Question

John Tabbler

Hello Indiana!  I hope that it’s ok to post this question here. My family and I are moving to Central Indiana soon, and my 5th grader loves wrestling.  He’s an athletic boy, but new to the sport. I’ve been following this forum for a while, and haven’t seen this question. We’re trying to figure out where to move in the Indianapolis area, and we’d like to have a good school first, but a good wrestling program also. I’ve been able to deduce what some of the best high school programs are, but I’d like some opinions about middle school coaches/programs. Who are some of the best who are patient and knowledgeable, and can get my boy going on the right track. We’re moving from Montana, and while I appreciate the time the middle school coaches put in, they weren’t the greatest. Thanks in advance for your input.

John

Hey John my family and I relocated to the area about 3 years ago after retiring from the Army and have been very blessed to have found Center Grove Schools. 

As for Academics: The schools absolutely do their part academically in preparing their students for their future. The staff cares and they want the kids to succeed. My daughter is a Senior and will be attending college next year at IU. My son is a 7th grader at the middle school and is involved in the wrestling, football, track, Strength program

As for Wrestling: A lot of changes have taken place in the last year and I must say that the future is very bright for our student athletes in the wrestling program. We have a new high School coach that believes in a feeder program and has brought some amazing support to help. Here are some info on all of the coaching staff.

Maurice Swain - Head Coach

CG names Maurice Swain the new High School Wrestling coach

Brandon Wright - Assistant Coach

-4x IHSAA State Place winner

-2x IHSAA State Runner-Up

-2x IHSAA STATE CHAMPION

-Super 32 Runner-Up

-Cadet National Freestyle CHAMPION (Fargo)

-2x NAIA NATIONAL CHAMPION

-2017 U.S. Open Runner-Up

-2018 U.S. Finalist

-Currently Ranked #4 in the U.S.A. at 61kg/134lbs.

Brandon Wright Bio

Vinny Corsaro - Assistant Coach 

-3x IHSAA State Runner-Up

-FloNational All-American

-Junior National Freestyle All-American (Fargo)

-Big Ten Wrestler (Rutgers, Indiana University)

Strength and Conditioning Coach Marty Mills

Coach Mills Bio

Aaron Johnson - Owner of "ICG" Indiana Combat Grappling

Aaron Johnson Joins CG  (Last years article, he has since stepped down as an assistant and started his own academy 2 miles from CG)

Aaron Johnsons Academy - ICG

Hope this helps and If you have any questions feel free to reach out. 

Brad 

(812) 736-2801

Edited by BEWrestling

1 hour ago, BEWrestling said:

Hey John my family and I relocated to the area about 3 years ago after retiring from the Army and have been very blessed to have found Center Grove Schools. 

As for Academics: The schools absolutely do their part academically in preparing their students for their future. The staff cares and they want the kids to succeed. My daughter is a Senior and will be attending college next year at IU. My son is a 7th grader at the middle school and is involved in the wrestling, football, track, Strength program

As for Wrestling: A lot of changes have taken place in the last year and I must say that the future is very bright for our student athletes in the wrestling program. We have a new high School coach that believes in a feeder program and has brought some amazing support to help. Here are some info on all of the coaching staff.

Maurice Swain - Head Coach

CG names Maurice Swain the new High School Wrestling coach

Brandon Wright - Assistant Coach

-2x IHSAA State Runner-Up

-2x IHSAA STATE CHAMPION

-Super 32 Runner-Up

-Cadet National Freestyle CHAMPION (Fargo)

-2x NAIA NATIONAL CHAMPION

-2017 U.S. Open Runner-Up

-2018 U.S. Finalist

-Currently Ranked #4 in the U.S.A. at 61kg/134lbs.

Brandon Wright Bio

Vinny Corsaro - Assistant Coach 

-3x IHSAA State Runner-Up

-FloNational All-American

-Junior National Freestyle All-American (Fargo)

-Big Ten Wrestler (Rutgers, Indiana University)

Strength and Conditioning Coach Marty Mills

Coach Mills Bio

Aaron Johnson - Owner of "ICG" Indiana Combat Grappling

Aaron Johnson Joins CG  (Last years article, he has since stepped down as an assistant and started his own academy 2 miles from CG)

Aaron Johnsons Academy - ICG

Coach Swain and his staff help out with the middle school program. I Hope this helps and If you have any questions feel free to reach out. 

Brad 

John,

I can tell you that there are several places you can move to and pick to attend the schools and the wrestling programs are very good and have lots of success around the Indianapolis and surrounding community area's (the above poster's community is one of them for sure). 

I can put a plug in for the one my family is involved in and its success with the tremendous coaching staff (from the MS's to the HS) and very bright future with its elementary and middle school aged kids developing.

In Brownsburg we have 2 middle schools and both usually have full 22 weight class rosters with nearly full JV rosters. 

The HS program is deep and has a recent back to back to back team state championship run.  They are young and re-building this year for the next few years of success.

In the town of Brownsburg is also one of the top premier wrestling academies in the state and the nation Contenders Wrestling Academy ( https://www.contenderswrestling.com/ ).  The academy coach is absolutely the best around with kids (K-HS age) and his training WILL help make your son a better young man and wrestler on and off the mat.

The schools at Brownsburg are year after year top rated in the state academically in all area's.  The community is an absolute wonderful place to live and is close to downtown Indianapolis for all sorts of weekend activities.

I will tell you again that you can not go wrong with several places around the Indianapolis area but for me I believe Brownsburg has to be a top of the list choice for you and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me at the below listed number.

Jason Miller

ISWA Kids director

219-730-9489

Edited by JMILL

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.