Fargo List

Fabio Jr.

3 hours ago, MattM said:

Mendez get a little talk on Flo article proclaiming 126 Fargo’s toughest Cadet Freestyle Weight. https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6219563-fargo-2018s-toughest-cadet-weight-class-126lbs

BLee and Parris both got a nice write up as well for the most anticipated Junior matches. 

43 minutes ago, MattM said:

Not too much talk on IN guys in Flo’s Cadet Freestyle Preview, but Fargo’s Cadet’s is where many new faces come out of the woodwork to make a name for themself.  

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6219136-2018-fargo-cadet-freestyle-preview

Man!!! Illinois is deep with Cadet studs. 

How bout this idea... the ISWA gets with the folks in Illinois and propose some sort of state vs state cross over series. Couldn’t hurt to ask??? They get some fresh blood and we get to wrestle with the best a few more times.

Edited by Mattyb

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Not too much talk on IN guys in Flo’s Cadet Freestyle Preview, but Fargo’s Cadet’s is where many new faces come out of the woodwork to make a name for themself.  

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6219136-2018-fargo-cadet-freestyle-preview

Agreed. Although I think they’re  overlooking some studs.  There’d be a little more to talk about if Silas was healthy enough to make the trip though. Unfortunately he’s still about 2 weeks away from full fledge banging live in competition format.  The Carter kid from KS who they predicted to win it 195.....Silas has teched and pointed handily in 2 meetings.  Only adds to the sting of having to sit this one out!

I still think our current Cadets will give them plenty to talk about before the week concludes! :)

I fully anticipate plenty of stop signs being brought back to the homefront by Team IN!

Safe travels, have fun and represent!!!

Edited by Perseverance

2 hours ago, Mattyb said:

Man!!! Illinois is deep with Cadet studs. 

How bout this idea... the ISWA gets with the folks in Illinois and propose some sort of state vs state cross over series. Couldn’t hurt to ask??? They get some fresh blood and we get to wrestle with the best a few more times.

Illinois has two things going for them.  

One is a very well established youth system that has helped develop a lot of young talent so the depth is there come Fargo age. I haven’t keep up with it lately but their IKWF and associates youth trips have been churning out proven national talent for awhile.    

And two is their ability to get a huge numbers of that talent to commit to Fargo.  They not only bring one of the largest numbers of wrestlers (maxing out most years), but also the depth at most several weight classes is amazing.  Winning the team title multiple years definitely helps push the commitment for sure, but I also believe they have some established funding programs that helps keep the cost of the trip manageable. From what I’ve heard (haven’t got all the details here) a couple of their fundraising options may not be allows to occur in our state due to the IHSAA by-laws.   

But yes MattB to your point a few cross over events between us and IL, or OH for that matter, could help improve put states competiveness too.  Could just be an open tournament but seems like it could develop more interest from some of our top kids if it was set up as dual meet type competition.  Send two dual team from each age group and have them wrestle against the  two teams from that state for a third match they could wrestle their other state team. Not to mention if the ISWA would count one of those crossover meets (at least in state ones) as part of the 2 State qualifiers it could help push a few more of our top wrestlers to compete and then also get qualified.  

But first we may have to have to keep promoting freestyle competition and Fargo qualification in general.  Fargo’s definitely not for everyone but it seems we should be able to send even a few more top guys that what we are.  In some cases it’s selling them on freestyle in general and in other cases it maybe related to other commitments or costs. If states like Colorado and Georgia are starting to find ways to rise up on the Freestyle scene I would think we could find some ques from them especially with the wrestling talent of the Midwest state that they don’t have which coils further help sharpen up our instate talent.  

Even with good numbers this year we haven’t maxed out our numbers and definitely are missing some possible big names.  Not to mention we are light on our National Duals numbers to which seems crazy based on the number guaranteed matches you get though that event compared to even Fargo.  Plus, if we looks back to a few Central Reginal Qualifiers (one avenue to Fargo past the 3 state qualifiers) IN has had a somewhat smaller than should be expected turnout even when its held in our state.  Would love to see those number increase since state like IL really start to add to their Fargo depth by getting more guys through during those events.  Heck you can technically qualify through any of the Regionals, so whatever the next closest one is could also be an option for a nice travel trip for some IN guys looking to make it to Fargo.  I don’t have dilusions of being a perineal title contender soon, but out state should be able to get the talent in place necessary to be a consistent Top 8 team in both Nationals Duals and Fargo got both Freestyle age groups.  

Edited by MattM

On another note I’m hoping Escobedo and staff will be at the event and can find a few diamonds in the rough that could be big for helping IU in the future.    Ersland can have a couple for Purdue too.  

Cadets looking good racking up some wins in the round of 128.

zeke, Mendez, koontz, Poindexter, littel (who wrestled a a kid that was shorter!) Buchanan all looked great! 

Nelson ran into a hammer at 106 got some wrestling back to do! 

Conley with a bye. 

Edited by Mattyb

Yeah my guy Koontz runs into a buzz saw.. look for him to make a deep run in wrestle backs. Buchanan took a tough loss too. He’s got talent. 

Look for Noah mis to get a ton of matches after a early loss also.

Warren looks like he’s wrestling up... but looked great in his first match to advance.  

Consos round of 64 going on now. 

Edited by Mattyb

Big last second takedown for Zeke Seltzer to move on to the quarters. Beat Kal Miller from Missouri, who's ranked 38th on the freshman big board. 

Edited by Thor

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

Big last second takedown for Zeke Seltzer to move on to the quarters. Beat Kal Miller from Missouri, who's ranked 38th on the freshman big board. 

One more win and coach seltzer will be hitting the road! Amazing win. That kid was huge compared to Zeke. 

Littell cruises to the round of 8. 

Edited by Mattyb

Mendez loses a tough one to Caleb Henson from Georgia, ranked 46th on the freshman big board. Did Mendez get hurt in that match? My video was freezing up during the match and I saw him getting worked on on the mat. 

Mendez lost... coach throws the challenge block and the action took place off camera!!! No bueno!!! I’m sure he will win in  wrestkebacks and bring home some hardware!

Was watching littel so I missed him getting worked on. 

Edited by Mattyb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.