Nice moment at the Memorial/Mater Dei match

hook and half

PA announcer:  “ Please rise for the national anthem”

a few moments pass...nothing.  A minute passes of awkward silence.

a couple of ladies, with very soft voices, begin to sing.  A couple of bars in, several others joined. By the third bar, the entire audience rose to the moment and joyously belted out the anthem.

many members of the audience—and the boys—kept their hand over their heart. EVERYONE faced the flag.

it was a thing of beauty.

No one took a knee or experienced a “triggering” event by this simple display of respect.  I am quite certain that none of the combatants were traumatized and required counseling.

on a night of the match-up of a decades-old super-intense rivalry,  it was great to enjoy an experience that unites us.

it was a great night to be an American.

Hook, I agree it was a touching moment. While most members of the crowd will never be accused of being able to sing, myself included, together we all did a great job singing the beautiful anthem of our country. Kudos to the two ladies for having the guts to get things started and to all who joined in. Great job Mater Dei and Memorial fans. 

25 minutes ago, PURDUEdad said:

At a home meet earlier this season, Franklin Community’s announcer had trouble with the audio for the Star Spangled Banner. Not missing a beat, Coach Hasseman went over, grabbed the mic, went to center mat and with hand over heart led the crowd in the Pledge of Allegiance . . .

With the way he sings the Findlay fight song I'm surprised he didn't sing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.