Hoosiers in College - Results/Updates - 1st Half

Lee in a battle with Woods in the finals but was able to open up the score enough in the 3rd to get the title with a 6-3 win.  Woods maybe the only person so far this year to hold Lee from getting bonus points. 

Just now, MattM said:

Lee in a battle with Woods in the finals but was able to open up the score enough in the 3rd to get the title with a 6-3 win.  Woods maybe the only person so far this year to hold Lee from getting bonus points. 

You're correct, that was Lee's first match this year not scoring bonus points.

15 hours ago, SWINfan said:

You're correct, that was Lee's first match this year not scoring bonus points.

Any word on Joe Lee this year? Did I miss an injury or something? I'm just surprised I haven't seen his name at any of these Open tournaments.

1 hour ago, NLCards said:

Any word on Joe Lee this year? Did I miss an injury or something? I'm just surprised I haven't seen his name at any of these Open tournaments.

What I do know is he is grayshirting, which means he won't officially enroll at PSU until either this spring semester or next fall.  That means his eligibility clock doesn't begin until next fall.  PSU is pretty crowded so they did this with Joe, Michael Beard and Aaron Brooks.  As far as I know Joe and Beard are in Happy Valley training at the NLWC.  Brooks is training for a year at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado.  

What I don't know for sure as I heard it 3rd or 4th hand is that Joe had an injury and part if not all of this time is spent rehabbing.  Not sure of the injury or the severity, so I won't comment on it further without knowing 100%.

2 hours ago, SWINfan said:

What I do know is he is grayshirting, which means he won't officially enroll at PSU until either this spring semester or next fall.  That means his eligibility clock doesn't begin until next fall.  PSU is pretty crowded so they did this with Joe, Michael Beard and Aaron Brooks.  As far as I know Joe and Beard are in Happy Valley training at the NLWC.  Brooks is training for a year at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado.  

What I don't know for sure as I heard it 3rd or 4th hand is that Joe had an injury and part if not all of this time is spent rehabbing.  Not sure of the injury or the severity, so I won't comment on it further without knowing 100%.

Thanks for the update -- I was not aware of the "gray shirt." I didn't even know that was allowed between high school and college without burning a year of eligibility. When reading up on it though, it does appear you can greyshirt then later redshirt, so it make sense with how stacked Penn State is at these weight classes.

On 1/1/2019 at 12:46 PM, SWINfan said:

Duke is there with a full compliment of wrestlers but no Jeremiah Reitz or Ty Mills.  Can anyone give an update on either of these two?  I'm not finding any results on either.  Since this tournament allows multiple wrestlers from the same school (unattached or attached), I was hoping we'd see them.

Ty is red-shirting this year at 133/141, but 2 days before their first Open of the year at Virginia Tech he got banged up.  He's still recovering and may end up with a medical red-shirt this year.  He's been able to get a little practice over the past few weeks, but still showing symptoms of his injury and not fully cleared yet.  

Jeremiah was ready to battle it out this year at 133, down from 141 last year.  However, he sustained a pretty severe concussion around the same time Ty went down.  He's been recovering from it since and I'm not sure if he'll be cleared after break or not.  

At this point, Duke is FFing 133, so I wouldn't be surprised if the first healthy one gets inserted into the line for the Dual schedule.  Regardless, Ty is loving the environment and I think found the perfect fit of academics and athletics.  I'm excited to see what Coach Lanham continues to build in the ACC!

Looking forward to seeing Mills and Reitz in action but no rush! Get healthy.

Mason PArris beat Amor Dhesi, who placed 3rd in 2017 and 5th in 2016 at the NCAAs and is a two time PAC champ. Big win for Mason.

42 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Looking forward to seeing Mills and Reitz in action but no rush! Get healthy.

Mason PArris beat Amor Dhesi, who placed 3rd in 2017 and 5th in 2016 at the NCAAs and is a two time PAC champ. Big win for Mason.

HUGE win for Mason tonight!  Dhesi, when it was announced in early December he was coming back for another year, he was immediately inserted into Flo's rankings at #1.  Intermat has not ranked him yet.  The match against Parris was his first of the year, since wrestling at the UWW World Championships for Canada in October.

