IHSGW Girls State Championships

Ironbear

State brackets show wrestle backs to 5th place only (which is not even a placement)... Is this actually how it is being done?  This is not how it was done at Regionals..

18 hours ago, AJ said:

State brackets show wrestle backs to 5th place only (which is not even a placement)... Is this actually how it is being done?  This is not how it was done at Regionals..

They actually did the same thing at the Franklin regional, which was extremely disappointing.  Especially since this was only done in certain brackets.  

2 hours ago, EFuqua said:

They actually did the same thing at the Franklin regional, which was extremely disappointing.  Especially since this was only done in certain brackets.  

At the North Regional we had wrestle backs to 3rd place.  

The issue is that once you got into 16 (wo)man brackets, there is the possibility of them wrestling more than 5 times, as is the NFHS rule.  What happens when the IHSAA (while you probably do not know how involved they are) says that 16 man WB-5th Place 6 is the way we have to compete because of the too many matches issue?  I do not have insider information, but that is what it seems happened.

Trackgopher that  would make perfect sense for the Regionals wheb tge brackets are big due to unlimited entries.  But I don’t see a need for the same setup at Girls State.  State is only an 8 person bracket.  Top 4 from the North and Top 4 from the South.  Seems like that lines up perfectly for complete wrestlebacks to 3/4 option.

I’m guessing the organizers want to speed the event along by not having the semi-final losers drop into an extra consolation round.  Just let them wrestle for 3/4 and move on.   From a tournament directors standpoint that does makes some sense since it’s a late Friday night.  But, I thought this was about finally giving these girls some due.  It’s Girls State not a random JV round robin to get matches.  I say let the girls prove their placement by wrestling it out.  Sure it may save a little time (that 2 less matches per weight) by cutting out a round of wrestle-backs,  but then the first round draw completely decided your season.  I’ve heard enough complaints over the years about the IHSAA doing the one loss and your done stuff at some round of boys state, but in this case the IHSAA isn’t the one deciding it.  

For most of these girls this is the highlight of the season and likely their last meet of the year (for some career).  I’m guessing most of them would vote to stay two matches longer if it gave them them a opportunity to earn the placement they believed they have worked hard for.  

Edited by MattM

22 hours ago, AJ said:

That is how they looked at first in the north regional until they changed it right before it started. 

I had considered the 5 match limit, but unfortunately for our girl there were 9 wrestlers in a 16 man bracket.  Every girl received a bye with the exception of our girl and the eventual weight class winner.  Our girl lost round 1 to the bracket winner and won 3 more to finish 5th with no chance to advance, wrestling only 4 times. I guess I'm more disappointed for our wrestler than anything else.  There are obvious growing pains that this tournament will experience but it is great to see it trending in the right direction.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.