and a fall.  I have no idea whether he will major Aiden Warren or not, but Matt does seem ready to take his "game" to another level this year.  Should be a fun match to watch unless Aiden tries to employ a boring defense first style designed to slow Matt's pace.  While I don't know Aiden's style that well, I don't expect a boring match.

Predictions are part of what makes a board like this great.  People have different opinions.  And that's not only okay, great!  If the whole world only thought like me, it would be much smarter world, but incredibly boring.  ;)

Lastly, on Perry having 4 wrestlers out (for whatever reason)...   Unless those wrestlers will be back Friday night at Mater Dei and at full strength/shape for Team State Duals, that is completely irrelevant today.  Predictions can only be made on what we know.  Unless you want to post PM's expected full strength lineup with their expected return dates, you can't be offended when someone doesn't rank them as high as you want.  But if you are actually a wrestler on the team, use these predictions internally however suits you.  

Looking forward to a great night of wrestling and plan to be there in person.  Here's to hoping that whatever lineups are available for both teams, all are healthy and at full strength and ready to give their best effort!

5 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

If this is the case, PM might charge up. March dem out there. Like Brownsburg at the Mooresville last year where they rested everyone (or they had ring work/SAT/etc), you never know. I just don’t feel like they have the sauce waiting on Stop 11. If so, disprove me. 

Warren is actually #2 after my almost 3rd Shift Logic (Colts and Pacers) inspiration. 

That wasn’t personal, fellas. War Indiana Wrestling. 

I meant Warren Central. Not Aiden Warren. 

On 12/16/2018 at 8:52 AM, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I had some time this morning and looking at results for both Grappler Gold and Marion County, I don’t think this one is going to be pretty. Unfortunately this year, these two teams match up terribly outside of 145-170. The bigs in this one will decide everything. Mater Dei does not match up well with Perry in my opinion. I thought Perry was exposed in the Marion County tourney yesterday. I think they are about the 5th best dual team in Indiana currently unless they were missing wrestlers. 

103 - Freeman vs Cottey (Major PM) 4-0

113 Ross or Baughman vs. Haggerty (Fall EMD) 4-6

120 Boarman vs Venegas (Tech EMD 4-11)

126 K. Egli vs Anhony (Major EMD 4-15)

132 C. Egli vs Cavaero (Fall EMD 21-4)

138 B. Mayer vs Smith (Dec PM 21-7)

145 Lee vs Warren (Major EMD 25-7)

152 Dickens vs Fair (Dec PM 25-10)

160 Sollars vs Baker (Dec PM 25-13)

170 Parkinson vs Davis - Toss-up (Dec EMD 28-13)

182 - Pierson vs Clayton (Dec PM 28- 19)

195 McGrew vs Goodall (Dec EMD 32-19)

220 - Crowe vs Lane (Fall PM 32- 25)

Heavy - 5 wins total between these 2?? An ugly toss up that could determine the outcome? Yikes. (Dec PM 32- 28) 

I hope for the hype it is a good dual, but I can see a bunch of blowouts due to mismatches. I can see EMD bumping everyone from 113. If not against Perry, I can see it certainly in the IHSWCA Duals. My 3rd Shift Logic state dual rankings: 

1. Cathedral

2. EMD

3. Warren

4. Brownsburg

5. Perry

6. Roncalli

7. Carmel

8. Merrillville/Portage 

Lannert will be wrestling at 182 for EMD

On 12/16/2018 at 9:52 AM, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

I had some time this morning and looking at results for both Grappler Gold and Marion County, I don’t think this one is going to be pretty. Unfortunately this year, these two teams match up terribly outside of 145-170. The bigs in this one will decide everything. Mater Dei does not match up well with Perry in my opinion. I thought Perry was exposed in the Marion County tourney yesterday. I think they are about the 5th best dual team in Indiana currently unless they were missing wrestlers. 

103 - Freeman vs Cottey (Major PM) 4-0

113 Ross or Baughman vs. Haggerty (Fall EMD) 4-6

120 Boarman vs Venegas (Tech EMD 4-11)

126 K. Egli vs Anhony (Major EMD 4-15)

132 C. Egli vs Cavaero (Fall EMD 21-4)

138 B. Mayer vs Smith (Dec PM 21-7)

145 Lee vs Warren (Major EMD 25-7)

152 Dickens vs Fair (Dec PM 25-10)

160 Sollars vs Baker (Dec PM 25-13)

170 Parkinson vs Davis - Toss-up (Dec EMD 28-13)

182 - Pierson vs Clayton (Dec PM 28- 19)

195 McGrew vs Goodall (Dec EMD 32-19)

220 - Crowe vs Lane (Fall PM 32- 25)

Heavy - 5 wins total between these 2?? An ugly toss up that could determine the outcome? Yikes. (Dec PM 32- 28) 

I hope for the hype it is a good dual, but I can see a bunch of blowouts due to mismatches. I can see EMD bumping everyone from 113. If not against Perry, I can see it certainly in the IHSWCA Duals. My 3rd Shift Logic state dual rankings: 

1. Cathedral

2. EMD

3. Warren

4. Brownsburg

5. Perry

6. Roncalli

7. Carmel

8. Merrillville/Portage 

A few changes...