Mason is 18-3 on the year so far, per mgoblue.com  This match and win officially pulls Mason's redshirt for Michigan and he was pretty dominant, winning 11-4 with 3 takedowns in the first period.  Michigan is @ Arizona State Saturday evening 6:00 ET(?) and then jump into the Big Ten Saturday Jan 12 against Illinois.  His next two big challenges should come Jan. 25 at Ohio State in a rematch against Chase Singletary and Feb. 1 at Penn State against Anthony Cassar.  Parris lost to Singletary earlier this year 15-9 at the Ohio Intercollegiate Open.  Cassar, like Mason weighs in on the lighter end of the weight class, usually around 230 and is very strong and explosive.  Those two matches should really give an indication of how far Mason can go this year.  

Congrats to Mason on a HUGE win and the pulling of his redshirt!

3 hours ago, teammills said:

Ty is red-shirting this year at 133/141, but 2 days before their first Open of the year at Virginia Tech he got banged up.  He's still recovering and may end up with a medical red-shirt this year.  He's been able to get a little practice over the past few weeks, but still showing symptoms of his injury and not fully cleared yet.  

Jeremiah was ready to battle it out this year at 133, down from 141 last year.  However, he sustained a pretty severe concussion around the same time Ty went down.  He's been recovering from it since and I'm not sure if he'll be cleared after break or not.  

At this point, Duke is FFing 133, so I wouldn't be surprised if the first healthy one gets inserted into the line for the Dual schedule.  Regardless, Ty is loving the environment and I think found the perfect fit of academics and athletics.  I'm excited to see what Coach Lanham continues to build in the ACC!

Thank you very much for the update.  Hate to hear the news on both guys, especially Reitz.  Hopefully he can come back from the concussion.  The one thing Ty has going for him is time.  He doesn't need to rush back.  Jeremiah, being a few years older, you have to hope this wasn't his big chance and it was lost.  His health is the biggest thing, but we all hope for success on and off the mat for these guys.  

Any input you have and are willing to share is greatly appreciated going forward.  I created this thread to help everyone stay up on as many guys in college as possible.  And if you don't feel like posting for whatever reason, feel free to PM me any info you are okay with being posted.

I hadn't been following Conner Tolley, so I did a bit of research after his Scuffle performance, where he ended up 2-2, dropping a 6-0 decision to #13 Voss and a 2-1 decision to Stanford's top guy, who is 11-5. 

In his first 3 seasons at UT-Chattanooga, including a redshirt year, Conner won a grand total of 6 matches. He then got the varsity spot last year and went 11-8, finishing 3rd in the SoCon (only champ advanced to NCAAs). 

This year, he's got 9 wins already and could be a dark horse for an NCAA spot. It's looking like the SoCon defending champ Heino, a Finnish world teamer who made it to the NCAA blood round last year, is going to redshirt. If he does, Conner will be right there as one of the two or three contenders for the conference's automatic bid at 285. Very cool to look back through his results and see the big jumps in the quality level of his results. Great testament to persistence and hard work--lots of guys stop wrestling or transfer out of D1 after taking the kind of lumps Tolley did for 3 years. 

Tolley fell off the radar after HS. He finished 3rd his Senior year. He lost to Fletcher Miller 3-6 and beat Dylan Faulknerg 2-1. Both of them are still wrestling and Faulk is ranked in top 10 for D2. Tolley also finished 4th as a Junior, losing to Fletcher Miller 3-5.

Does anyone know if Tolley went to play college baseball after high school or am I confusing him with another heavier kid from Franklin/Avon area...

Mason Parris back in action tonight at Arizona State.  Parris wins with a fall at 5:56.  He was leading at least 11-3 at the time (I looked away for a few seconds) with more than 2 minutes of riding time.  The win puts Mason at 19-3 on the year.  Looking forward to see where he enters the rankings this week.

Chad Red won by Major 10-1 over Northwestern's Yahya Thomas getting himself back into the rankings at #20 on both Flo and Intermat.  Potential match with Nick Lee looming on Sunday January 20.

Nick Lee and Penn State is back in action Friday 1/11 against Northwestern.
Nebraska is back at it Saturday 1/12 against Northern Iowa where Red will face Josh Alber ranked #8 by Intermat.

• Y2CJ41 changed the title to Hoosiers in College - Results/Updates - 1st Half
On 1/8/2019 at 12:40 PM, navy80 said:

Good for Mason. 

SWIN, How many AA's will the State of Indiana get this year?

I am much better at finding results and reporting them than prognosticating.  I'd tend to agree with Maligned and go with 3 or 4.

NOTE: I started a new thread for the 2nd half of the season.  Please post results and updates going forward there.

Edited by SWINfan