Qualifying weighins for kids under 7%

yogihof

We have a wrestler who is naturally under 7% Body Fat.  We got the doctor's note and he was approved at his alpha weight (112.6).  So his approved weight class is 113.  The kid has now had 3 weighins at 111.8, 111.9, and 111.3.  Now the IHSAA is telling us that any weighin under 112.6 (even if it's in the approved weight class) is NOT a qualifying weighin.  The kid is not trying to cut weight, but works out in practice, so his weight fluctuates.  We were told to have the kid sit out a week so he can gain weight or just eat more.  This seems crazy to me.  Anyone else have a similar experience?  Any insight would be most appreciated!

This is where the people that make the rules fail to have any field experience. They want to have a 15-18 year old kid manage their weight within tenths of pounds multiple days a week sometimes. I would love to have those same people do that.

I would just take a bottle of water/Gatorade with him and after checking the scale drink up to 112.6 then not go to the bathroom. Also he can weigh in with socks too.

We had a similar situation, but for ours it said that the athletes minimum weight would be what his weight was at 7%. This was after putting in the doctor note. I would double check this because if it is like ours it will say alpha weight 112.6 minimum weight class 120 minimum weight 113.1 or whatever his weight would be at 7%. 

The IHSAA is absolutely stupid in this scenario.  We had to have a couple kids like this step on scale right before weigh ins and they had to drink a tad to make sure they were in that very small window between minimum weight and actual weight class.  This is ridiculous and the morons in Indy won't listen.

Yes but they cannot weigh below what their alpha weight is.  So if they are signed off by a doctor that they are naturally below 7% and their alpha weight is 125.8 the day they alpha then they cannot weigh below that or it won't count as a qualifiying weigh in by what I was told. 

4 minutes ago, Steven Sandefer said:

After they have completed the (sub-7%) "physicians clearance" and "parental permission" forms and it is mailed by the school to the IHSAA, your AD should be able to check off that the form has been completed and the weigh-ins below 7% are then approved. 

You can't use both the "physicians clearance" and "parental permission".  If they are below 7% to start they cannot use the parent permission. If they are above 7% they do not need the physicians clearance.

6 minutes ago, ENoblewrestling said:

You can't use both the "physicians clearance" and "parental permission".  If they are below 7% to start they cannot use the parent permission. If they are above 7% they do not need the physicians clearance.

Thanks for the clarification on the two forms.

15 minutes ago, johnathanspencer said:

Yes but they cannot weigh below what their alpha weight is.  So if they are signed off by a doctor that they are naturally below 7% and their alpha weight is 125.8 the day they alpha then they cannot weigh below that or it won't count as a qualifiying weigh in by what I was told. 

I understand what you are saying. I am in a bind with a few light 106's and have been trying to figure out what to do and how to understand this today.

My son had this problem also.  He was less than 7% and had to have a doctors note.  And his minimum weight was 105.6, wrestling 106.  So we basically had him drink until he hit 105.6 to 105.8 and hoped the official scale was same as ours.  The 2 pound allowance couldn't come soon enough.  It was extremely stressful for Him, the coach, and his parents.  I feel your frustration. 

I have a kid that was 120.2 and now normally weighs 119 and gets sick trying to put on the weight just to wrestle 6 pounds up. I really don't understand the point of letting someone who is above 7% drop to 5% even if it means dropping 5% but a kid lower can't loose any thing. It like they believe that weight loss automatically stops at 7%.

I had the same issue with my 126 last year.  The coach's association proposed to change the rule to qualifying at a weight class instead of a specific weight last year and it never got approved by the IHSAA board.  I will do everything in my power to influence the IHSAA to change this next year.   When this was proposed last spring, Mr. Faulkens was not against the change, I assumed it would be passed.  

I recommend that you contact Mr. Faulkens and make him aware of the situation. I'm willing to bet he'll work with you.  He's very aware of the issue here.  

That's a great idea to certify by weight class! Makes much more sense to simply the entire process. We have several kids we have to keep a close eye on due to this process right now. Like others have said, creates a lot of stress and confusion on kids, coaches, and parents. We should number one be looking out for the safety of the kids.  Are kids really going to weigh in lower than what they have to? Absolutely not! So why do we need to over-complicate the process? 

In an effort to make the sport more attractive to everyone, make it simple. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.