106: This one is right (4-0 PM)

113: Haggerty is not getting pinned but it will be a major or Tech Fall (4-4)

120: This one is right (9-4 EMD)

126: This one is right (13-4 EMD)

132: This one is right (19-4 EMD)

138: This one is right (19-7 EMD)

145: No way Warren gets majored if he loses but I got my money on Warren (19-10 EMD)

152: This one is right (19-13 EMD)

160: Toss up, This one is right (19-16 EMD)

170: Another Toss up but Davis shows up in dual meets (19-19)

182: Clayton a big move guy so I think he gets the fall (25-19 PM)

195: This one is right (25-22 PM)

220: This one is right (32-22 PM)

285: Sam Jones comes up huge in dual meets besides the dual meet vs Cathedral last year, Jones by fall (38-22 PM)

Perry wins 38-22

That would certainly be the best case scenario for PM.  Personally I think it will be really close and am concerned MD may not match up well at some weights. But......

I'll be surprised if Cottey majors Freeman.  Freeman lost 6-4 last weekend to nationally ranked Casey Swiderski.  Not to mention Freeman has beaten Cottey before,  Granted it was at 77 lbs in 2015 at ISWA Freestyle State, so that has no effect here other than familiarity.  I think Freeman could very well win, but would give the nod to PM as the safer choice.  I just don't see the major.  

@145 Lee vs. Warren is a great matchup.  I'd give the nod to Lee, but could see a variety of different results here.  A Lee major would not surpise me, but I wouldn't call for it.

@152 I think Dickens has a really good shot at Fair.  Dickens wrestled well last weekend, dropping a 3-2 dec. to nationally ranked and D1 MI State Champ James Whitaker and a 6-4 dec. to MI State Runner Up Caleb Fish (who had beaten Whitaker the week before in a dual).  Along the way, he beat a D2 Michigan 6th Placer and the MI D3 State Champ.  I'm going with Dickens.

@170 I'm still flipping coins so no pick.  But from what I've heard and what I saw last weekend, Parkinson seems to be a different wrestler this year.  He lost 3-2 to nationally ranked River Shettler last weekend and beat MI D3 3rd Placer and D1 2nd ranked Jay Nivison.  This one could go either way, but Davis should expect a heckuva battle.

Back to @106, I've seen where Cottey has bumped up a few times this year.  Could that happen Friday night?  A battle between him and Cole Ross would be awesome. Cottey won their battle at Team State last year 8-6.  I'm not sure what PM's backup situation at 106 is to know if that is realistic,

@182 Dakx Lannert will likely go for MD.  He did not wrestle last weekend and Pierson stepped in.  I see this one as a toss up and think counting 6 for Perry is awfully optimistic.

Edited by SWINfan

2 hours ago, SWINfan said:

Back to @106, I've seen where Cottey has bumped up a few times this year.  Could that happen Friday night?  A battle between him and Cole Ross would be awesome. Cottey won their battle at Team State last year 8-6.  I'm not sure what PM's backup situation at 106 is to know if that is realistic,

That Cottey/Ross match at Team State last year was a hell of a match.  I just had to go re-watch it after seeing this post :) 

5 hours ago, PerryMeridianFan24 said:

A few changes...

106: This one is right (4-0 PM)

113: Haggerty is not getting pinned but it will be a major or Tech Fall (4-4)

120: This one is right (9-4 EMD)

126: This one is right (13-4 EMD)

132: This one is right (19-4 EMD)

138: This one is right (19-7 EMD)

145: No way Warren gets majored if he loses but I got my money on Warren (19-10 EMD)

152: This one is right (19-13 EMD)

160: Toss up, This one is right (19-16 EMD)

170: Another Toss up but Davis shows up in dual meets (19-19)

182: Clayton a big move guy so I think he gets the fall (25-19 PM)

195: This one is right (25-22 PM)

220: This one is right (32-22 PM)

285: Sam Jones comes up huge in dual meets besides the dual meet vs Cathedral last year, Jones by fall (38-22 PM)

Perry wins 38-22

So Perry gets a fall at 182 because Clayton is a "big move guy", but Mater Dei can't get a fall at 113, 120, 126 or 132? Also Perry seems to have two guys who "show up in dual meets". I guess the Mater Dei guys don't care about dual meets. 

Seems like fair, unbiased reporting. 

Just now, WrestleMan said:

So Perry gets a fall at 182 because Clayton is a "big move guy", but Mater Dei can't get a fall at 113, 120, 126 or 132? Also Perry seems to have two guys who "show up in dual meets". I guess the Mater Dei guys don't care about dual meets. 

Seems like fair, unbiased reporting. 

Dude, it's from a PM fan! OF COURSE they'll be biased, but they should be.

52 minutes ago, Falcon06 said:

That Cottey/Ross match at Team State last year was a hell of a match.  I just had to go re-watch it after seeing this post :) 

The best part of re-watching this match was watching @bluemonster sitting in the stands on the edge of his seat!

8 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Has Mater Dei ever faced a Top 5 Indiana team at home? 

Yes.  One that sticks out was back in the days of the old Indiana's Best, Lawrence North came down and lost.  That was 1993.  We had gone to LN the previous 2 seasons for Indiana's Best (along with Franklin County and Muncie South).  Lost to LN 27-21 in 1991 and beat LN 27-21 in 1992.  Went up and beat Cathedral a week later in 1992 as well.  I know Central, Reitz and Castle have had some highly ranked teams over the years.  It's always been hard getting teams to make the trip south, so we always went North.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.